Join our zoo community

Photography Sales?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by athleticpete, 12 May 2008.

1. athleticpete

athleticpete Active Member

As there are some wonderful photographs posted on this site, I was wondering if any of you have ever tried selling these shots.
    There´s a busy market place on the internet, but do you need permission from the zoos before you can sell, or even post, shots of their animals?
    If so what´s the protocol, and is it worth it?
    I have sold a few wildlife photos in the past, but never ones taken from Zoos.
    Anyone any thoughts on this matter?

Pete

help save the rainforests
    Stop the destruction of the rainforests - Online Petition

2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's a rather grey area in the UK. Strictly speaking if you take a photograph, you own its copyright and therefore you can ask for payment if someone wants to use it. However some zoos have a clause in their entry terms regarding professional photographers; Blackpool makes quite stringent restrictions on the use of photographs taken in the zoo and I think Chester expects professionals to negotiate with them, presumably before they arrive at the zoo - I imagine that they would want to know what you intended to shoot and why - and then they would name their fee (which would probably appear rather steep to you or me).
    As an amateur photographer, I occasionally sell images to publishers (usually at a low rate). I also get occasional requests to use photos for educational publications from people who have seen them on Fishbase or another archive: the two shots they usually want are close-ups of an electric eel and a tuatara, both taken at Chester many years ago. I allow free use of these for educational purposes (I am a teacher, after all) and I am sure Chester would have no problem with that. I did complain to Schonbrunn (Vienna) when my electric eel photo appeared on their website without my permission and without my name either.

Alan