Join our zoo community

Assiniboine Park Zoo Polar Bears Returning Soon to Winnipeg

Discussion in 'Canada' started by williambluesky, 1 Jan 2010.

1. arcticwolf

arcticwolf Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for sharing this! I agree with you that Journey to Churchill might be one of the best polar bear exhibits anywhere and possibly even the best exhibit complex in Canada. Just by seeing the snowy owl exhibit in the video which was a tall aviary makes this exhibit seem better than the Toronto Zoo's Tundra Trek. I also love the species selection.

If anyone didn't watch the video here is the species list:
    - snowy owls
    - caribou
    - arctic foxes
    - musk oxen
    - polar bears
    - seals (species?)

2. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

- This looks amazing and below I have found 2 links regarding the exhibit.

1. On this link you will find a map of the whole complex
    Journey to Churchill on Schedule for Summer Opening | ChrisD.ca

2. Here is a link that shows the 3 off exhibit bear habitats for wild bears needing rehabilitation. It seems to be a redo of the old bear grottos.
    http://coryaronecphotography.wordpress.com/2011/11/10/stuart-olson-dominion-construction-ltd-–-assiniboine-park-zoo’s-“journey-to-churchill”-polar-bear-exhibit/

3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I visited the construction site a few months ago. If you saw exhibit construction on that scale in any zoo in the lower 48 states, you'd assume it was some weird African savanna project simply because it is so big! 10 acres

5. KrissyR

KrissyR Well-Known Member

6. TZFan

I figured they would get the other cub but its fantastic news its another female. It means Hudson will likely get a chance to breed with her or Aurora, while Storm gets the other one for a mate.

7. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Although it always happens in small amounts, has their been any major backlash of the zoo accumulating wild polar bears? I can just see a anti zoo person thinking they are just being taken out of the wild at whim and prefer they die than be stuck in a "prison" their whole lives.

8. KrissyR

There have been a few comments on the zoo's Facebook page but no major backlash. So far it seems that people see the logic of not wasting the lives of these bears by euthanizing them.

9. TZFan

I think because its not Toronto or Calgary (Canada's big two) or an America zoo it might be sliding under the radar of the anti zoos a little. Plus really what argument do they have. Both the girls were too young to survive on their own this winter. They would have died. And Storm had attacked a person. The previous rule was that if they attack they are killed. Life in a zoo has to be preferable to a bullet in the head. I know that doesnt matter to most anti zoos but they wont get much support from the general public by trying to ensure 3 young bears (2 young cubs) are killed. Theres other issues they can complain about Canada's 3 solitary elephants, Toronto zoo just because its Wednesday, African Lion Safair because they have elephants, and the biggest and most legitimate battle of all the animal nightmare that is MARINELAND!!!

10. TZFan

11. TZFan

12. TZFan

13. KrissyR

14. TZFan

Its interesting Hudson is the bigger bear considering he's a year younger than Storm and his father Inkushuk is considered fairly small for a male. But then again I dont know how reliable the commentator was considering she thinks Hudson is 3 when he was born in 2011 making him 2. I am glad though that hes finally getting someone to play with. Hes had such a lonely cubhood being the sole survivor of his litter and hand reared.

Hopefully they will introduce Aurora and Kaska once quarantine is over with so they wont be lonely too long.

15. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's wonderful to see how natural Hudson got along with storm. Never having direct contact with another polar bear, who knows how he could react? Good thing his natural instincts kicked in!

16. KrissyR

She said that Storm is 3, and Hudson is 2. She is their primary keeper, and her information is reliable. She is also a very nice person :)

17. TZFan

I must have misheard her then. I apologize. I figured they had maybe made a mistake on her script.

18. TZFan

19. TZFan

20. TZFan