Join our zoo community

Prague Zoo Praha Prague Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by Jambo, 3 Jan 2019.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh I know, but you said there weren't any other possibilities when other European zoos, especially since the one animal we know the origin of came from another European zoo :p

~Thylo

2. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zootierliste lists Rusty-spotted cat in Prague. Do someone knows, if is on-show already ?

3. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

I saw that also on ZTL, really interesting. May it be an import from Ostrava?
    Maybe @HOMIN96 will know if there are any plans for this species in Prague ;)

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

An interesting puzzle which either @HOMIN96 or @Jana might know the answer to - on my visits to Prague over the last few weeks, I noticed an unlabelled gecko species sharing the Bornean Earless Monitor exhibit; any idea what it might be?

5. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh look at Mr. Tea drinker over here, I'm in Prague EVERY MONTH and I'm glad when I see something different than its tail and here he goes, coming once in years and he straight up discovers another species there...:mad::D

Maguari, MagpieGoose, kiang and 3 others like this.
  6. HOMIN96

List of arrivals for September is online now. Rusty-spotted cats (2,0) indeed came from Ostrava, for now on they will probably stay off-show.

Also interesting note: Zoo lists the Raggiana birds-of-paradise as coming from San Diego Zoo.

7. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I saw this little fellow last week as well, managed to get a rubbish photo of it which I'll upload when I have access to a computer in a fortnight. Had a flat tail but didn't look like a Uroplatus.

8. TeaLovingDave

Just checked and I managed to get a somewhat-clear photograph:

P1260921.JPG

ThylacineAlive and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  9. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looks like a Ptychozoon perhaps?

10. TeaLovingDave

I think you may well be onto something :)

11. HOMIN96

The Rakos pavilion is coming to life with some species already showing nesting behavior (Kea, Monk parakeet) and some species layed eggs already (Crowned pigeon, tinamou)

12. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I thought I'd write a little something about the new parrot house in Prague, though I know a few of us have visited it now there isn't much written up on it so consider this a piece for debate.

In short, I really enjoyed my time in the Rákos Pavilion. The species displayed are superb, the signage and exhibits generally well thought out, and the overall feel one gets from walking through it really is something a bit special, and certainly makes for a great addition to Prague. However, it certainly isn't without it's faults...

One of the nicest things about the house isn't just seeing rare parrots like Lear's macaw, Pesquet's parrot or Salvadori's fig parrots, but also the mixture of unusual birds these are displayed with, including Western hooded pitta (Pitta sordida cucullata, not signed to subspecies level), Helmeted friarbird and tataupa tinamou. There are a number of very nice species in the house and the signage makes a big deal of pointing out that these are all species that would, potentially, be found together in the wild, and how focusing on a single charismatic species in conservation can often help out others in the same area. The plants in the aviaries are even signed which is a real rarity.

The complex consists of an outdoor aviary for kea, followed by indoor-only exhibits for other species, then a walk through aviary focusing on Palm cockatoo, then another couple of aviaries, and finally ends on an outdoor walkthrough. This sequence is pretty good, showing a nice range of different species in very different aviaries, but unfortunately the two walkthrough sections reveal probably the biggest weakness of the pavilion which is it's depth. With the public in unobstructed reach of the birds, there is rightly a need to keep as much depth in the bird-only areas as possible, which unfortunately as the pavilion isn't widened in these points leads to a big squeeze in the width of the public paths. Subsequently they are just about wide enough for someone to squeeze past another person on the paths, but barely, and as soon as cameras and rucksacks are involved then things get very tricky. The odd raised viewing platform in the palm cockatoo section, and the ever present volunteer/member of staff keeping an eye on things doesn't help.

Fortunately, other than the flighty cockatoos the rest of the birds seemed quite calm and not too agitated by the public. Some aviaries however were showing parrot-induced defoliation, and I spent a while watching a couple of individuals chewing the leaf bases on some plants just for the fun of watching the leaves fall to the ground. I really hope this destruction slows a bit as the plants really add to the aviaries.

I guess the big test for the house will be in breeding some of the threatened parrots, if this is possible assuming pair compatibility. Seeing the post above regarding the other species in the house doing well gives me hope, but time will tell for the Rákos Pavilion.

Jobovc, Brum, kiang and 6 others like this.
  13. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wonder if large parrots should be given food wrapped in paper, or in containers, slots or tubes covered with cardboard or wood.

Large parrots have a natural drive to manipulate and crush food items. If they are fed shelled nuts in a bowl, they start chewing live plants. When looking at horticultural splendor in Rakos I immediately wondered how many plants will survive.

ThylacineAlive and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  14. HOMIN96

So I just ended my first two rounds through Rakos's house and I can't be anything but amazed...Although I do have a feeling that if you wanted to see all species, first week after opening was the best time for it :D I'm missing only one though, so hopefully I see it then, but I'm prepared to make it my new nemesis for next few months. :D

Also, the construction works on new gorilla house started today.

15. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

So which species is your new nemesis? :)

TeaLovingDave likes this.
  16. HOMIN96

It was shaping up to be Tataupa tinamou, but fortunately, on my third round through the house, I saw it. :cool:

Anyways some more talking points about the house itself, that appeared in discussions with my friends. As even though the house as a whole is great, there are some cons as well.

• As was already written here, the visitors' corridor is ridiculously tight, with a very low ceiling. I don't even want to imagine how packed will it be during summer...:rolleyes:

• While the ceilings in the visitors' area are small, the one in exhibits are generously high. This provides birds with some optical "safe space" and requires taller people to crouch a bit when they want to see some of the aviaries.

• Questions can be raised about some exhibits not having an outer aviary, however, I feel like the exhibits itself are spacious enough, while also conserving specific microclimate. Also the roof is openable, so the birds and plants do have access to fresh air and direct sunlight.

ThylacineAlive and devilfish like this.
  17. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Today, the zoo organized the ceremonial laying of the foundation stone for new gorilla house (construction work started already few weeks back). It looks like the only other animal species within this house will be pangolins. Mayor of Taipei has promised to send a pair once the house is built (in cca 2 years).

In other news, young gorilla male Ajabu has been castrated recently. No new place was found for him and this will allow him to stay in his natal group.

Nisha, Malawi, Mehdi and 7 others like this.
  18. HOMIN96

I heard something about Colobus monkeys as well, but only from not that much trustworthy source.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. HOMIN96

A new hippo male arrived from Plaisance du Touch yesterday.

In this post on director's Facebook profile can be seen the construction site of new gorilla house, so you can have an idea about its size and location. The picture was taken on 19th November. It looks like the big African exhibit will lose big chunk of its current size

20. HOMIN96

Rusty-spotted cats are now on show in Cat House, replacing Jaguarundis, who replaced Oncilla

devilfish likes this.