Join our zoo community

Akron Zoo Pride of Africa

Discussion in 'United States' started by ZebraDude95, 11 Feb 2018.

1. ZebraDude95

ZebraDude95 Active Member 5+ year member

Does anyone have any guesses to which species will be included in the Akron Zoo's Pride of Africa?

2. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Pride of Africa is a 3.6 acre area that opens most likely Memorial Day weekend 2019. It will include a renovated Farmland which will be re-themed to the new area. Farmland animals will be added to the current train area. The train will be relocated to the new area and enlarged. Restrooms will be added. A new larger lion exhibit is an anchor. Other species will be confirmed later. A small gazelle species and a species of stork are possible. After this, Wild Asia opens in 2020. It is the renovated Tiger Valley. Larger tiger and red panda exhibits will be added along with possibly white-cheeked gibbons as well. More to come later in the year. This is what I have got out of the zoo so far. I will post more later.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2018
    Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  3. ZebraDude95

I was hoping that zebras would be added, since they’re my favorite animal. However, that seems unlikely. If they do add a gazelle, I hope it’s Thomson’s Gazelle. Also, I did a survey for the zoo about future plans and it mentioned meerkats and warthogs. Maybe those two will be in Pride of Africa.

4. TigerValley98

When was this survey? Several years ago. I should note that the extended master plan (beyond 2020) could include rhinoceroses and orangutans. Zebras could join rhinos in the future. Anything is possible. The zoo is still confirming species. I know there will be a Maasai village theme. As for gazelle, as long as it is a different species than the other local zoos have I will be happy. Thomson’s would be nice. I did a survey several months ago about the exhibit’s theme.

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  5. ZebraDude95

I believe the survey was from a few years ago.

6. TigerValley98

I thought so. I took that survey. It was pre-Curious Creatures.

7. wyldjaguar

wyldjaguar Well-Known Member

Architectural renderings for the upcoming Pride of Africa exhibit slated to open spring 2019.

Attached Files: