Join our zoo community

Patna zoo

Discussion in 'India' started by kiang, 17 Nov 2008.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Animal Rights

Animal Rights Well-Known Member

Yes, did see this one. Interesting. The rhino enclosure in patna looks quite decent. Do you know anything about what happened to the Golden Langurs in Patna Zoo?

3. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Good reading. didn't realise san Diego had 54 rhinos! wow!

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

AR,

I cannot find any info on golden langurs Trachypithecus geei ever being exhibitted at Patna Zoo. Perhaps you are mistaken with their common langurs Semnopithecus entellus?

As for Indian rhinos: Patna currently holds 11 (5.6). At least 2 Indian zoos are due to receive a female for breeding purposes from Patna. :D

Jelle

5. dragon(ele)nerd

It is good that they have genetic diversity there, but 5 males .... are there any problems with aggressive behaviour. Or do they seem to get along fine? Or are they kept totally out of range from each other.:confused:

6. Kifaru Bwana

Sure enough India may yet be a developing nation where it concerns zoos, even so Patna Zoo is an expert center for breeding Indian rhinos. Since, 2000 they have witnessed 3.3 births, which is no mean achievement in the Indian zoo context! It is time we recognise these facts! ;)

Patna Zoo is also the proponent for developing the Indian rhino breeding programme. Guwahati Zoo will be the studbook holder, being in situ to Kaziranga and the conservation breeding center for the species. Both Patna Zoo, Kanpur and Delhi Zoos are participants.

Patna Zoo is currently looking at supplying some other Indian zoos with unrelated breeding pairs in an effort to stimulate breeding (as most zoos keep single males and the population is somewhat skewed on that front).

7. dragon(ele)nerd

Thanks Jelle, what I'm trying to understand now is that everyone seems familiar with the rarity of females I'm not in touch with Indian Rhino births... is it that most captive births were male?

8. Kifaru Bwana

The preponderance of male births has been suggested, but I have yet to see complete evidence to that effect. Indian rhinos are held in widely varying captive management environments and so results are difficult to interpret. I suppose the Basel Zoo species coordinator has more on the issue. I will try and find out for sure (after editing my own data and looking at the studbook births at each frequent breeder establishment).

9. dragon(ele)nerd

Thanks Jelle,, With herd animals would be much better if it was the other way round I guess!

10. kiang

According to this report Patna zoo now keeps 5.7 Indian rhino, this is a feature on the latest rhino birth, which the dumb reporter or his producer constantly refers to as a hippo!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  11. Kifaru Bwana

The reporting is obviously testament to the not so rare fact that reporters get their facts wrong when they publish on zoo matters or recent developments.

Coming back on topic though: thankfully the new calf for Hartali is a female once more. It is a welcome addition to the heavily skewed sex ratio of Indian rhinos in Indian zoos!!!

Alas no news yet on the proposed transfers within the Indian zoo community from Patna (which would make up at least 2 more potential pairings). I will try and follow it up with the local zoo managers.

(in all fairness this is only an issue in its prime range state ...., as both the European EEP and North American SSP tally is well in favour of the girls)

12. dragon(ele)nerd

Thanks for the video,.... ahaha super hippo mum.

13. kiang

14. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

They seem to be doing well with them, good work

15. Kifaru Bwana

Current status is 5.7 rhinos at Patna Zoo.

As per some of the latest newspaper clippings 3 female rhinos are pregnant with 1 female bred by the new male from Delhi Zoo (thus introducing a 4th bloodline into Patna Zoo). These births are expected between July-October 2011.

Further to transfers: Sepihijala Zoo is expected to receive a female rhino from Patna Zoo. Not sure when the transfer will get the go-ahead from CZA Central Committee.

16. Animal Rights

Patna Zoo provided one of the most satisfying animal videos I have ever taken during the Indian Zoo Inquiry project : a baby rhino suckling a mother. This sequence was shot for nearly twenty minutes without interruption. I read in a news item they have received some rhinos from San Diego and are in agreements with Singapore Zoo.

Patna Zoo had some other rare animals : several Clouded Leopards that bred well. Last time I saw only one. Also a Golden Cat.

Most interestingly they had a colony of Golden Langurs that has largely gone unnoticed principally because they were said to have been obtained from Mir Shikar Toli, an illegal wildlife market in Patna. A stalwart forest officer from Bihar named S P Shahi wrote on this place in a book called 'Backs To The Wall.'

They also had a unique exercise : a keeper named Ram Pyare used to play with the tigers, John Aspinall style. He even used to take out a white tiger named Rinki out of the cage in the morning to the zoo canteen during his breakfast. He has been extensively covered in the Indian media.

17. Animal Rights

Animals in city zoo find a surrogate parent [Patna]
    0 Comments | Times of India, The, Feb 28, 2009 | by Kumar, Madhuri

Animals in city zoo find a surrogate parent [Patna] | Times of India, The Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET

Last edited by a moderator: 16 May 2011
  18. Kifaru Bwana

1) What link to Singapore Zoo are you referring too? Is this in terms of Indian rhinos or .... anything other?

2) Patna Zoo has good management of Indian rhinos, but is not the studbook keeper for the species. The current set up is Assam State Zoo, Kanpur Zoo and the National Zoo, New Delhi + Patna Zoo.

3) In terms of Indian rhino sex ratios: it would be helpful to set up an exchange of males for females with European zoos. This in tandem with sound advice re. more amenable exhibit designs for Indian rhino and the India programme would be sailing on its way. :)

19. Animal Rights

These articles :

Patna Zoo to see 3 rhino births soon - Patna - City - The Times of India
    Patna Zoo to see 3 rhino births soon
    Pooja Kashyap, TNN, May 25, 2010, 07.34am IST

Patnaites' lack of civic sense irks Singapore official - The Times of India

Last edited by a moderator: 16 May 2011
  20. Kifaru Bwana

I look forward to the Singapore Zoo becoming more involved in India.
    It would be a in-direct link between EAZA/SSP and the Indian region. The zoo is particularly good on landscaping ... :D

Singapore Zoo has just had a new - proven - female rhino imported ex SSP. I would expect good tidings there too.

Peculiar, that in the first newspaper feature ... the gestation period is put at 18 months ...