Join our zoo community

Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust Passion for primates?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Rick J, 25 Jul 2013.

1. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Durrell Conservation Academy (formerly the ITC) are hoping to run a new course entitled 'Passion for primates' this September, but it depends on numbers. The course will be taught by various members of the ape, macaque, callitrichid and lemur keeper staff (many of whom are heavily involved in field conservation and research), and includes behind-the-scenes access to the mammal section.

I am just trying to assess potential interest, as the course has been developed, and will be part of future prospectus', but it's pretty short notice for this year.

Here's a link to the course details Passion for primates | Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust

RJ :)

2. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

It sounds great for a primate nut like me, but jersey is just too far to travel for me without it being part of a bigger holiday.

3. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback mazfc! It may be worth emailing [email protected] and finding out if there's any flexibility in accommodation rates for Zoochatters on courses.

Having just completed the ESR (formerly known as Summer School) at the Academy, I found it funny that some of my fellow students were referring to Les Noyers as "the Hogwarts for conservationists"! That made me laugh!

4. squigles1703

squigles1703 New Member

Heyy I am a 3rd year zoology student in NUI Galway and Im really interested in doing this course, but want to make sure I get my money and times worth. Any reviews from anyone that has done it?
    Thanks! :)

5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Durrell....

I have no experience of this course, but attended the 'Conservation Breeding and Husbandry of Lemurs and Callitrichids' last year, which was excellent, and may represent better value for money, although more expensive.

6. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would recommend any of the courses on offer at Durrell. Not only do the presenters deliver excellent lectures and workshops, but the access you get to literature and behind the scenes knowledge make any course here truly unique. The setting is intimate, friendly and professional whilst being steeped in zoological history. The park itself has an awesome hostel which is a 10-15 minute walk (5 minute run) to the coastal path. Lee Durrell is usually around and is very approachable & willing to share some stories whilst reminding you of your duty to contribute the saving species from extinction. When finishing a course at Durrell you leave feeling you're part of an important world-wide community. Go for it!