Join our zoo community

Prague Zoo Praha Prague Zoo News 2023

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by xmoose, 1 Jan 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xmoose

xmoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Director on fb long with Przewalski horses paddoc, already under construction (no date, I pressume thats still late 2023 or, more likely, 2024?) mentioned rhinos as next phase of Plains refurbishment, though didn´t specify any timeframe (I think this is first "official" confirmation?), and of course new polar bear complex - construction could start, optimistically, in late 2023.

2. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nah, been confirmed for a long time now, mammal curator was even showing first rough sketches in his rhino lecture.

3. aramacao

aramacao Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I read a long time ago about a masterplan at this zoo that talked about building a new arctic complex with exhibits for polar bears and pinnipeds. I also read that the free space left by the bears would be occupied by rare Chinese animals, such as giant pandas and even golden monkeys. This last species would be an absolute gem in Europe! Is there any information about this? Anything new?

Mathijs and xmoose like this.
  4. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

The site of the new polar bear complex is shown on the current map, it is on the far top left, where the kiangs are, and in their annual report the director said the Plains would now house Asian animals only, so my guess is that the Kiangs will be moved to the Plains either within the new Przewalski's horse 'House' with the new Indian Rhinos or replacing one of the American animals (bison and peccary); as far as pandas go I have no idea how the contracts have gone, but I know for a fact that the Golden snub-nosed monkeys got denied, unless something is moving in the shadows.
    The plan also showed "wild Bactrian camels" and it is a matter of debate whether they will actually bring some from Mongolia or it's just a dream of the director.
    That's all I know and can tell you, perhaps any Czech member will correct me if I said anything wrong .

Mathijs, xmoose and ThylacineAlive like this.
  5. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From a political stand point I’d imagine welcoming pangolins from Taiwan doesn’t lend itself kindly to getting pandas from China..

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Those plans fell through quite a long time ago now, due to political tensions between China and Czechia if memory serves me correctly - the arrival of pangolins from Taipan replaced these plans.... and won't have helped the tensions much.

Mathijs, ThylacineAlive and aramacao like this.
  7. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

And the contacts with Mongolia don't help either

8. aramacao

The possible arrival of the golden monkeys was too pretty to be real. If the Chinese authorities have denied them to Prague, which is a magnificent zoo, I don't think we will ever see them in Europe again...

Mathijs and Mickey like this.
  9. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

I mean, China gave them to Dublin last century not too long ago ( perhaps due to tensions with the UK, which doesn't have the best history with China), so maybe any "enemy of their enemies" or countries that are friends with them could get them? Although I admit I'm far-fetching by a lot

Mathijs and aramacao like this.
  10. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don’t think the relationship between Ireland and the UK in the 80s is that comparable to China and Taiwan at present. If it was Belfast zoo and not Dublin then maybe you’d have a point

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

If you stretched any harder you'd be needing a long-term course of physiotherapy treatment :p

12. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On January 3 an Indian star tortoise hatched at the zoo :).

Keith, Bengal Tiger and Fallax like this.
  13. HOMIN96

Because Kiangs and Indian rhinos live in very simmilar areas right? :p

Also rhino habitat will eventually replace both peccaries and bison...

Mathijs likes this.
  14. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

Although I wrote it like they would be mixed it was not my intention to make it look like it

Mathijs likes this.
  15. aramacao

If the rhinos occupy that area, will the animals that now live there (kiangs, bisons, peccaries...) leave the zoo?

16. xmoose

There was a "backup" plan in case pandas wouldn´t come in, some another asian bear species (so probably sloth bears?)
    But any construction here probably wont start before polar bears move in their new exhibit (and construction of its should start by the end of this year, at best)
    About golden monkeys - they are as "problematic" as pandas? If so, its a shame.

About those plains inhabitants and kiangs - only species so far mentioned are wisents, who will leave the areal of zoo but stay in Prague (big, natural paddock should be build for them in different part of city)
    About rest, I may just guess - bisons could probably leave zoo? They are even bred as "farm animals", if I am not mistaken (even here, in czech republic?), so probably no need to keep them in zoos, where they "just take space" for another species...
    Peccaries could move in lower part of zoo, nearby old pachyderm house which should be refurbished into South American house (not sure however if, when and how will be this project realised)
    If somebody have any real info, I´ll be glad for corrections

Mathijs, Antoine, PossumRoach and 2 others like this.
  17. xmoose

Update about plains - new (reconstructed) Przewalski horses paddock should be finished next year (spring 2024)

Mathijs and ThylacineAlive like this.
  18. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

- December arrivals from Walsrode: a pair of common ringed plovers, two male siberian cranes, male tataupa tinamou, pair of slender-billed parakeets, pair of scarlet ibis, male purple-throated fruitcrow (? no idea where this species could be exhibited, probably will stay off-show)
    - Sharjah breeding center sent 3 female rhinoceros hornbills
    - male Impressed tortoise arrived from Taipei zoo, 3 male green-backed herons from Dvur Kralove
    - new female Lear´s macaw from the UK,
    - a wattled crane and 3 pairs of red-rumped cacique from Zlin
    - two pairs of Gansi egg-eating snake from private holding

19. HOMIN96

My guess is it will either go to Rákos house to join Hyacinth macaw aviary, or it will stay in that Birds of paradise off-show breeding center, they will pair him and if they breed the offspring will go there.

Mathijs and ThylacineAlive like this.
  20. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Would they risk such a rare bird to be mixed with Hyacinth macaws and amazons? I see it rather go into the birds of paradise little house.

Anyway, if I could wish any new species on show in Rakos house, I would take pittas back. Any species. But they seem close to dying out in Europe, unfortunately.

Mathijs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.