Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Pandas are leaving San Diego Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by SharkFinatic, 25 Mar 2019.

1. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

I just found that NZP's last 5-year panda extension in 2015 was to focus on cub-development research. Unless Mei has a cub this year, there will be no cub to research after Bei returns. The loan officially ends in December 2020, so without a new birth, we could very well be seeing the return of all NZP bears to China. It will be interesting to see if zoo followers will be given ample notice of this, as we have with both previous departures. Notably, NZP does not have the mandate SD did to research elderly bears, so presumably, without a new cub, there would be seemingly no reason for Mei and Tian and Bei not to return to China next year.

StoppableSan and ThylacineAlive like this.
  2. AmbikaFan

......and, in fact, in starker terms, if any of them are suddenly called back to China before 12/15/20, it will suggest even more clearly that the move is retribution for the US trade war. Unlike with San Diego, we know the actual contract end-date, so any violation by early return will have undisputable diplomatic ties. This is already pretty significant, because it's a direct reversal of China's original "panda diplomacy."

TinoPup and StoppableSan like this.
  3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

That would be a shame considering the ginormous panda building they have dedicated to them, although one could argue the money is better spent elsewhere. Perhaps this is the end of giant pandas in American zoos?

4. AmbikaFan

NZP is the National Zoo, the recipient of Ling Ling and Hsing Hsing in 1972, with those cubs gifted to First Lady Pat Nixon and the opening of relations for the first time between the two countries. First Lady Michelle Obama joined with the Chinese First Lady to announce Bei Bei's name. There is a history of DIPLOMACY attached to NZP's pandas, so if anything goes awry with this current loan, it will be seen as much serious in diplomatic circles, a real escalation of problems.

TinoPup likes this.
  5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't think we're going to know about the National Zoo until the last minute, with the contract being up right after the next presidential election.

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That may be a historical truth, just the current one is infamous for a complete lack of and indifference to diplomacy to put it mildly .... (and we are being polite here)!

Aside, the Chinese will not bow to scaremongering demonisations nor bellicose ignorancy on the part of the US Govt. in policies that will ultimately backfire on the US. Alas by all accounts a sorry state of affairs.

For now, I have serious doubts US-China giant panda deals will continue for much longer.

bgeezle513, TinoPup and AmbikaFan like this.
  7. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

Have you guys heard news of bringing pandas back to San Diego any time soon?

8. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not that I know of no, and I think the only statement made on that is that San Diego wants them back, but how feasible is that really?

IndianRhino likes this.
  9. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very feasible... once the global pandemic calms down a lot and the current Presidential administration is removed from office.

~Thylo

10. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Given the current state of diplomatic relations between the United States and China that is exceedingly unlikely. For that matter, given the state of diplomatic relations between the rest of the world and China (after this week's Hong Kong debacle).

11. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Indeed. It's eminently possible that Washington (and to a lesser extent Memphis and Atlanta) could also have their pandas recalled.

I think other countries are less likely, but relations with Australia are deteriorating rapidly so Adelaide will be paying at least some attention.

Arizona Docent and nczoofan like this.
  12. ZooBinh

Could we say this is a final closure statement to Carolyn Maloney's dream? :p ;)

nczoofan and ThylacineAlive like this.
  13. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Pipe dream*

And as such, probably not :p She will seek to become America's first woman President and restore political ties between the two superpowers, all in the name of forcing NYC to have pandas.

~Thylo

nczoofan and ZooBinh like this.
  14. ZooBinh

I'd prefer this over the citrusy man we have now, but the one against him over this.... :p ;)

Very hard decisions :p

NSU42 and ThylacineAlive like this.
  15. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Do we have any idea when the Pandas will come back to the zoo? San Diego has been successful in breeding so I feel it would be smart to send back at least one pair, maybe a second for the Safari Park?

IndianRhino likes this.
  16. NAIB Volunteer

NAIB Volunteer Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Two breeding pairs for one facility? China would never, ever do that nor do I think San Diego could justify that high cost for the lease.

IndianRhino likes this.
  17. Westcoastperson

While I believe you are right about the high cost of two pairs I don't think China would be against it as The Safari Park and Zoo are different facilities and the Safari Park has had breeding success with many species before and having two pairs in different areas under one organization could help identify optimal conditions. What I mean is the safari park could have a different style of exhibit with different enrichment than that of the zoo.

18. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

@Westcoastperson if anyone had seen or heard verifiable news about pandas returning to San Diego, it would most likely have been reported here immediately.

19. Westcoastperson

I asked because the contract for the Smithsonian contract will be ending soon and if that program ends there isn't much hope for San Diego to be able to continue for a while

20. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There's no evidence to believe that pandas even are coming back to the San Diego Zoo for the foreseeable future.

Westcoastperson likes this.