Join our zoo community

Paradise Valley Springs Paradise Valley Springs new lion cub

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by jones, 22 Apr 2010.

1. jones

jones Well-Known Member

On February 2nd 2010 the parks breeding lioness "Luca" gave birth to a male cub who has been dubbed "Chase". He is being hand raised due to a few milk complications from mum.

This is Luca's second successfull cub - her last "Hana" was born 3 years ago, at the same time Luca's mother "Ryo" rejected her cub "Ben" who was raised by his big sister Luca.

the father is once again 'Max' - also born at the park 10 years ago. This is his 5th litter.

Chase's birth now brings the pride numbers to 8 (3.5.0)

2. Connor91

Connor91 Well-Known Member

That's cool,

Does anyone know why the lions at Paradise only produce small litters of cubs. They used to have twins and now the last three litters have been only single cubs. Auckland Zoo's Kura had four cubs in both her litters and this is not unusual.

3. jones

jones Well-Known Member

not sure - but i have wondered this. The last few litters have been single cubs (unless others have died)

of known births in the past 10 yrs there has been 6 litters born - 3 singles and 3 twins

2010 - 1.0 Chase (born to Luca x Max)
    2007 - 0.1 Hana (born to Luca x Max)
    2007 - 1.0 Ben (born to Ryo x Max)
    2005 - 1.1 Aslan / Asha (born to Ryo x Max)
    2004 - 0.2 Luca / Leah (born to Ryo x Max)
    2000 - 1.1 Max / Millie (born to Honey x Jake) - i think

the Paradise Pride have decendents all over the region -

Orana Wildlife Park (Toby - now deceased)
    Zion Wildlife Gardens (Shanina)
    Franklin Zoo (Ruby - was Jade her sister?)
    National Zoo Canberra (Millie)

does anybody know any others?
    also - old Franklin Zoo siblings (Queenie, Gypsy and Eddie) - what circus did they belong to?

4. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Chances are if the others died you will never know.

5. Connor91

Connor91 Well-Known Member

Hi there,

There's also Ryo and Jake's first litter born in 2001, Zak and Zalika (both decesed), Zak has a daughter, Hana.

Jade (1990) was born to Suzie (1986). Ruby (1992) was born to Honey (1988). Suzie and Honey are sisters. Jade and Ruby lived at Auckland Zoo in the tiger enclosure for a while before going to Franklin Zoo.

6. auckland zoo

auckland zoo Member

who was the father to ruby and jade and aney other lion historey word be great

7. auckland zoo

auckland zoo Member

and threre must of been imbreeding in the pride of paradice as well

8. auckland zoo

auckland zoo Member

and was shinia now at zion wild life gardons sister to jake who died in 2003 and was male samson now dead who lived at zion was he one of the first 3 lions at paradise

9. auckland zoo

auckland zoo Member

and who were honey suzzie and jenny born to

10. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Paradise Valley Springs keep breeding against the expressed recommendations of the species coordinator, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this was the case.

11. auckland zoo

auckland zoo Member

yeath your right cause lucas dad max is also her partner and dad to chase and ella and probalry to lots of other lions there aswell

12. daveb

daveb Well-Known Member

Without making any judgements about another institutions, I am surprised at the numbers and frequency of their breeding given that at Auckland we are not currently breeding as the genes are over represented and the stud book keeper has recommend changing the make-up of the pride - i.e. bringing in new males or breeding more from the beta male.
    Where do all their cubs go? Auckland has to ensure that, not only is any breeding for the genetic good of the regional population and that it fits with regional breeding strategies, but that there is somewhere for the eventual cubs to go. This requires planning for not only the initial breeding but also to identify where the cubs will go once they have reached the correct age. I don't this PVS is part of any breeding programme or a member of ARAZPA (may be wrong on that front of cause).

13. jones

jones Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure the PVS is an ARAZPA member, they however appear to ''breed to their own needs'' - they keep their own offspring, utalise them for 'meet the cubs' encounters and transfer them over to the main pride when old enough. as far as i know this is how it has appeared to work for some time now. The pride appears to be kept stable over the years (not becoming overpopualted or under) even tho inbreeding occurs. They have also transferred a few lions to other facilities in AUS and NZ.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2011
  14. lionboy

lionboy Well-Known Member

so who were rubu and jades pearants and who were honey jennnie and suzzies pearants

15. lionboy

sorry i mean suzzie and ruby

16. lionboy

aney one no

17. lionboy

yaya i found the anwser from azi leo cleo and sheba were the first lions at paradse valley spings cleo had suzzy sheba had honey and her brother sam and cleo and leo had jennie and jade in 1990

18. jones

jones Well-Known Member

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere before (I had a quick look but didnt see anything) - but Paradise Valley Spring's latest cubs now have names...

brother and sister "Benji" (m) and "Bella" (f) were born 02/08/2011 at the park.
    I havent read who they were born to but am assuming they belong to resident breeding pair Luca and Max - (can anyone confirm?)

19. jones

jones Well-Known Member

Twin female cubs have been born at PVSWP on 21/02/2012 named "Ayla" and "Aleekah".

They are the offspring of Max (m) and Hana (f) whos last litter, "Benji" (m) and "Bella" (f), were born in August 2011.

These cubs have a long matriarchal line in the park > mum Hana, grand-mother Luca, and great-grandmother Ryo are all still residing at PVSWP. their great-great-grandmother Suzy was also born at the park but died a few years ago.

20. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

Some Paradise lions have gone overseas to another zoo,