Join our zoo community

Parque de la Naturaleza de Cabarceno Parque de la naturaleza de Cabarceno

Discussion in 'Spain' started by kiang, 3 Apr 2010.

1. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Too much bears here :( between 85-100 animals right now.

Antoine and nczoofan like this.
  2. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I’ve always thought that. Plus 10 seems like too much to me.

Antoine likes this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The number of bears really is at capacity. Please remember that the oso pardo is part of park research on bear management. Some of this is explained by their vet. Dr. Borragan.
    LINK:

Their exhibit is characteristic of the local environment and reflects their habitat in Cantabria better than most bear exhibit I have seen elsewhere in Europe do. Their total area is 33ha.

Remember also that the oso pardo is threatened in Espagna and that populations are restricted to Cantabria (), Pyreneos (separate ssp.?), Asturias-Leon

I wonder if and how they could actually have brown bears as candidates for a reintroduction program in parts of Spain where the species has disappeared or has been in severe decline (..). Are the all the oso pardo of local Cantabrian stock or ... (other sources) in Espagna?

BTW: I would be nice if our socios Zoochat can provide us more regular updates on Cabarceno as the last news item was a 2018 elephant birth.

Last edited: 24 May 2020
  4. Kifaru Bwana

BTW: from recent footage on their FB site, it transpires they have new giraffe, and this already for some time now. The video shows 2 individuals with one acquired from Bioparque Valencia, female May (aged 3 now).

I will post the link for you all to check out:
    LINK:

BTW: also some of their herd of Grevy zebra (8 in video) - they maintain a breeding group - seem pregnant too.

Last edited: 24 May 2020
  5. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I keep in touch with Cabarceno, I consider it my home zoo. I can keep u guys updated ;)
    BTW the new giraffes have been in the park since April (I think) 2019, I've seen and they seem to be doing good.
    Cabarceno has the only breeding herd of Grevy's zebra in Spain, the other Grevy's being in Oasis Mini Hollywood.

kiang and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. Kifaru Bwana

Thanks.

BTW: Later on I found out PN Cabarceno actually have 3 giraffe right now (via Facebook footage).

Last edited: 27 May 2020
    SivatheriumGuy likes this.
  7. Corby93

Corby93 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cabarceno bears are not pure one. They are a mixture of european and american descendents... so they're not adequate for reintroductions programs. And there's no place in Cantabria (or in Spain) that you can found more than 100 bears together.

The exhibit is awful for management. They don't know how many are, how many born or how many die... It's beautiful, but not useful for conservation purposes

In 2018 the park received complaints because the exhibitions were not as safe as they should (scapes of bears, deers, antelopes...)

Caos en el zoo de Cabárceno: del ataque de un elefante a la fuga de 80 ciervos y un oso

They spent lot of money in a cableway that doesn't work like should (and so much expensive, is not like for example the Beauval new one)

It's a wonderful landscape but they should adapt the collection plan to it and the exhibitions (for example, instead of have african species, have more european and american species like wolverine, eelks...)

8. SivatheriumGuy

I completely agree with you. The bear exhibit should be better used, 80+bears aren't good business. Cabarceno has loads of flaws, and they don't seem to invest in fixing them. Luckily in my last visit, I was able to see that the stables for various animals (pygmy hippos, gemsbok, waterbuck, common zebras,... this last one had the worse indoor housing in the whole park) are being renovated. I personally think that the biggest problems in the zoo currently are the ugly and tiny farm area and the numbers of tigers and bears. If the farm area was renovated to house more interesting species and the tiger and bear numbers were reduced (and even swapped for subspecific individuals) the park would be a lot better. I personally think that the general direction of the park should be changed.

Despite all of this, I still adore the place and I have a soft spot for Cabarceno.

9. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Isn’t it surprising that the EAZA doesn’t warn Cabarceno about the bears problem ?

10. AthleticBinturong

I’m suprised they haven’t intervened in some way. I’m sure there’s zoos out there that would take some bears. Definitely should be actively castrating them that’s for sure.

11. SivatheriumGuy

Yeah... I hope more things get changed. I have heard that they are trying to get black rhinos, but nothing is confirmed.

12. Kifaru Bwana

They probably have to become continuously successful with their white rhino first. The last birth has been a while back already and the calf is still at the park (born 2013).

13. SivatheriumGuy

I actually have good news :)
    Since we entered quarantine because of the COVID epidemic, Cabarceno started a small photo gallery with photos to "bring the park home". It's supposed that the photos were taken while these months, and one of the photos shows two of the rhinos mating :)
    Hopefully, this means that a baby could be in the way!
    Here is said photo:
    https://parquedecabarceno.com/image...-F52B3B5546F0.png/resizeMod/0/1200/imagen.png
    imagen.png

14. SivatheriumGuy

twilighter and Elephantelephant like this.
  15. Kifaru Bwana

I do hope you are right.

Their last (it died close on its birth) was born in 2015. It is somewhat coincidental that a new rhino cow arrived some months after this birth and no breeding since .... Not sure if that means anything.

16. SivatheriumGuy

All stables (Common zebras, Gemsbok, Pygmy hippos, Wallabies, and Waterbucks) that were being renovated (Except for the elephants, their removal started not long ago) have been already finished. Here you can see some of the pictures:
    Waterbucks
    2D5F92D1BD265EEE66E4235EEE66D8.jpg
    Wallabies
    275F92D1ED2A5EEE67152F5EEE6708.jpg
    Pygmy hippos:
    2B5F92D2FF2F5EEE68282A5EEE681A.jpg

Jungle Man and AthleticBinturong like this.
  17. AthleticBinturong

18. SivatheriumGuy

19. SivatheriumGuy

The elephant house has been finished and the park has received a new male addax.

20. SivatheriumGuy

After some renovations in the yak exhibit, the domestic yak seems to have been phased out from the park. We currently know that a species of deer or antelope is inhabiting this exhibit, but we only have a really bad quality photo and can't really identify which species lives inside. Any suggestions? 1F5FFE56FD395F59EC2A395F59EC18.jpg