Join our zoo community

Orsa Björnpark Polar World - The world largest polar bear complex

Discussion in 'Sweden' started by Jodea, 18 May 2009.

1. Jodea

Jodea Active Member

Polar World - The world's largest polar bear complex

After a few years absence the polar bears have returned to Sweden! Now in Orsa Bear Park.

Polar World in Orsa Bearpark (Orsa Björnpark) was inaugurated today. The big polar bear complex is stated to be the largest in the world with a total enclosure area of 41.000 sq.meters (≈10 acres). It consists of two main enclosures and includes two large pools and an artificial glacier. There is also an exhibition hall, information stations, an amphitheater and a children play area. The construction began in May 2008 and the polar bears arrived a few weeks ago.

The two young bears that have moved in is a male from Stuttgart called Wilbär and a female called Ewa from Rotterdam.

For many nice pictures and a great movie see their website: Pictures Polar World

Information in English: Polar World information

I can also recommend checking this news footage.

I must say that after have watched the videos and pictures it looks awesome! Ewa and Wilbär must love their new home. I really looking forward to go there myself and check it out.

Last edited: 18 May 2009
  2. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Wonderful pictures and wonderful news footage! Looks like Scandianavian Dyrepark in Denmark has gotten itself a competitor for the title The Best Polar Bear Exhibit In The World - FOR THE POLAR BEARS!

:):):)

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for links Jodea, the set of enclosures look amazing, it certainly puts a lot of other polar bear enclosures in the shade, how these animals should be kept.

4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It looks like a paradise for polar bears, but most of the photos were of the bears themselves and not the actual exhibit. The Scandinavian Wildlife Park and the Detroit Zoo now have some company when it comes to world class polar bear enclosures.

5. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Aaaaaaaah.... but look at the video, snowleopard! Short glimpses of the actual enclosures! Short but wonderful to watch....

6. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

That looks... wow :eek: Looks a world better than even the Arctic ring of life. *Plans trip to Sweden*

7. markun

markun Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic, are there any plans available?

The best overviews seem to be on the SVT news clip, there's a good shot showing the enclosure and it looks amazing, and very natural, I hope that's what the Highland Wildlife Park will get, nothing flashy but a wonderful enclosure

8. snowleopard

I watched the video and I am impressed with the size of the enclosure. Extremely basic design with a fence around a natural woodland area, but more than adequate for the bears.

9. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wow! The best zoo exhibit in Europe?

10. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No--with only two animals in such a large space, no effort to create dramatic viewing opportunities (eye-to-eye, underwater etc.), and no effort to hide the boundaries of the enclosure, this qualifies as a great home for the bears, and only a moderately good exhibit for the public.

11. snowleopard

@reduakari: I agree wholeheartedly. I wrote earlier that I was impressed with the size of the enclosure but that it was an extremely basic design, much like most of Europe's top zoo habitats. The bears will think that it is paradise, but for visitors it is simply a large fenced area of land.

12. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Look at some of the recent images from the Rotterdam zoo, in many ways Europe's equivalent of Woodland Park. A relatively small, old urban zoo that is now packed with fantastic-to-very good exhibits. One of the best collections in the world.

13. Upali

Upali Well-Known Member

There are a few amazing Polar bear enclosures coming appearing now!! This exhibit is the sort of place they should always be kept in, large and naturalistic with the bears welfare taken first.

Also not to start an arguement, but the animals welfare should be infinity more important than what the public want while they're in captivity. Im sure the enclosures fencing could be upgraded anytime though such as adding viewing windows, raised areas or underwater windows.

14. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think there was viewing glass somewhere there?

I see your point. But this background of the rolling hills covered with northern forest is worth a million!

15. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

I think the size and the setting might help them overcome the lack of "exhibitry", what with all the trees and that.

16. Jodea

Jodea Active Member

New wintertime video

Hello!
    Orsa Bearpark has now posted a new video from Polar World on Youtube. It shows the two bears in their right element, in the snow! As the previous ones, this video mostly showing close-ups of bears playing in the snow and with each other, rather than giving a fair view of the enclosure. But it's wonderful footage and I enjoyed the sight of the polar bears during wintertime!

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  17. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Breathtakingly brilliant pictures! My favourite moment comes early in the film - watching one of the bears making a hole in the ice of the frozen pond.

Both these bears came from "concrete pit zoos" if memory serves me right?

Now they are in "zoo heaven"....

18. ZappyAd

ZappyAd Member

Is that large bank that the bears are exploring a hole in at the beginning of the film snow? The bear walks up then slides down it and hardly leaves a mark on it.

Great film.

19. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Sweden is on my list of countries I'd love to visit. And Orsa is on my must-do list.