Join our zoo community

Planet Zoo Youtuber looking for help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jonti Sparrow, 22 Aug 2019.

1. Jonti Sparrow

Jonti Sparrow New Member

Hi there!

My name is Jonti Sparrow and I'm a full time YTer who is planning on covering Planet Zoo (a new Zoo Tycoon style game coming out in a few months)

One thing I'm planning on doing is a series where we take each animal and look at real world zoo examples and guidlines top make 'realistic' exhibits in the game. A while ago, I found a great PDF on Flamingos in zoos, it gave examples of exhibit size, substrate, foilage etc and was PERFECT for what I need. Now I can't find it (or any other animal).

Is there some sort of 'zoo wikipedia' or database of this kind of stuff that a lowly video game nerd like me can look at?

Thanks!
    Jonti

2. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hi Jonti, and welcome!

There are care manuals for a few species confirmed in Planet Zoo on both the AZA and EAZA websites:
    AZA has care manuals for lion, tiger, large canids (wolf), chimpanzee and orangutan.
    Animal Care Manuals | Association of Zoos & Aquariums

EAZA has best practice guidelines for cheetah, orangutan and greater one-horned (Indian) rhinoceros.
    PROGRAMMES » EAZA

I hope these are of some use.

3. Jonti Sparrow

Jonti Sparrow New Member

Thank you! That's a great start... and just knowing they are called 'care manuals' means I'm not googling in the dark. Thanks!

4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

There is plenty of research papers and books out there for you to look at, plus sure people here will help you with exhibit references.

I myself have bought the game and looking forward to playing it. I also do watch some of your videos (Two point hospital and Rescue HQ) and certainly looking forward to you playing this game.

I would love to see you replicate Berlin Zoo hippo enclosure, it is amazing (well indoors, outdoors is ok).

5. Bisonblake

Bisonblake Well-Known Member

Welcome to Zoochat! I have seen your post on YT about that zoo school that you’ll start when the game is released. Here are a couple of sources that you can use:

The Zoological Association of America has an article on their standards for animal care and exhibits. These are just the basics, which is why they seem considerably small. http://www.zaa.org/images/pages/misc/ZAA_Accreditation_Standards.pdf

My other one is the AZA care manuals previously mentioned. They are more advanced and detailed than the ZAA Standards.
    Animal Care Manuals | Association of Zoos & Aquariums

I hope these help and the series works out well for you and your channel!

6. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I knew it would only be a matter of time till I found you here Jonti, hello!

If you want realistic designs and plans for enclosures I would suggest looking up the design plans. You can find the ones for Chester zoo fairly easily by looking up planning permission stuff on the council website.

We’ve interacted on Twitter a few times and I’m a big fan! You’ll be great for sure!

7. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Another site I've just thought of, if you're looking for examples of good zoo enclosures, is the ZooLex gallery. All the featured exhibits in the gallery include the size, layout, plant list, descriptions and overview maps of the enclosure. I hope these are of use.

ZooLex Gallery

8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome! The ZooChat gallery itself might be a help, it contains photos of exhibits in zoos around the world.

9. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

Welcome! I'm a big fan of your videos! As mentioned before the AZA website is a great way to find requirements. I didn't see it there, but the AZA has guidelines for elephant holders. Not sure where to find them.

10. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Check the "EAZA Husbandry Guidelines" - they are freely available on the EAZA website.