Join our zoo community

Pinniped species in captivity?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by sealion, 23 Feb 2011.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Sea World has 3.1 as well.

2. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Are all 4 ex-Sydney Aquarium?

3. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Well, you would think so, but Sea World had 2.0 in 2007, before the transfer from Sydney, but I don't know if these are part of the current 3.1 or not.

Marineland in Napier, New Zealand had 4.1 Californian Sea Lions in 2007, I don't know what happened to these animals after Marineland closed.

Incidentally, Marineland also had 1.0 Subantarctic Fur Seals in 2007/2008, and the Pet Porpoise Pool had 0.1.

4. Dibatag

Dibatag Well-Known Member

So I was at the Aquarium du Québec yesterday, and they have Atlantic and Pacific walruses, Harp, harbour and Grey seals in terms of Pinnipeds. It looks as though they have had hooded seals and ringed seals in the past as there were numerous pictures and information signs for these species.

5. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Do they have seperate exhibits for all five species or do they for instance keep the Pacific and Atlantic Walruses together. Did you notice how many of each walrus subspecies they had?

6. Dibatag

The harp seals and grey seals shared a pool. They had three of each (all rescues from the St Lawrence ara). There were four captive born harbour seals in another pool. The two subspecies of walrus shared a pool. The have one female Atlantic from northern quebec and a pair of Pacific's from Kamchatka or the Chukchi.

I will post pictures soon.

7. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Zoochat's chief marine mammal fan is most grateful to you for this information! :D

8. Dibatag

No problem! It was a nice morning out while in Quebec City. The aquarium does not seem to get much publicity, but I really think it should get more. It has a pair of Polar bears in a half decent enclosure, the only atlantic walrus in the world, some rare seals and a nice collection of native fish. Its not huge but it was well worth the visit.

9. yangz

yangz Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Pinniped species seen so far in US zoos and Aquarium are: California Sea Lion, Northern furseal, Walrus, common seal. I have yet to see something different.

10. Giant Eland

Giant Eland Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There are some other species in the US. I believe Mystic Aquarium in Connecticut has Steller's Sea Lions.

There are also Hawaiian Monk Seals at San Antonio Sea World, they are currently off exhibit, but if you show enough interest, they might be able to take you to see them. I assume there are some Hawaiian Monk Seals in captivity in Hawaii.

I was at San Diego Sea World in November of 2010 and found out some interesting information. I showed up only an hour before closing (since I had spent the rest of the day as my second day of Zoo-going) mainly hoping to get pictures of Commerson's Dolphins. I randomly asked the volunteer at Wild Arctic about what Pinniped species they had, and I was shocked to hear both Guadalupe Fur Seal and Ringed Seal on the list! So I waited a few minutes hoping the Ringed Seal might come out, but no such luck (I had seen them at Burger's Zoo in the Netherlands). So then I had to sprint over to the other side of the park to see the one rescued Guadalupe Fur Seal they had. It was dark out and mixed in with California Sea Lions, but I managed a few pictures with flash.

I also remember 1.0 Harp Seal being listed on ISIS for Detroit Zoo. However when I was in the area back in 2008 I tried to verify this over the phone and couldn't get a straight answer. It's still on ISIS, I'd love if someone knew if this was an error..

Oh and also Gray Seals are fairly common: listed at 12 North American locations..

Last edited: 18 Apr 2011
  11. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No, if you show enough interest, and explain that you've come all the way from the UK to see them, you will be informed that by paying extra $$$ you can see them as part of a behind-the-scenes tour.
    Which of course we did.
    But money is the Great God at SeaWorld. Don't expect free favours.

12. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

The Waikiki Aquarium has 2 male hawaiian monk seals ,and Sealife park in Hawaii has a few. They had 5 last time I was there ,but they probably have like 6 or or so now.

13. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

I'm pleased to know that someone is holding this species without assuming that they have some kind of diamonds in their hands. They are diamonds to me but that is because I have never seen them (SeaWorld San Antonio was closed when I was in the city and I've hardly been able to hear the name of the place since without feeling bad)

14. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

Mike, I was having this conversation with TM and GM at Whipsnade last week and I believe GM was with you at SeaWorld.

I wonder whose brainchild it was. They won't be getting families to pay extra to see the seals, for they are nowhere near as 'fun' as the California sealions (which may be next to be put off display and be charged extra for viewing, who knows). It is only us zoo and wildlife enthusiasts who may be excited at the sight of these animals for longer than a minute or so, the general public looses interest in them once they realise they won't be doing any 'tricks'...

15. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

Yup ,their just sitting there ,sunning them selfs :p Their also pretty big ,it supprised me the first time I saw them.

16. Tarsius

Tarsius Well-Known Member

There are some Bearded Seals in Europe, at Polaria inTromsö, Norway, and there are plans to import some Harp Seals from Russia.

17. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

I knew about their Bearded Seals but the thing with the Harp Seals is amazing to know! :)

18. Dicerorhinus

Dicerorhinus Well-Known Member

This is simply not true.

I am English and I took a gap year during my degree where I travelled out to the USA among other countries with my girlfriend.

We went to Sea World San Diego and I got chatting to a Penguin Keeper, (this is hard to write without sounding like an arse) but she was so impressed by my knowledge of penguins and auks she radioed her section manager to ask if she could take me into the exhibit.

I was told that if we came back the following day this would be possible. I was incredibly excited by the prospect and turned up at the front gate at the specified time. Where I was met by one of the collection managers who first took us into the penguin enclosure, then totally surprised us by inviting us on a behind the scenes tour of the "wild arctic" ****** and finally took us to see the then off-exhibit Commersons dolphins (which I had asked the penguin keeper about). Oh and we were not even charged an entry for the second day.

I have found the staff in American Zoos (outside of my employment) to be incredibly generous with their time and offers to show you around off-exhibit spaces if you show a little interest. Sea World San Diego are no exception to this.

[On the same trip I also visited the now closed Sea World Aurora in Ohio, I was not aware it was a seasonal attraction and when we turned up it was closed. I spoke to the gentleman on the gate who telephoned the public relations department and within five minutes we were being taken to see "Patagonia Passage" the mixed Commerson Dolphin and Megellanic Penguin exhibit, which was the main reason I had wanted to visit the park, and was not charged a penny]

******They do indeed have a ringed seal!

19. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Up until recently the Toronto Zoo had Cape African Fur Seals. The last one left the zoo sometime last year and is in one of the American zoos.

20. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes, I too have been taken into the penguin exhibit at SeaWorld SAN DIEGO. However, when it came to the Hawaiian Monk Seals at SeaWorld SAN ANTONIO, things were very different. Most zoo staff in USA collections are very obliging & helpful - the Texas branch of SeaWorld seems to be an exception.