Join our zoo community

Philadelphia Zoo Philadelphia Zoo News 2009

Discussion in 'United States' started by Hix, 6 Jan 2009.

1. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

I think it is best to have both glass and open viewing opportunities of animals. That way you can get as close as possible to animals, but then also get a better photo opportunity and be able to hear the animals better. The SDWAP's Lion Camp is a great example of this.

I'll be going to this zoo this summer, so I'll chime in with my opionion afterwards.

2. JonnyS18

JonnyS18 Well-Known Member

Excellent! I heard that Krepke & Katia sired a cub bak a good few years ago, but i don't think they've had any more since have they...??

3. JonnyS18

JonnyS18 Well-Known Member

Speaking of the leopards ive just noticed that Katia (the female amur) has been removed from the philly zoo website... hope thats not a bad thing :confused:

4. Zoo Visitor

Zoo Visitor Well-Known Member

Philadelphia Zoo McNeil Avian Center

None of what I have said before matters quite so much to me now. I still love Jungle World, but I have seen my favorite zoo's new McNeil Avian Center, which will open to the public May 30th, and it is even better than Jungle World - in my opinion, of course.

But, in this case, I think almost everyone who sees this fantastic new avian center will agree with me. There are no barriers between visitors and birds, except fine mesh in a few areas, and NO piped-in sounds.

There are birds everywhere, singing, chirping, flapping wings ... perched or flying overhead at times (I even got bird poop in my hair!)

There are birds from Africa (sacred ibis, hammerkop, Egyptian plover ...) from Hawaii, from Indonesia ... it is a bird-lover's paradise, as well as a zoo visitor's paradise.

THIS is what I how I want a zoo exhibit to be designed.

I hope everyone will flock to the Philadelphia Zoo to see it soon.

5. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

Please give a species list after visiting. I am very curious about all the species that inhabit the Avian Center. The exhibit might be nice but I want to know the collection.

6. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I was personally involved in JungleWorld and the M.A.C.
    All I can say is....wow! I cannot understand your taste. :confused:

7. tigertiger

tigertiger Well-Known Member

While I'm not picking at your taste (to each their own), I have to genuinely ask two questions:

1. Have you ever been to an aviary prior? What your describing is like every single other aviary I have ever been to at far lesser and far better zoos. I've never seen an aviary that wasn't open flight or involved a soundtrack. Have you?

2. Would this impress you as much if it wasn't at your favorite zoo, as you pointed out? Have you been to Queens & seen their aviary or National? I'll make it to Philadelphia eventually but both of those are top-notch.

I don't understand how Jungleworld can be topped by a bird exhibit--it's like saying my favorite insect exhibit is Tiger Mountain--just not on the same parallel you know?

That being said, what's the species listing?

8. tigertiger

You were defending them the other day :p

But to be fair, most people don't understand how I can love Cincinnati so I guess I understand zoovisitor to an extent.

9. Zooplantman

No, don't get me wrong. I defend @zoo visitors right to have her preferences and love what she loves. And I am fond of Philly Zoo for several reasons, I just have a hard time understanding what her taste is!

The former Bird House at Philly (which I was involved in 20 years ago!) had open flight areas, too, but you couldn't walk into them. But as you said, there are so many excellent walk-through aviaries and this small M.A.C. - which has a way to go for the plants to grow in - is modest compared to them. @zoo Visitor has a particular kind of zoo experience she loves and I'm trying to understand it!

BTW - I would categorize Cincy and Philly as similar types of zoo styles. Not equal to each other, but of the same mold in a way. As opposed to the Bronx/Woodland Park style, for example. I'm VERY fond of Cincy Zoo!

10. tigertiger

I'd agree, I'd even go a step further and say that many of us have tastes that aren't rational but we still have them. But they're still our opinions. I don't understand her likes much either (sorry, zoovisitor) because it seems very much "I like this thing, well except in this case, this case, this case, this case, this case and this case" but she definitely has her right to them!

As someone who loves aviaries, I really don't think Philly's will do it for me but of course--there's nothing to say it certainly won't.

I'd agree with Philly/Cincinnati being similar (as both are inner city zoos that suffer eternally from being bound). I think on many levels Cincinnati is in a completely different class but there are a lot of startling similarities now that I think about it!

11. Zoo Visitor

Below is a list of bird/species I actually saw:

Victoria crowned pigeon
    hammerkop
    sacred ibis
    toucanet
    araçari
    Egyptian plover
    Micronesian kingfisher
    cattle egret
    Bali mynah
    Nicobar pigeon
    greater hornbills
    blue-breasted kingfisher
    java sparrow
    pink-necked dove
    blue-bellied roller
    golden breasted starling
    palawan peacock pheasant
    Guam rail
    sunbittern
    guira cuckoo
    black-necked stilt

12. Zoo Visitor

Please don't misunderstand what I am writing here - I love communicating with people who passionately love zoos in general, or any zoo in particular. My criticism of the Bronx Zoo was that it was closing exhibits, not of anyone who happens to love that zoo.

Whenever someone has a favorite exhibit, or favorite zoo, or really likes an exhibit, I understand, even if I don't agree. That won't stop me from passionately stating that my favorite is a different zoo or exhibit, but I hope I have not criticized anyone for having an opinion different than mine.

But it seems that some of you here are more passionate in your criticism of someone else's personal likes and dislikes than you are passionate about stating your own personal likes and dislikes.

Why can't you just say what zoos you like or don't like, what exhibits are your favorites or which ones you dislike, and why you like or dislike (or love or hate) them without also saying or implying that the opinion of someone who has a different favorite is irrational?

We can each love a different zoo, have a different favorite exhibit, or we can change our opinions if we see something new we like better ... the important thing is that we love zoos, whichever ones they are, and the more passionately we love them, the better.

But passionately hating someone else's opinion is not good (in my opinion!)

13. Zoo Visitor

First, I said there are NO soundtracks. I am happy about that, because I don't like soundtracks.

Second, Yes, I have been to many aviaries. There are many wonderful aviaries, but I like the McNeil Avian Center best for all the reasons I gave plus I know the birds (many were here before, in the old Birdhouse).

Yes. But it definitely makes me happy and proud that it is in my favorite zoo.

Exhibit design has always been very important to me, especially in recent years when I have noticed a tendency to create exhibits that do not provide visitors with an opportunity to see and hear the animals.

I really like immersion exhibits, as I have said. And since I love all animals and birds, I thought it would be okay to compare the two immersion exhibits based on the features I like or dislike rather than on the animals/birds...

These are the bird species I actually saw during the preview. This is not an official list.

Victoria crowned pigeon
    hammerkop
    sacred ibis
    toucanet
    araçari
    Egyptian plover
    Micronesian kingfisher
    cattle egret
    Bali mynah
    Nicobar pigeon
    greater hornbills
    blue-breasted kingfisher
    java sparrow
    pink-necked dove
    blue-bellied roller
    golden breasted starling
    palawan peacock pheasant
    Guam rail
    sunbittern
    guira cuckoo
    black-necked stilt

14. Zoo Visitor

First, I said there are NO soundtracks. I am happy about that, because I don't like soundtracks.

Second, Yes, I have been to many aviaries. There are many wonderful aviaries, but I like the McNeil Avian Center best for all the reasons I gave plus I know the birds (many were here before, in the old Birdhouse).

Yes. But it definitely makes me happy and proud that it is in my favorite zoo.

Exhibit design has always been very important to me, especially in recent years when I have noticed a tendency to create exhibits that do not provide visitors with an opportunity to see and hear the animals.

I really like immersion exhibits, as I have said. And since I love all animals and birds, I thought it would be okay to compare the two immersion exhibits based on the features I like or dislike rather than on the animals/birds...

These are the bird species I actually saw during the preview. This is not an official list.

Victoria crowned pigeon
    hammerkop
    sacred ibis
    toucanet
    araçari
    Egyptian plover
    Micronesian kingfisher
    cattle egret
    Bali mynah
    Nicobar pigeon
    greater hornbills
    blue-breasted kingfisher
    java sparrow
    pink-necked dove
    blue-bellied roller
    golden breasted starling
    palawan peacock pheasant
    Guam rail
    sunbittern
    guira cuckoo
    black-necked stilt

15. Zoo Visitor

I don't understand why you need to understand what my taste is.

Can't we all just be glad we have found so many others who love zoos to communicate with? Is it necessary to agree about which ones we love most, or which exhibits we prefer?

What if you never understand it ... is it necessary for you to love, or even like, my favorite zoo or exhibit? Or for you to want the same things that I want from a zoo experience?

The AZA conducted a study a few years ago that categorized zoo visitors into five distinct groups:

“Explorers” are curiosity-driven and seek to learn more about whatever they might encounter at
    the institution;
    “Facilitators” are focused primarily on enabling the experience and learning of others in their
    accompanying social group;
    “Professional/Hobbyists” feel a close tie between the institution’s content and their professional
    or hobbyist passions;
    “Experience Seekers” primarily derive satisfaction from the fact of visiting this important site;
    and
    “Spiritual Pilgrims” are primarily seeking a contemplative and/or restorative experience.

I wouldn't expect all zoo visitors to agree.

16. Zooplantman

Whoa there, ZooVisitor, don't get defensive. Trying to understand someone's thoughts/opinions/feelings is not an attack on them.

17. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

That's a nice collection but being from Boston I rather go to Bird World at Bronx to see their collection rather than Phillys. I will check out Avian Center because I do visit Philly zoo every other year and always like new exhibits but the collection is nothing spectacular. Bronx has most of those species plus 2 types of bird of paradise, great blue turaco and golden mantled quetzal just to name a few.

18. zebedee101

zebedee101 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Out of interest zoo visitor, which one do you classify yourself as? Professional/Hobbyist would be how I classify myself.....

19. Zoo Visitor

I forgot the turaco. There is at least one.

20. Zoo Visitor

Yes, but saying it is difficult or almost impossible to understand someone's thoughts/opinions/feelings and constantly questioning the thoughts/opinions/feelings as if they are so unusual or unbelievable that they can't possibly be rational is an attack.

I know a lot of people who love the Philadelphia Zoo - present and past residents of Philadelphia, and some who never lived in Philadelphia.

I know people who don't particularly like it, too. But none of them has ever referred to my opinion as irrational.

It seems to me that the only possible reason for thinking someone's positive opinion of any zoo is irrational would be if the zoo did not provide good care for the animals.

Otherwise, opinions, likes, favorites, are all subjective and should not be described or talked about in any sort of negative way.

The same is true regarding my opinions of what a zoo should be, and what its value to society is, or what I want from a zoo experience. In my discussions with other people, my thoughts about this are often referred to as "traditional", and sometimes as "old-fashioned", but never before has anyone accused me of taking a "moral highground" for sticking to what I believe, nor has anyone made it sound like what I want from a zoo experience is so unusual that it is almost strange.

I am not angry, hurt or upset, but I am somewhat exhausted from trying so hard to explain what I think and why I think it in a way people will understand, especially since I am not succeeding at all, it appears.

Last edited: 19 May 2009