Join our zoo community

Paul & Lynsey's Zoo Tour

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by migdog, 4 May 2015.

1. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Haven't updated the thread for a while, for those that haven't seen them, #89-91 are now on my Youtube page:

Apenheul - The best primate park we've visited:

Amersfoort - Dated in places but has a fantastic nocturnal walk-trough exhibit:

Artis - Loved the tropical hall:

I have two more Dutch zoos to finish (Avifauna and Blijdorp) then on to the rest (AM only 26 behind!). I really need to quit work for a year just to catch up! :)

2. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You should monetize your YouTube videos and get ZooChatters to watch them repeatedly... :D

3. migdog

I did have that conversation with someone recently, once I get to the 1000 subscribers it might be a reality lol

Brum likes this.
  4. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You need to finish every video with a cheesy voice-over saying "Don't forget to smash like and subscribe to be entered into our prize draw!" and never do a prize draw... :D

TNT and migdog like this.
  5. migdog

I like your thinking! Maybe I should hire your for your marketing skills! :p

Brum likes this.
  6. migdog

In these dark and troubling times, there is only one silver lining about being stuck indoors - I have no excuse now for editing and finishing my videos. I have just completed numbers 96 and 97.

#96 is now online:

Nice tropical house with lots of different butterflies and a few free flying birds.

And #97 will be online in the next few days (Cerza). Hopefully the videos will remind you of the good times...

sooty mangabey, TNT and twilighter like this.
  7. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nice work...and a good concept,the next one (Cerza) will be the first zoo Ive seen from you that Ive not yet visited, so I look forward to that. I will say ,however,that the sound tracks are absolutely ghastly and Im thankful for the mute facility...why zoos need europop/soft rock is beyond me. A commentary might have been much nicer.

8. Tim Brown

As one or two people here know, im a record label owner/rare record dealer....purely in soul and funk. Im not expecting the world according to Bobby Womack or Ty Karim, but the fact remains that some forms of music are more intrusive than others. I visited Ueno Zoo in Tokyo a couple of years ago and the departure music was Dvorak`s "New World Symphony"(best known for Hovis ads in the UK)...hardly Otis Redding, but restorative,peaceful and calm.

9. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Like Tim, I am very sure of what music I like and don't like (unlike Tim, my tastes go towards the Appalachian mountains and west Texas, rather than Detroit and Wigan....). Like him, the music chosen by @migdog is not to my own personal taste. However, unlike him, i really enjoy its presence here on these (brilliant) films - in part because the films are edited to chime with the music, in part because I like to hear music I wouldn't otherwise hear (it would be rather odd if the films were sound tracked by Dwight Yoakam and Waylon Jennings).

10. migdog

Thanks or your feedback @Tim Brown. I am open to ideas, it's just that listening to the radio is generally my forum into finding music that I think might work for the videos. I feel upbeat, poppy songs just give them a cheerful feel. If I'm being honest, the music isn't completely to my taste either. I certainly don't listen to Sam Fender/Little Mix et al in my spare time, but I'm struggling to find a suitable Slipknot or Rammstein song that would work as well! :) Any musical suggestions are welcome and I will certainly consider them for future videos.

And thanks @sooty mangabey for the kind words, even if you don't like the music :)

For now, Cerza is online, I hope you enjoy (on mute ;)):

pipaluk, TNT, Mr. Zootycoon and 2 others like this.
  11. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I see you're a man of culture as well!

I really enjoy your videos by the way, especially now zoo visiting is severely limited. The music is okay, not entirely my preference either but it works quite well.

migdog likes this.
  12. Tim Brown

I DID enjoy it ,a treat for these zoo-less times(even if i did also watch it on mute). Music has been too much of my life to accept it just as a background(or wall paper),and if its not my cup of tea it probably grates on me more than most folks. My problem. Just to offer up a little info courtesy of the latest Int Zoo Yearbook ..Cerza is near Lisieux,consists of 193 acres,has 60 mammal species,48 bird species,9 of reptile and amphibian and 22 species of fish..a total of 139 species. like most French zoos it is privately owned and in 2017 had 300,000 visitors.

pipaluk and migdog like this.
  13. migdog

Ah yes, I went to see Rammstein last July in Prague, was an amazing show. I have tickets to go see them in Cardiff this June if it doesn't get cancelled. I'm keeping my finger crossed not all my 2020 plans are ruined lol

Mr. Zootycoon likes this.
  14. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

Count me as a subscriber,your videos are pretty cool and not many people make videos of them touring the zoo.

migdog likes this.
  15. migdog

Two more videos are online.

#98 - The now-closed (to the public) Exotic Zoo, nice little collection, and fun armadillo experience.

#99 - ZOOM Erlebniswelt Gelsenkirchen. Some really nice exhibits, not too keen on the one-way loop system but probably handy in current times when re-opening:

Mr. Zootycoon and twilighter like this.
  16. migdog

Zoo Dortmund had the pleasure/honour of being our 100th different zoo. Was gutted we didn't see the palm-civets (even after @TeaLovingDave kindly pointed out to me where they were), but did see the short-tailed opossum, so we went away satisfied :)

17. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Balances out, as the STO had not arrived at the time of my own visit and I have still not seen the species :p

migdog likes this.
  18. migdog

We finally got to see baby on our final trip of 2018, what an amazing animal. We could've sat and watched him all day...

19. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Have you ever been to Dublin zoo and Fota wildlife park?

20. migdog

Not yet, but hope to in the future. We're currently in a hotel just down the road from Highlands Wildlife Park.

Are there many collections in Ireland?