Join our zoo community

Photo gallery updates

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simon Hampel, 4 Jan 2008.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

By the way - if you are wanting to include photos from the gallery in your post, there are a couple of new options for this.

If you look for the "Linked Thumbnail" option and paste that into your post you'll get this:

[​IMG]

But then if you click on the little icon at the end of that line: [​IMG] ... you'll get two more options.

The "Linked Medium" option looks like this:

[​IMG]

One of these days when I find some time, I'll spend some time improving how that all works - but it does the job for now.

2. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

hay sim, love new layout of pics! Just one thing, i am not fussed on the one thing. you used to be able to click on the picture, and it would come to full size that the member added. do you get me? sorry not very pc literate. Can i get the full size pic any othe rway. (just i like to be able to get a full pic, to see more detail, such as the new lion/tiger exhibit pics added, i can oly get a avergae pic)

3. Simon Hampel

You should be able to click on the "medium" image in the gallery and it will open up in a "lightbox" optimised to your screen size. This is better than the old way it used to work - since you couldn't see the whole image at once.

If you also want to see the raw file - I can put a link in place that allows you to access that more easily.

4. Zoo_Boy

yea thts awesome, i honestly dont like the 'light box', cause its basically just the same image, size and all. so yea a link to the raw file would b great!

5. Simon Hampel

What resolution is your screen running at ? You must be at very low resolution to only see a small image. You aren't running at 800x600 are you ?

The Lightbox works well when you have a high res screen - you see the same "medium" image as everyone else, but when you click the lightbox, you get close to the best resolution you can on your monitor (that is assuming the original photo was higher than 600px resolution!)

6. Zoo_Boy

i have no idea. its not a small image, but as it normally was, and when the light box opens, its the same size as original. i just liked it when you clicked on the image, it came up as a bigger image, that you could actually see more stuff, specially for images of exhibits.

7. Simon Hampel

Could you actually see the entire image at once, or did you have to scroll to see it ?

8. Zoo_Boy

scoll, thtas how it used to be (when open in new window). Tht was good, get more detail/zoom. (depending on original image size)

im at 1024x 768- normal i think.

9. Simon Hampel

By the way - I should warn everyone ... if you link to a photo from the gallery in your forum post and then move that photo to a new gallery category, the photo will no longer show up in the forum, since (unfortunately), the path to the photo includes the category in the name (which is a really silly thing to do from a design point of view).

It's not that big of a deal - just something you need to be aware of.

10. Zoo_Boy

kool, thnx sim!

11. Simon Hampel

Okay - I've added a couple of links to the lightbox image.

When you click on a medium image in the photo gallery and see the lightbox image, there are two links at the bottom left of the image after the image title (see attached screenshot)

The "Gallery" link takes you to the medium image (that's mostly just there for when you click on a photo in the forums and want to see the image in the gallery)

The "Original" link takes you to the original raw file - which will be opened in your browser window. You can then zoom in to 100% size and see all the detail if you wish.

Attached Files:

12. Simon Hampel

Okay I've also changed the code in the photo gallery for linking to photos in forum posts.

You can now just paste the "photo" code or the "thumb" code into your post, and it shows the photos with the photo title below. When you click on the photo you get the lightbox image (which contains a link back to the photo gallery or to view the original photo).

Photo:

[photo=1852;2;199903c_-_Taronga_Zoo_-_A-17.jpg]Sunbears - Taronga Zoo - 1999[/photo]

Thumb:

[thumb=1852;2;199903c_-_Taronga_Zoo_-_A-17.jpg]Sunbears - Taronga Zoo - 1999[/thumb]

13. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I love the sun bear picture Sim!

14. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Sim et al

Also loving new photo gallery format.

Thanks Sim for pandering to us UK members.

Various people have requested specific pictures from me and that is very gratifying......suddenly there is a proper outlet for my pictures of enclosures etc!! Bear with me guys, will post some more Dublin, Belfast, Marwell/ Okapi soon (but sorry Toddy, Bergen Crocs are a no go).

Also thanks for your reply Sim re: size of pictures. My question was related to the thumbnails in the gallery. For example, if I go to my photos.....the small pictures are of different sizes (they used to be all the same). At first I thought this corresponded to the original size of the picture but it dosn't as some bigger PX are smaller thumbnails.

Anyway, its a tiny issue and probably not worth spending loads of time on or may just be my pc or something......

Still having a little trouble removing e-mail alerts for pictures, etc though. Signed up to these when I joined but now find that I visit the site so frequently I just don't need them and they clog up my in-box?? Can you do it from your end?

Upwards and onwards for 08.

Dean:)

15. Simon Hampel

You might be seeing cached images - if you force a page refresh (CTRL-F5 in your browser) you should get the new larger thumbnails. If not - there may be one or two photos which didn't convert correctly when I changed to the larger format (it happens).

16. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Few pics added - including Chinese monal from China for Hornbill.

Can somebody PM me how to upload pics by bulk? It's too slow.

17. Writhedhornbill

I've Uploaded nearly 90 pictures today!

Take a look, there are lots of Curassow, Gorilla (Mainly eastern Lowland) and Babirusa pictures..

18. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

You take great close ups, very crisp, if that makes sense can't find the words for it.

19. Writhedhornbill

Yes it does. Thanks!

Most of the pictures I've just uploaded are mine, there are a few taken by my dad (he's got a big posh camera) but most are quite old too!

20. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

What camera do you use?