Join our zoo community

Possible future zoo simulator: Planet Safari?

Discussion in 'Zoo Games & Simulators' started by TheMightyOrca, 15 Nov 2016.

1. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So I was reading a post about the upcoming video game Planet Coaster, by Frontier Developments. It seeks to be a spiritual successor to the Roller Coaster Tycoon games, (it's actually made by the same people who worked on the old RCT games) the customization looks extensive and people have high hopes for it. In the comments, the topic of Zoo Tycoon is brought up, and someone mentions that Frontier Developments has trademarked Planet Safari. So I looked it up...

Planet Safari- next up.
    Planet Safari Expansion? :: Planet Coaster General PC Discussion

A lot of people believe that Planet Safari is going to be a Zoo Tycoon style game. I really hope that's true. Frontier has stated that they plan to announce their next franchise after Planet Coaster is released (two days from now) so it is a good possibility. Frontier self-publishes their games now, so they aren't limited by other companies. It's no guarantee, I just figured I'd bring this up in case any of you want to keep an eye out for news. I certainly have my fingers crossed!

2. premierfong

premierfong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Plant coaster seem to be a failing game, that is the issue.

3. TheMightyOrca

From what I've heard, it's doing very well. You sure you're not thinking of Roller Coaster Tycoon World?

4. overread

overread Well-Known Member

I've not looked into it much but Planet Coaster is doing VERY well for itself - over 8thousand reviews on steam with a positive score. The bad review that is s ticking out at the top of the list is mentioning that its more a sandbox than a sim. That is to say that its sim AI isn't appearing to be that well developed so that might be a negative; but it seems to do very well as a casual "build a theme park" game

5. premierfong

Actually, it is true. Planet Coaster is GREAT looking. As such, I think the new zoo tycoon will be great. Planet Coaster was known for user modifcation, as such, we can create animals too. Amen !!

6. TheMightyOrca

Yeah, the game had a lot of hype before release and managed to live up to it. And yeah, the only criticism I've really seen is that it doesn't have much in the way of challenges and is better as a sandbox. If Planet Safari is a full on zoo game, I'd be pretty pumped!

7. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It would be great to see a new zoo game. While I've been aware of a number of different dinosaur-themed indie games, this is the first I've heard of a new zoo game in some time and I would be excited to see where it goes. All that said, if they focus more on a safari than a zoo setting, I'll be disappointed. Here's hoping it's just a snappy title.

8. premierfong

I have been watching Plant Coaster for a few days. Everything there is very detailed, I hope Plant Safari will be like this. I want to build indoor enclosures with detail animal holding area.

9. Evo

Evo Active Member

I hope they will make it where you can build a zoo or a safari - or both like Whipsnade Zoo in England (it is mostly a zoo but has a bit where you drive round an enclosure for camels, blackbuck and other Asian animals.) One thing I really hope for is for it to be easy to mod new animals into the game like you could with ZT2 - because we need those subspecies!

10. premierfong

No news yet :(