Join our zoo community

Pouakai Zoo Pouakai Zoo Review 2012

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 19 Aug 2012.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I visited Pouakai Zoo around midday on a mild mid-winter Sunday. This was my third visit, having previously been in 2007 and 2010. This small, private zoo is located out of the city of New Plymouth, in farmland up in the Pouakai Ranges, an old volcanic chain near Mt. Taranaki. As such, the zoo probably receives the highest rainfall of any NZ zoo. The zoo is entered via a converted house, which doubles as a souvenir shop, and also sells plastic cups of animal pellets. Entry costs $15 for adults. Within the entry building was a small exhibition space, featuring Chinchilla, Eastern Water Dragon, Blue-tongue Skink & Bearded Dragon.

From here, a door opens out to a veranda, from which almost all of the zoo can be seen (http://www.zoochat.com/991/overview-pouakai-zoo-284892/). From the bottom of the stairs, three paths lead to the different parts of the zoo: one straight across from the entry, which includes the majority of exhibits, one opposite that leads behind the entry, and one that runs down the hill to a bush walk. At this junction was a small modern aviary holding a flock of Canaries. Nearby was a new building, which I suspect is used as the education centre.

Heading down the main path, the first exhibits on the left are a series of aviaries arranged on a gently sloping lawn, with small, neat gardens and picnic tables scattered around them. These are all quite old and of a similar construction, a concrete block base with rectangular mesh run, with a shelter at the back. The first of these stood alone, and housed a pair of Sulphur-crested Cockatoos, who both came over to say hello. Nearby were a few pet hutches with Rabbits and Guinea Pigs. The next aviaries were in a larger block, which had originally been five aviaries, but these had been merged into three. The first held native Red-crowned Parakeets and Australian Brown Quail, while the second held Budgies and Helmeted Guineafowl. The last aviary had Rainbow Lorikeets, Cockatiels and Red-rumped Parrots. These aviaries were all quite run-down looking, furnished only with a few branches and rocks, and little live vegetation.

Behind this aviary block was a large pen, again for Rabbits and Guinea Pigs. Back on the main path, a new, octagonal, wood and mesh cage held a Brush-tailed Possum. Behind this was another aviary, similar to those nearby, but smaller, which held a Galah, and some vegetation (http://www.zoochat.com/991/galah-aviary-pouakai-zoo-284946/). Behind this was an aviary containing Golden Pheasant mutations (http://www.zoochat.com/991/pheasant-aviary-pouakai-zoo-284894/). Here the lawn ended, and exhibits lined the main path. There were a large number of free-range birds on the lawn, including Peafowl, Ducks, Geese, Guineafowl, Chickens and Pigeons, which we fed.

We continued up the path, and the exhibits on our left held a range of primates. The first were a trio of Bonnet Macaques, in a reasonably large, functional cage, which has plenty of enrichment: ropes, platform and bark to dig through (http://www.zoochat.com/991/bonnet-macaque-enclosure-pouakai-zoo-284907/). Next to these were two exhibits for Black-capped Capuchins. These enclosures were more natural, with a dirt floor and some vegetation, mostly flax. The capuchins were active and had a number of ropes and wooden platforms to use (http://www.zoochat.com/991/capuchin-exhibit-pouakai-zoo-284909/). While the macaque and capuchin cages were quite low, the last two enclosures in this block were considerably taller and of a good size, with healthy grass on the ground, as well as other vegetation. The first held a group of Black-handed Spider Monkeys, which stayed at the back, largely out of view. The second held a pair of Lar Gibbon, the only ones in NZ (http://www.zoochat.com/991/lar-gibbon-cage-pouakai-zoo-284924/). These enclosures were of identical construction, and both could have been improved by the addition of more ropes and other enriching items, although the meshed roof would allow both species to climb.

After the primate enclosures was a large paddock holding a motley herd of hungry Goats, followed by another paddock, again nicely vegetated, for a pair of Emu (http://www.zoochat.com/991/emu-enclosure-pouakai-zoo-284926/). A pair of Alpaca was grazing nearby. This marked the end of the path, so we turned around. On the other side of the path was the largest exhibit in the zoo, a fenced rectangle probably approaching 20m by 40m. This could be viewed from three sides, and held a group of Lions, a male and two females bred at Paradise Valley (http://www.zoochat.com/991/lion-enclosure-pouakai-zoo-284925/). While not the most exciting enclosure, it did feature a wooden platform near the centre, on which the lions stood and roared at their shelter, which I presume was being cleaned out. There were also a few rocks scattered through the long grass, and a couple of logs. In one corner, a wooden bridge ran above the main path from the goat paddock to the edge of the lion enclosure, from which a keeper could throw meat to the lions.

Past the lion enclosure was a similar enclosure for three female White Tigers, from Zion. This, too, was viewable on three sides, but was significantly smaller than the lion enclosure (http://www.zoochat.com/991/white-tiger-enclosure-pouakai-zoo-284908/). It is furnished with shorter grass, a tree, some logs, a tractor tyre, a shallow pool, and an elevated platform with shelter. Overall, I think this enclosure is not ideal for tigers, and would have preferred to see more vegetation and shade, to give them more privacy. A new path has been constructed behind the enclosure, which allows viewing on a third side, and cuts through the old zebra paddock to run back to the main entrance (http://www.zoochat.com/991/paddocks-pouakai-zoo-284948/). Following this path took us past a Sheep paddock on the left, and the Ostrich paddock on the right (http://www.zoochat.com/991/ostrich-paddock-pouakai-zoo-284893/). The sheep and female ostrich were both very keen to be fed.

The next path runs from the main entry down a slope to a patch of bush in a small gully (http://www.zoochat.com/991/enclosures-pouakai-zoo-284947/). On the left is the sheep paddock mentioned above, while a series of enclosures line the right-hand side. At the top is a small, low-walled enclosure for Red-eared Slider, and then a low-walled enclosure for two female Meerkat. One of these was a recent import from South Africa (see here: http://www.zoochat.com/17/new-meerkats-215992/). The centre of this enclosure is dominated by an unusual structure (maybe the top of a silo?), which the meerkats can climb to get good views. Quite a suitable enclosure, although there was little sand for digging in, just dirt. The next three enclosures were of a similar construction, meshed cages for primates. The first held two Capuchins (I think hand-raised individuals), which was roomy and had a fair amount of enrichment, although little vegetation. The next two were better vegetated, the first housed an individual Vervet Monkey (did not see the monkey, but did see a guinea pig) and the second a female Pig-tailed Macaque (http://www.zoochat.com/991/pig-tail-macaque-cage-pouakai-zoo-284927/). The end of this row had been a large and very well-vegetated enclosure for a ring-tailed lemur, but had been largely deconstructed, with new framing erected. Perhaps this will become home to more lemurs, which the zoo has said they want to import.

From here, the bushwalk, which is largely a loop, but partially blocked off, runs through some native forest surrounding a slow moving stream which runs through a couple of pools. On the far side are two paddocks, but neither of these appeared inhabited. Some parts of the bush walk are quite tranquil, but overall the paths and railings are in very poor condition, and in need of replacement. From here, we walked back to the entry building, to head down the last path, which was also the shortest, and ran behind the entry.

In the centre of the path was a tree, with a crate at the base of its trunk, which held halved apples, with a sign above that said “please feel free to feed the donkeys and pig”. So we did, and that was fun. The two Donkeys and large Kune Kune Pig shared a large paddock, and came over when we approached. On the other side of the path, an aviary that had previously held pheasants had been demolished, and the larger cage next door, which had previously held Bobcats had also been renovated, and now held Golden and Ring-neck Pheasants, and Tammar Wallabies. It seems likely that the bobcats have died.

Overall, the zoo was looking fresher and felt more alive than on previous visits, and it also showed signs of further improvement, in the form of new gardens, paths and general ‘spruce-ups’ to enclosures. Hopefully the older primate enclosures will be upgraded as possible; certainly the new enclosure (replacing the old lemur one) looks like it will be very good. Signage was poor, with most enclosures having only species labels, if that. Most enclosures were suitable for their inhabitants, although I thought the bird aviaries and tiger enclosure could have done with more vegetation (although this would not be possible for all the parrots). I feel that the zoo is on the right track, and I look forward to future visits.

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for the review, as I'd never heard of this place before now.

3. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great review,

In particular you audition of the lins to pictures, very helpful, thank-you.

4. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Are chinchilla common in New Zealand?

5. zooboy28

They are an uncommon, but not at all rare, pet, and I think they have come down in price a fair bit over the past decade, which will have increased the number of people who can afford to keep them. They are sometimes seen in zoos, but not commonly. Are they kept as pets in Australia?

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

chinchillas were imported into New Zealand for fur farming. That didn't really work out so well, so they were sold into the pet trade instead. They're pretty widespread but nowhere near as common as, say, guinea pigs or rabbits. I think Otago still has restrictions on the keeping of them in case they escape and become established in the wild (I remember back when they first started getting sold as pets there was quite a bit of concern that they might become the next pest species). They used to be expensive but the price has come down considerably since the early days.

I think they'd make a good display animal in a nocturnal house (not that any zoo in NZ keeps them like that though!).

7. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

I don't think that you can legally keep them in Australia, much like hamsters.

8. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's a shame really. I have a friend in England who couldn't believe I had never seen a hamster until I saw hers.

9. zooboy28

You can't keep hamsters here either.

10. zooboy28

I think the other imported meerkat, also female, is referred to in a recent article, but does not give a date:

Full story here, although no further info on Pouakai Zoo: Animals Behaving Badly: Black And Blue At The Zoo | Stuff.co.nz

11. Chlidonias

I noticed that. My supposition, given that a body was never found is that it was either killed by a predator (dog or cat) or was actually stolen rather than escaped.

12. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Pouakai Zoo announced on their facebook page that the zoo is up for sale.

13. Chlidonias

very interesting.

I also note (looking at their Facebook page, posted on December 16th) that someone made an official complaint to the Commerce Commission about them calling their generic lions "Barbary lions" (i.e. false advertising). This is something I've mentioned before on the forum here: their lions came from Paradise Valley Springs and are descended from basic circus stock, and yet Pouakai have always promoted them as Barbary lions even though they must surely have known that not to be true. I always was more amused by it than anything, but there you go.*

*It might be noted that Zion's "Barbary lions" are also nothing of the sort: they descend from Paradise Valley lions and South African imports.

14. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's got more potential than Natureland, I'd reckon. Interested, Chlidonias?

15. zankara

zankara Member

Supposedly price is $780,000

16. Chlidonias

Pouakai Zoo For Sale: Bart Hartley Ready To Quit... | Stuff.co.nz

17. Chlidonias

definitely a lot more potential than Natureland, although I think no room for expansion either. Would need to know the customer numbers and running costs to see if the price is good and if it can make ends meet.

18. Chlidonias

19. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looks like Harcourts have collared the zoo sale market in NZ.

They are also selling the Franklin property.

20. Chlidonias

Harcourts is the largest realtor company in NZ so I think its just the odds are on them