Join our zoo community

Phoenix Zoo Phoenix Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by Ituri, 31 Dec 2007.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A huge improvement. Although there is nothing wrong with frog exhibits, it bothered me how they had all these frogs and toads from all over the world in the middle of the Arizona Trail. Now if they can just return bald eagles to the large aviary instead of andean condors, the theming will be appropriate throughout.

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Be interested what kind of reptiles and amphibians are on show in the AZ trail.

Also, I would have thought that Californian condor would be a best fit for the bird of prey aviary ...:)

3. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I second that, I would love to see a species list from "Diversity in the Desert"!

4. Jesszoo

Jesszoo Member

Diversity in the Desert

I went down and took down a list yesterday. I think you will agree this is a much more appropriate species list for the AZ Trail.

Tiger Salamander
    Chiricahua Leopard Frog
    Checkered Garter Snake
    Couch's Spadefoot Toad
    Red Spotted Toad
    Great Plains Toad
    Long-Nosed Snake
    Western Hognose Snake
    Woodhouse's Toad
    Eastern Patch-nosed Snake
    Sonoran Desert Toad
    Desert Kingsnake
    Sonoran Lyre Snake
    Desert Rosy Boa
    Chuckwalla
    Desert Iguana

There is one aquarium also, and it's species are a little misplaced, but at least on the right track:
    Surinam Toad
    Peruvian Severum
    Firemouth Cichlid

And then there are still the very misplaced:
    African Bullfrog & Vietnamese Mossy Toad

These are the signs on the back wall:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And if anyone ever comes to the zoo, make sure to say hi! I am usually in trains these days, but also Stingray Bay, Monkey Village, Petting Zoo and Giraffe Encounter. :)
    [​IMG]

5. Arizona Docent

The dates for 2012 summer night events (Prowl and Play) have been set. They are June 9, July 14, August 11. If anyone plans to go, make sure you buy your tickets in advance online. There is an express lane for prepaid tickets and the line to buy tickets at the door is very long. If you do not prepay, it will take you 20 minutes just to get through admissions.

6. Arizona Docent

7. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Jesszoo

Jesszoo Member

It is with a heavy heart that I let you all know that Duchess passed away this morning. As staff, volunteers and friends, we have been mourning her condition for the past several days and knew that this day would be coming, although not knowing exactly when that day would be.

Over the past few days, Duchess’s condition had been worsening. Our world-class veterinary team, alongside her keepers, made the difficult decision to humanely euthanize her this morning. This is never an easy decision, but one that was made to ensure her dignity and peace in her final days.

We are going to be planning a Celebration of Life for next weekend, Saturday, June 30th. Her loss is being felt all over the zoo and wonderful comments and memories and photos have been flooding into the zoo's Facebook page. She was definitely the matriarch of the zoo, and will be missed greatly.

9. Arizona Docent

Starting October 1, 2012, the zoo will no longer allow people to ride their bicycles on zoo grounds. To the best of my knowledge, they are the only US zoo that currently does allow it.

Also in October, the new entrance is scheduled to open. It is currently under construction, with a temporary entrance located at the childrens zoo.

10. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

We have always felt that this was a cool and unique privilage at Phoenix.Were they starting to have problems?What prompted the decision to change this?

Team Tapir

11. Arizona Docent

I got it from a brief announcement in the zoo magazine. No real explanation was given, just a blanket statement "for the safety and enjoyment of all of our guests, this activity will not be permitted..."

Perhaps JessZoo will give us the real inside info.

12. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

IIRC, OKC had bike rentals last time I was up there.

13. Jesszoo

Jesszoo Member

From what the Rangers are saying, they are tired of all the accidents happening. People running into other people, kids falling and breaking their arms. I know a lot of people are going to be unhappy. I personally think they should allow members to still bring their bikes. It would be another perk of membership and they would be "regulars" who theoretically would know the rules and use them responsibly.

On a personal note: AZA will be held at the zoo as was previously stated. I was told by my manager that I may attend just about any of the talks that I would like! I am SO excited!! :D :D :D

14. Arizona Docent

The fennec fox exhibit has been converted to a tortoise exhibit. Two species - pancake and (I think) radiated?

I went to night zoo last night (missed the ones in June and July) and they have added a lot more colorful lights in a couple areas than they had last summer. A really nice effect - highly recommended if you are ever in Phoenix in the summer. Of course no one who doesn't live here would ever visit Phoenix in the summer (which is often ten degrees hotter than even my locale of Tucson). When I got back to my car in the parking lot at 9:20pm - well past dark - the dash display said "outside temperature 102F!"

15. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

That's too bad. I enjoyed visiting with the Fennecs when I went that way to the Tiger/Lion exhibit (usually I go past the Zebras to Cheetahs). They have been at the zoo for quite some time so it's sad they're gone. SW Wildlife Conservation has a Fennec that was discovered under someone's truck. In Gilbert, if I'm remembering correctly.

16. Jesszoo

Jesszoo Member

AZ Docent- did you go to Prowl on Friday or Saturday night? Did you ride the train or go to SRB? If so, you probably saw me :)

17. Arizona Docent

Sorry - I didn't see this post until now. I went Saturday night. I never ride the train and I do not know what an SRB is, so it is safe to say I did not go. But if you saw a tall skinny guy with a tripod then you saw me.

In other news, the zoo will host a 50th Anniversary celebration on November 17-18. Zoo magazine says it will have examples (photos I presume) of old and new exhibit designs as well as some old and new veterinary tools. The link I am posting says "information to come" right now, but I assume will have more details very soon.
    The Phoenix Zoo: 50th Anniversary

18. chaninfinch

chaninfinch New Member

why was the alligator exibit removed?

19. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

20. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member