Join our zoo community

Philadelphia Zoo Philadelphia Zoo 2010-2012

Discussion in 'United States' started by mstickmanp, 24 Jan 2010.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Indian rhino is 35 year old Xavira. I would not think that they would transfer out an elderly rhino elsewhere. Perhaps, she was recently deceased or just behind the scenes somewhere else?

As to the usage of the old Pachyderm House as new Childrens Zoo location. That is a great idea.

I suppose it will also open up the old location for new exhibit (perhaps a new African savannah)?

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

@elephantking: thanks for posting the link to the new map! Philadelphia's children's zoo is arguably one of the worst of any major American zoo so I'm excited to find out what is created where the outdated pachyderm house used to be. Does anyone have any site plans for the kiddie area? The area where the okapi is moving to is not very impressive at all, and does anyone know if the zoo is actually going to overhaul that area?

3. fkalltheway

fkalltheway Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Philly Zoo has announced more about what's going on with the new Children's Zoo. I posted the link on a photo on here but I'll put it here too in case anybody missed it.
    Philadelphia Zoo - The Hamilton Family Children's Zoo & Education Center
    Under the Video and Photo section there is a video which includes some sketches of the new children's zoo design.

4. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well it looks promising. They'll still have some of the basic Children Zoo animals, but at least they are making it interactive and engaging for both the animals and the children. I love the goat bridge at the beginning of the exhibit. It reminds me of the story, The Three Billy Goats and I love that whimsical touch to the exhibit.

5. JaxElephant

JaxElephant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

More babies!
    Two snow leopards born at Philadephia Zoo | Philadelphia Inquirer | 06/23/2011

6. blospz

I know in the past we had a discussion what happened to the Asian rhino. Did she move, was she off exhibit, or did she passed away? Well, I assume she was off exhibit, probably because she wasn't doing too well and unfortunately it looks like she has finally passed away. Here is a link: Philadelphia Zoo's beloved rhino Xavira dead at 35 - NewsTimes

7. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

The Treetop Trail opened a couple of days ago, and by the looks of it the trail will provide some outdoor access to the primates that live in the Rare Animal Conservation Center.

Philadelphia Zoo - Philadelphia Zoo Unveils Treetop Trail

Also, nice to see that they decided to use my Bolivian Gray Titi Monkey photo!

8. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

How does it work? Are they free-ranging?

9. mstickmanp

No, it appears to be a series of mesh tubes/passageways that go around the plaza. Here is a video from youtube:

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  10. mstickmanp

11. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hope the old children's zoo will be transformed into a new elephant exhibit (for elderly female African Elephants that are no longer able to breed or - but probably more expensive - for younger African Elephant bulls). The return of the E.'s would draw more visitors to the zoo and the Elephant would perfectly fit to that corner of the zoo (beside the Carnivore Kingdom it would be an African Savannah theme).

By the way: Is there a chance that Philadelphia Zoo can get more space? Maybe from areas across the 34th Street?

12. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

Elephants eventually moving into the area of the old childrens zoo is exactly what zoo staff informed us of during our recent visit to the zoo.

Team Tapir

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any plans to redo some of the pachyderm areas (ele, rhino)?

14. blospz

@Kifarubwana, they are turning the old pachyderm areas into the new Children's zoo.

15. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

I visited today and took pics of the new treetop trails along with other aspects of the zoo. I think the new addition is a solid and innovative one.

Pics will be up soon.

16. mstickmanp

Great, I can't wait to see photos!

17. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

OK, pics are up.

18. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

New jaguar cub going out on exhibit. Since the father is a recent import from Belize, this is good news for the jaguar SSP.

Philadelphia Zoo - Jaguar and Snow Leopard Cubs

There are also two snow leopard cubs going on exhibit next month. Good time for cat lovers on the east coast. (I also noticed Big Cat Falls has a minor name change as apparently the exhibit is now sponsored by a different bank).

19. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

20. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

This is a spectacular idea and we are surprised more zoos don't attempt to get this done.Detroit is the only other zoo we have visited with a parking garage.It frees up so much space especially for landlocked urban zoos like Philly.For example we have often said that a parking garage would be the only hope to expand the elephant enclosure at the Buffalo Zoo.However we realize that city politics can often be a very difficult thing for an institution such as a zoo to deal with, which really is a shame.

Team Tapir