Join our zoo community

Polar Bears In Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 13 Oct 2013.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

There's an interesting chat in the US forum about their polar bears and how theres not enough of them for their new exhibits. I know we cant export ours to them but the discussion got me thinking about our bears.

I know of 5 facilities with polar bears; Toronto, Assiniboine, Cochrane, Saint Felicien and Aquarium Du Quebec. How many others are there? Are there any others?

Also how many bears do we have. I can account for 9. Any others?

Toronto Zoo
    Nikita (F)
    Aurora (F)

Winnipeg
    Hudson (M)
    No Name (M) the attempted man eater

Cochrane Polar Bear Habitat
    Inukshuk (M)
    Ganuk (M)

Aquarium De Quebec
    Taiga (F)

St. Felicein
    Yelle (M)
    Aisaqvak (F)

Our population seems small and rather unfeasible genetically. Inukshuk is the father of Ganuk, Taiga and Hudson. Nikita and Aurora are sisters so their cubs will all be related. Aisaqvak is the mother of Ganuk and Taiga so any cubs she produces with Yelle cant breed with them. Seems like in one generation we are out of unrelated bears unless no name gets transfered and starts breeding and another couple of bears get into trouble and land in a zoo.

FBBird likes this.
  2. The_Wild_Ocelot

The_Wild_Ocelot Member

There is also Eddy (M) at the Aquarium de Québec.

3. TZFan

I figured there was another bear there. I just couldnt find a name. Thanks. Do you know if he's related to any of the other bears in Canada or is he a wild born orphan?

4. The_Wild_Ocelot

The_Wild_Ocelot Member

I've never heard that he was related to any of these bears. He was supposed to bred with Tiguak, another polar bear which was not related to others but she died in 2011.

5. TZFan

Thanks again Wild Ocelot. Since your in Quebec what zoos and aquariums do you usually visit? There appears to be some nice places there and I would love to learn more about them if you were willing to share.

6. The_Wild_Ocelot

The_Wild_Ocelot Member

There aren't so much zoos in Quebec so, usually, once a year I visit Saint-Félicien, Granby and the Aquarium de Québec. If you have questions about the zoos here, you just have to ask !

7. Duerener1

Duerener1 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. TZFan

Thanks Duerener1. The page is a little out of date. Nanook is dead as is Tiguak. Inukshuk was recently transferred back to Cochrane. Hopefully this fall we can add to that list several cubs.

9. Duerener1

10. TZFan

My apologies. I didnt notice the first time but now that you mention it, there are crosses. I wasnt able to open the bears individual pages the first time for some bizzare reason but its nice how it has the family trees too. Poor Inukshuks boys, Ganuk and Hudson. They wont be breeders unless some females are born to Yelle and Aisaqvak or orphaned females arrive. Hudson could breed with Aisaqvak and Ganuk could come breed with Nikita and Aurora but whats the point in those pairings when they know Inukshuk is a breeder. New females are desperately needed. Hopefully there will be some female births or orphanings this year.

11. Duerener1

In Japan, there are too many girls and not enough boys. In Europe, there are too many guys too. In America, the bears are old and there are no young bears.

There must be an exchange in the continents. A start was made with Yelle and Frimas between the Netherlands and Canada.

12. TZFan

It will be next to impossible with the US. I'm sure it will be easier between Canada and the world so long as the bears are from a Canadian line. I wouldnt be surprised to see some of Inukshuk's cubs go overseas.

If your interested theres a discussion going on about this issue in the US forum right now. I dont recall seeing you posting there. You seem very knowledgable about the polar bears Im sure they would all love to hear from you.

http://www.zoochat.com/22/we-going-end-up-bunch-polar-340018/

Just in case your interested.

13. TZFan

14. TZFan

Another orphaned cub will likely be available for adoption by a zoo in the coming days after a tragic case of mistaken identity resulted in its mother being shot following a mauling of 2 in Churchill. Poor little thing. But this means a 3rd new potential breeder in our polar bear population. Much needed young wild blood. Male or female it could likely be held in Assinibione with the female cub if they are both 11 or so months old following quarantine. If its a nearly grown 2 year old Hudson might make a good roomate.

Two Churchill residents attacked by polar bear | Manitoba | News | Winnipeg Sun

15. TZFan

Assiniboine's new male is Storm. The female will be named shortly.

16. TZFan

17. TZFan

18. TZFan

Assiniboine has welcomed a second orphaned female cub. Her mom was the one killed a few weeks ago in a case of mistaken identity following an attack. She will be a much welcomed addition to the population as shes a much needed unrelated female in a population where of the 4 breeding age females are all related to Inkushuk through cubs.

Polar bear orphaned after mom was shot to go to Winnipeg zoo - Manitoba - CBC News

Here's how the population of breaks down.

Toronto Zoo (1.2)
    Nikita (F) theres a chance she could be pregnant by Inkushuk
    Aurora (F)
    Unnamed cub (M) Aurora x Inkushuk

Winnipeg (2.2)
    Hudson (M) Aurora x Inkushuk
    Storm (M)
    Aurora (F)
    Unnamed (F)

Cochrane Polar Bear Habitat
    Inukshuk (M)
    Ganuk (M) Aisaqvak x Inkushuk

Aquarium De Quebec
    Taiga (F) Aisaqvak x Inkushuk
    Eddy (M)

St. Felicein
    Yelle (M)
    Aisaqvak (F)

Paired with males Aisaqvak and Taiga could be pregnant as well.

19. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well I am glad Winnipeg is getting so many bears for their new, wonderful exhibit. I am extremely jealous and wish the US could have that opportunity. Maybe there will be a orphan again in Alaska. It's just unfortunate because most relocate to the Alaska Zoo first so I doubt they could take in more than one cub at a time.

20. TZFan

Its nice to have new blood but we must be close to reaching capacity. We only have the five facilities holding them. A sixth will come when Calgary gets to that stage but its one of the last things in their 20 year plan. I think in the coming years if more cubs come we will have to look at sending them overseas to Japan or Europe and Im not sure how that will go.