Join our zoo community

Planckendael Planckendael News 2022

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by KevinB, 5 Jan 2022.

1. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. KevinB

JurassicMax likes this.
  3. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Recently 1 year old (male?) Goodfellow's Tree-kangaroo (Dendrolagus goodfellowi buergersi) Inawi arrived at the zoo, he is the neighbour of koala Tin-Tookie. According to ZTL he came from Paris (Jardin des Plantes).

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Planckendael (04/06/2022) https://www.instagram.com/p/CeYGa63Naxo/

Antoine and KevinB like this.
  4. KevinB

JurassicMax likes this.
  5. KevinB

I saw the griffon vulture chick today, the nest is located on top of the corrugated metal culvert shelter at the backside of the aviary.

I visited Planckendael today, here are some things I noticed:
    • There was quite a bit of maintenance work going on in preparation for the summer season. Areas involved were the small parking lot, the entrance doors of the European and African aviaries and the small playground next to the hyenas. The small parking lot and playground were closed off, the aviaries were accessible.
    • There was active construction work on the moat around the largest island next to the Asian greenhouse, on the lion side, and the nearby future access road, including concrete work with big equipment. Due to this work the Asian loop was cut into two parts near the aviary with the Demoiselle cranes.
    • In the elephant house the educational display on elephant nutrition and dung in the corner of the visitor area has been removed. Hopefully a new educational display will be installed in the future.
    • In the Australian terrarium house the blue-tongued skinks and Children's pythons have switched terrariums. Both terrariums have also been quite nicely refurbished.
    • I saw about five juvenile mallards in the European aviary, in addition to the adult pair I saw earlier. These young mallards seemed to be quite dominant towards the Eurasian wigeons. I have not seen the wading birds or shovelers in this aviary for some time now.
    • I saw some bonobos outdoors, but only a fraction of the group.
    • I saw four addaxes in total. One is kept in the paddock next to the bongos (former ostrich and oryx exhibit), the other I three I saw in the Grévy's zebra paddock. There were keepers observing, so presumably this is a recent thing. A little while later these three addaxes were off-show again and the Grévy's zebras were outdoors. I'm not sure whether they would like to move their addaxes in with the Grévy's zebras. Not something that I would consider completely impossible, but also would not give a high chance of succeeding.
    • The Mhorr gazelles were off-show. A few weeks ago I saw them out with the recently arrived Hartmann's mountain zebras, but the two species did not really seem to get along that well. So it seems the introduction process is still ongoing.
    • For the first time in months there has been some progress in the antelope area. The former wildebeest and oryx paddock between the bongos and the new antelope building has had a new, tall black fence installed.
    • I saw three mountain bongos: two smaller, younger individuals (possibly female) and a large, older one (possibly male). It seemed the two younger ones were being introduced - they were standing in a separation paddock with the door to the main exhibit opened and several staff members observing.
    • The former macaw aviary seemed to be unoccupied again. The giant wood rail and cattle egrets seem to be off-show again, the signage has been removed. The hooded vulture I saw in this aviary a few weeks ago also didn't seem to be present anymore.
    • The decal recently applied on the giant anteater indoor exhibit viewing window doesn't seem to be very durable or "jerk proof". Several parts of it have already loosened or been loosened.

6. SerriGaming

SerriGaming Member

The two younger ones arrived last Friday. I was there when they were brought in.

KevinB likes this.
  7. KevinB

The HLN article I mentioned in the Antwerp thread also mentioned some things about Planckendael. As the article is for subscribers only, I will only be translating and paraphrasing the most important parts.

Zoo en Planckendael bouwen weer aan toekomst na rake klappen pandemie: “Dierentuin is nooit af, maar ik zou ze toch eens graag helemaal gerenoveerd zien”

The most important news is that the orangutan project is planned to open next week, on July 1st.

Other developments at Planckendael that were mentioned area a "make-over" of all continents (without further elabaration or details) and the construction of a logistics and service center at the edge of the park, for which they will apply for a new permit, taking into account the ojections and remarks of local residents to the previous application.

JurassicMax likes this.
  8. KevinB

Max Blundell and JurassicMax like this.
  9. KevinB

Planckendael has announced the opening of the orangutan project. Other species mentioned in the clip where pairs of white-cheeked gibbons and Asian small-clawed otters. The clip mentioned three different indoor and outdoor spaces.

10. Perseus6

Perseus6 Well-Known Member

They have and are visible they were officially announced. They came from 2 different zoos and a third will arrive later.
    The bongo paddock will get the same fencing as their enclosure.

KevinB likes this.
  11. zoofanbelgium

zoofanbelgium Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any idea why they fence is so high? It is almost two meters.

12. KevinB

Next Tuesday the older female Sumatran orangutans Moni and Karo(lin) will be transferred from Wilhelmina Stuttgart to the new exhibit at Planckendael.

Login • Instagram

At Planckendael Moni and Karo will live with the young male Vilmos who will be transferred from Bratislava.

Bengal Tiger, Gil and StoppableSan like this.
  13. KevinB

Vilmos arrived from Bratislava last Friday. Last Saturday I saw a keeper from Bratislava doing care and training together with Planckendael's orangutan keepers.

Two small bits of bird news from Saturday's visit:
    • In the European aviary signage was added for Eurasian stone-curlew, I have not so far found any.
    • The giant wood-rail which showed up in the former macaw aviary (which now houses 2 hooded vultures) has moved in with the guira cuckoos in the next aviary.

JurassicMax and StoppableSan like this.
  14. KevinB

Today an article in Gazet van Antwerpen mentioned some interesting things with regards to the antelope area at Planckendael:
    • The three female Somalian wild donkeys that arrived earlier this year will not get male company, breeding is not intended for the time being.
    • In a few months time the park plans to welcome ostriches in this area again, as well as Dorcas gazelles.
    It is not clear to me what these additions will mean with regards to the arrangement of the exhibits and to further renovation of the old antelope house.

But I must say I am fairly happy with the addition of Somali wild donkeys and the future addition of a new gazelle species.

ZOO Planckendael pakt uit met uiterst zeldzame Somalische wilde ezels: “Uniek in België”

15. KevinB

16. KevinB

17. Moorhunhe

Moorhunhe Well-Known Member

Was she not pregnant a couple of years ago too? I think I remember something from 2018 or 2019. As I moved away end of 2018 I hadn't kept up to date with it, as I wouldn't be able to visit this place anymore.

I miss this place so much :( I would just go sometimes for not even an hour, just to get out of the house, see the lion cubs (at the time), do a quick walk around to some of my faves and then leave again. Perks of a pass obviously.

18. KevinB

I did a little bit of research at the Laafsekikkers forum, in 2018-2019 they had different hyenas which were not allowed to breed, their current female arrived last year. She had a previous stillbirth before the current litter.

I understand your comment about the perks of the pass, I regularly go to Planckendael for a couple of hours myself.

19. Moorhunhe

Moorhunhe Well-Known Member

It might have been her then, as I do remember the pups didn't make it, somehow I had it in my mind this was around the time I visited for the last time (September 2018), so must have gotten my years mixed up and just read about it somewhere.

Thanks for having a look!

20. Perseus6

Perseus6 Well-Known Member

I went to Planckendael the 7th of September and I have a couple of updates, sorry they are late.
    Asia:
    - Asian elephants: Kanvar is still crate training but the EEP has not assigned a new destination for him yet. In the mean time he will be allowed to attempt to produce offspring with May Tagu or Kai Mook. Whenever Suki and Tun Kai Are in cycle Kanvar will be moved to his bull paddock.
    -Sumatran Orangutans and rest of the enclosure: One of the 3 in the non breeding group finally went outside for the first time( I don't know if it was Vilmos, Karo or Moni), but returned after touching the water not even making it over the bridge. They will probably adapt the bridges by having a bridge or branch at height as well.
    The Reeves's muntjacs had trouble adapting to the island being stressed but are doing much better.
    The small claw otters are doing well however have not yet swam far.
    The gibbons are enjoying the new enclosure and regularly sing.
    The red pandas will definitely not join the complex anymore due to the female Pia having difficulties climbing.
    The Celebes crested macaque are housed behind the scenes in a spacious enclosure but will join the complex once their inside enclosure is built.
    Africa:
    -Spotted hyenas: After giving birth the Luena did not feed so the keepers gave her small pieces extra. Now Luena is feeding well but her partner Bongo is to stressed to feed. So Bongo is allowed outside first for an hour or so before Luena joins. Bongo also gets small pieces supplemented. The pups are doing well.
    -Kordofan Giraffe, mountain zebra and Mhorr gazelle:
    The 4 Mhorr gazelles males were anesthetized and given thorough health checks. One male will leave for Frankfurt, and new ones will probably arrive.
    The Mountain Zebra Luena has left for a zoo In France and will be allowed to breed. The remaining mother and daughter got a health check and have trouble with their hind legs and will remain in Plankendael, with no plan to ever breed.
    The giraffes will probably not breed for the next couple of years.
    Grévy's zebra: The Grévy's zebra are still being introduced to the Addax.
    Ostriches will arrive soon somewhere.
    Australia:
    -Tasmanian devil: The last Tasmanian devil died so the enclosure was set off with some fences. Tasmanian devils will return but this will probably take some time because new import is necessary. Hopefully the couple in Prague produce offspring.
    -Koala's: If a suitable couple of Koalas is retrieved for the KMDA breeding will happen in Planckendael. Tin Tookie has just been moved to Planckendael because of his hip dysplasia and the keepers in Planckendael have more experience with this then those in Antwerp as well as the enclosure has more vertical options.
    The keepers were hoping to get a new Wombat but are enjoying the new echidna space.
    North America:
    -Claw monkey island: The Golden-headed lion tamarin's were doing well as parents and the two siblings got left alone while the parents went to say hello to the White-faced saki's. The saki's are still not allowed full access to the outside. They can not get to the high trees but can get outside the building already. The saki's are also doing better and are less shy then in July
    -Patagonian mara: They were working in the Mara enclosure, I took some pictures see below. No clue why tho.
    Behind the scenes:
    -Black panther (Jaguar): Zora Is still alive and kicking.
    -Spectacled Bears: The two Spectacled bears Tinka and Zamora are still doing well and awaiting return to Antwerp.

Attached Files: