Join our zoo community

Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens Photography requests?

Discussion in 'United States' started by Oddernod, 28 Jun 2014.

1. Oddernod

Oddernod Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Looks like I'm going to be spending the day at the zoo this weekend — anyone have any requests for pictures? I don't think the jaguar exhibit is up and running yet but I know there are several new additions to the zoo since the last time I was there.

Let me know what you may want to see and I'll be sure to grab a couple pictures

(by the way, I love this place — stoked that I happened to come across it!)

2. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I may have to take you up on your offer. :) Which zoo?

3. Oddernod

Gah — I didn't think about how to categorize this post! Los Angeles Zoo.

Btw, I'm so new here I don't know how to get these posts to be formatted or indexed to the specific zoo. Are there tags somewhere I missed?

This feels as bad as when I double-posted my first couple of photos :eek:

4. Shellheart

It's totally fine,I did the exact same thing when I first joined. When you click "New Thread" to start a new post,there's a box that says "Prefix". Click that box and scroll to the name of the zoo you want,click it,and it'll go in that zoo's forums. :) And since you'll be in L.A. I'd love pics of the okapis and harpy eagles(though I have heard that it's challenging to get pics of the eagles,so don't worry if you can't get a pic). :)

5. Oddernod

Thanks for assistance! And I accept the challenge on the harpy eagles: with the ROA exhibit now in place there are lots of interesting sightlines for those beauties. I'll see what I can do.

6. Oddernod

Hey there Shellheart, I posted a couple okapi and harpy eagle photos to the LA Zoo thread — it was an interesting day over at the eagle enclosure. They had recently introduced a new female to the lone male, and she was exerting her dominance pretty strongly. Her wings wide open she stared the male down from the distance. There was a researcher assigned to the area the entire day to take notes — but to also jump to action with a water hose in case she divebombed the poor guy, which she apparently had done several times the previous day.

7. Shellheart

Thank you! Great pictures of two of my favorite species. That's interesting that they just acquired a female. I wonder if there's any plans for breeding.

8. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The new Rainforest of the Americas exhibit just opened in April, maybe a few pics from there?

9. Oddernod

Thanks Wild Wolverine! I just came back from a trip last weekend and posted a few shots of the new female Harpy Eagle that's now there. I think I posted a couple of the otters a week or so too. I'll look and see what else I got on that last trip and I'll post them up.

10. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi mate,

While your animal pictures are very good and a pleasure to look at, pictures of enclosures also greatly appreciated, particularly of new exhibits:)

11. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cool! I'll check them out, thanks!

12. Oddernod

Thanks zooman, that's an entirely different subject matter than what I've thought of when I've walked into a zoo before — and something I'm really excited about exploring.

What kind of things are you looking for: wide angle views of as much of the enclosure in a single photo, macro closeups of specific elements (and what kind of elements?) or signage? I love taking pictures of signs and type wherever I go on my phone, this could be a great extension of that.

Thanks for the idea, please feel free to give me "assignments" for my next trip!

13. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi mate,

Well since you ask ;)

A picture of a zoo exhibit ideally contains one or all of the following.

The animal visible to get a scale/size of the exhibit.

The animal visible and allot of the enclosure showing, however none of the barriers shown, giving the impression it could be in the wild. (Awhile back there was some discussion of a picture of the bear exhibit at Bronx zoo that achieved this brilliantly, I will try to find it.)

[​IMG]

The exhibit barrier again ideally with an animal for scale in the picture. I am always intrigued by the variety of barriers used to restrain primates.

Mixed exhibits showing all the animals in the one picture ideally interacting.

Panoramic is great for all exhibits! However I usually find it hard to get a true indication of the size of the exhibit, not sure why.

Good luck!

Maybe for starters the new exhibits at your home zoo.

Many thanks in advance, I know I am not alone in wanting to see more exhibit pictures rather than another picture of a meerkat, zebra ect ect!