Join our zoo community

Berlin Zoo plans to replace Bao-Bao?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Cat-Man, 19 Sep 2011.

1. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was thinking, Bao Bao, berlins only Giant panda, is getting on now, I was just wondering, does Zoo Berlin have any plans to replace him once he dies?, thankyou all:)

2. Cat-Man

i think i'll give a bit of background infomation:)

Bao Bao (male) was born approximately in September 1978.

He has studbook number 208.
    His name means “Schätzchen” in Chinese.

He was found wounded in Baoxing in the Chinese Sichuan Province in April 1979. He lived at the Chengdu Zoo from April 23, 1979. He moved to the Beijing Zoo in September 1980.

He came to Zoo Berlin on November 5, 1980 with Tjen Tjen.

After Tjen Tjen’s death on February 8, 1984, Bao Bao stayed alone until November 14, 1991. Zoo Berlin agreed that Bao Bao would go on a breeding loan to London Zoo. In London, the female Ming Ming was waiting for him. Officials at the London Zoo had hoped they would breed, but instead the couple fought savagely. Bao Bao returned to Berlin on May 26, 1993.

On April 14, 1995 a new female, Yan Yan, came to Berlin. Both pandas lived separately in connecting exhibits.

After Yan Yan’s death on March 26, 2007, Bao Bao is again the only giant panda at Zoo Berlin.

Bao Bao is the oldest male panda in captivity and the oldest panda outside of China.

hopefully people will be able to answer my question, surely Berlin will have the cash in the budget to pay out for the Million a year Panda Loans?

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think a million a year is quite a lot for a zoo with a collection the size of Berlin and I think they may need to spend some time trying to raise the funds. The amount of animals the zoo keeps surely costs a lot of money to maintain. This is pure speculation though because 3 years ago I wouldn't have dreamed that Edinburgh would get pandas and that seems a definite now! :)
    Sorry I can't be more certain but I thought I'd throw my tuppence worth in anyway! ;)

4. Cat-Man

Ahh, do not worry, I'm always interested in your opinion;), I do agree, that with a collection the size of berlin (not to mention the tierpark) it must cost huge amounts of money too maintain, and there are probably other areas Zoo berlin could improve in,and they would definatly need a new panda enclosure because from what I can see its basically a glass box. And there would probably need new funding aswell, with that huge foodbill, could it be possible berlin will go into free fall like london did in the early 90's. I wonder if the berlin zoo does have anyplans to replace bao-bao tho, thanks all:--)

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

It's a glass-walled paddock, not huge by any means but bigger than I remember London's exhibit being. When they had a pair and were using two exhibits the second was very small.

For one panda, it's OK - it isn't that much smaller than half of Edinburgh's will be, I'd say.

6. Cat-Man

ahh thanks maguari:) shame bao bao has never succesfully bred tho:/

7. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

China has now confirmed theZoo will get a new pair of Giant pandas, but no details were reveiled yet, but for sure, the zoo has to pay a lot of euros each year for them...

8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

10. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Yes ,at the place of the flamingo exhibit and deer exhibits opposite of the Antelope house. Currently they keep Milu, Barasingha and Forest Reindeer in this exhibts.

The historical deer house, currently the zoo keeps chinese water deer in it, will be saved, and as you see on the conceptional drawing, it will introduced into the Panda Exhibt on the right side, so the Chinese Water Deer will be part of it, but of course not mixed with the Panda....

I don't know what will be happen to Milu,Barasingha and Forest Reindeer, maybe they will go to the Tierpark. Construction starts at the end of the year, so the Pandas will move in in Summer 2017.

By the way-the exhibits looks very good.

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Considering the fact that many of the changes brought in by the new director have been under the guise of making the collections more profitable, it continues to baffle me that he has tied Zoo Berlin to the financial drain of more monochromatic money-sinks :p