Join our zoo community

Parque de Las Leyendas Parque de las Leyendas - Lima

Discussion in 'Peru' started by vogelcommando, 6 Feb 2016.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You have to read it differently. This is clearly English as lost in transliteration / translation. I would say they meant to inform us that they have 130 primates of various species, most notably local species in their collection. Just look at the photographic material they include: howlers and spider monkeys and several tamarin species et cetera. I think I also saw woolly monkey amongst these, but not sure yet.

3. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was at Las Leyendas last year and I apologize that my review is still in the making but stranded halve-way and never got posted (sofar).

It's a very nice Zoo, with quite a lot of good, some bad and a handfull of terrible enclosures. Out of the top of my head, i count around 12 monkey species. Most notable the red Uakari and the black-faced spiders.

Huachipa holds a few more local rarities, most notably two species of titi (see pictures in the gallery).

I really need to finish and post those reviews :(

4. Kifaru Bwana

5. Kifaru Bwana

6. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Indian Rhinos coming to South America:

According to the EAZA Tag Report 2020, Parque de las Leyendas (along with Cotia Zoo in Brazil) will be acquiring Indian Rhinos from the European region. It is hoped that following these transfers to South America, the breeding ban on the species in Europe can be carefully lifted thanks to these new holders: https://www.eaza.net/assets/Uploads/Annual-report/2020-TAG-AR-final-WEB.pdf

7. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Figured I should probably post this here - I kind of forgot about this earlier but on my visit to Parque Las Leyendas on the 14th of this month I saw a Salvin's Albatross in the seabird aviary (with also Peruvian pelicans, Belcher's gull, Inca tern, Guanay cormorant and a Peruvian booby - most of which seemed local rescues).

Don't have much time to post more info about my visit now, but the rest seemed mainly species that were already known for the zoo, that of course include nice rarities like 2 South American fox species, still the pampas cats, the uakaris, monk sakis and many spider/capuchin monkeys etc. The cock-of-the-rock males on-display seemed to me like the aequitorialis subspecies.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2022
  8. Kifaru Bwana

What kind of bird and reptile exhibits do they hold?

9. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Checked a few recent videos of this little known zoo and some real rareties could be seen among them :
    - White-winged trumpeter
    - Southern sea-elephant
    - Pampas cat
    - Culpeo ( aka Andean fox )
    - Sechuran fox ( aka Peruvian desert fox )
    - Giant otter
    - Red uakari
    - Red-crowned titi

10. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Most of these were still there, yeah, except for the sea elephant (a shame!).

Other rarities mammal-wise included Viscacha sp. (common name listed as Southern, scientific name listed as Northern), Large-headed capuchin (loads), White-fronted capuchin, White-bellied spider monkey, Black-faced spider monkey, Red howler monkey sp. (scientific name listed as Colombian, range map included is that of Purus...), Red uakari, Common woolly monkey, Monk saki, Saddleback tamarin sp., Pacarana, Taruca, and I'm sure I missed a few.
    Help with the Viscacha and Red howler identification is welcome, not sure if there are already pictures online but I can upload some later if necessary. Don't have any good pictures of the Saddleback tamarin unfortunately.

Bird-wise, when it comes to rare species they had Spix's guan, Speckled chachalaca, indeed White-winged trumpeter, Jabiru, Roadside hawk, Savanna hawk, Variable hawk, Band-bellied owl, Brown-mandibled aracari, Curl-crested aracari, Crimson-rumped toucanet, Golden-collared toucanet, Plate-billed mountain toucan, Cuvier's white-throated toucan, Versicolored barbet, Mountain caracara, Painted parakeet, Bronze-winged parrot, White-eyed parakeet, aequitorialis Andean cock-of-the-rock, House wren, Grass-green tanager (turned completely blue, similar to how green magpies etc do in captivity!), Blue-winged mountain tanager, Blue-necked tanager, White-lored euphonia, and the seabirds mentioned above.

@Kifaru Bwana with the exception of the Jabiru outdoor pen and a few series of aviaries (a medium-sized area for parrots, a few aviaries/cages for raptors and a set of larger waterbird aviaries for the seabirds, penguins, flamingoes), almost all of the other bird exhibits are glass-fronted, indoors or semi-indoors. Surprisingly I don't think I saw any reptiles besides American crocodiles (in aviaries!), but it looked like they were building/restoring a smallish reptile house with glass-fronted large terraria.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2022
  11. Kifaru Bwana

Nice animal collection

12. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Kifaru Bwana and Haliaeetus like this.