Join our zoo community

Borth Animalarium Private Zoo For Sale

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Peter Dickinson, 27 Jun 2010.

1. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

Are there still plans for lions as it has been a year and still no sign of them?:confused:

2. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They said a few months ago that they were offered lions but turned them down to put money into existing animals... I can't remember if this was online somewhere or when I was there. I never heard staff there suggest that they were going to take the lions at all.

3. Martin B

Martin B Well-Known Member

They have definitely built an enclosure for the lions, and they advertise on their website that they will arrive before Easter. Obviously this has elapsed and the website is out of date.

4. monkeyarmy

monkeyarmy Well-Known Member

Why would they take on new animals if they are selling up and have no idea if the buyer will want the lions or not

5. Martin B

Maybe they think it will increase the chance of a sale if they have one of the 'big 5' as part of the package...

6. monkeyarmy

Ah yes why would they consider the animals when there's money to be made....

Love the zoo ethics

7. Martin B

I have no idea if that is the reason, I was just speculating. I will admit that I am better at the business side of zoos things rather than the conservation/ethics side.

8. monkeyarmy

I'd agree, on a business level, if it was new to the market but as its been for sale for 5 years I doubt lions are going to have an affect. I think they'd have greater success if they rehomed the animals so the new own can build and renew as they wish

9. Martin B

Yes I can completely understand, I think they are desperate to sell now and this seemed like a good idea. In the short run it should boost visitor numbers for them this year and turnover may increase making the business seem like a 'bargain'. I don't think the zoo is marketed well for a hardcore zoo enthusiast to take over, I believe that the way it is marketed suggests it is ideal for an amateur to take over and 'have fun'.

10. monkeyarmy

Seeing as the zoo is only 2 acres I can't see the lions having much space. I can only see the add on the zoo news site where there's one arial photo not pics of the enclosures and there are few pics on their website. This smacks of someone who meaning well opened a zoo and has got way out of their depth. Also as you say it doesn't seem to be advertised responsibly and Incan just see some flash harry buying it as a status thing

11. Martin B

I beloeve in total the zoo is 12 acres, which believe it or not is the same size as Bristol zoo.

Before the lion expansion they were only using 2 acres for the main zoo which consists of old style cages and aviaries. With the lions arrival imminent they have transformed part of the other 10 acres to include new exhibits for the lions, rhea, emu, pheasants and raccoons. Previously this 10 acres had been used for domestic horses and sheep which were abandoned pets.

12. monkeyarmy

Fair enough my mistake but I still don't think it was a great move esp as lions are hardly a rarity in uk,zoos.

13. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I dont think Borth are trying to breed rare species i believe most of their animals are un wanted pets and unwanted zoo animals

14. monkeyarmy

I meant lions aren't really going to seal the deal as there not hard to come across in British zoos. I think the problem is they don't seem to know what they are. A rescue centre ? Having just read the only review of the place on here where lemurs were in the same enclosure as wild dogs and lemurs having wild dogs hanging from their tails, doesn't seem much of a rescue. Not sure it has enough education to be classified as a zoo.

I think they were well meaning but had no clue what they were getting into, adding lions to the equation isn't going to help

15. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

The problems with selling the zoo are more to do with its location, ie; low population density/ poor low level site which is very prone to flooding each year. The elderly owners simply want to retire, but it was over-priced from the start, they now realise this and have reduced the asking price several times over the past few years in their desperation to retire.
    I would have thought the lions will make no difference whatsoever in whether it sells or not, though they may be an attraction for some visitors of course. The zoo has had a somewhat poor reputation over the years and a lot of money would need to be spent on it which is yet another thing against its sale. In reality if it can`t be sold as a going concern there will be only one answer and that is to re-home the stock and try to sell the land perhaps.

16. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited last Friday . The advertising board on the main road features a lion . The lion house and enclosure appears to be finished , but work on the new area seems to have come to a halt . The old and new areas are not adjoining , the second is quite a way down a track .

Not a lot has changed in terms of enclosures in the currently used area . However , rather good signs are now on enclosures , cage furniture improved and there is much evidence of enrichment being used .

The bird collection is very nice . The highlight being the grey-breasted conures ( which came from Chester ) with 5 recently fledged chicks . The grey peacock pheasants had a well grown chick . A small nicely-planted 'tropical' aviary features a pair of Splendid sunbirds which were rather shy , I only glimpsed the beautiful male very briefly , also white-eyes and some waxbills .

I will put some photos on the gallery when I get time .

17. Devi

They don't have wild dogs. If they did then they'd easily eat a lemur!
    I don't think you can judge this place without going there and meeting the owners and staff. I lived near there for many years and have spoke to the owners a number of times, even bought my cat from them.
    They are very well meaning and care a lot about their animals. They are often given ex pets with little prep time and they spend a lot of time learning to care for them.
    The lions I was told about were a pair kept as pets that they were asked to rehome, if this is the case then what else do you expect them to do? There are not a lot, if any, places to rehome big cats in the UK, especially if they aren't a pure subspecies.

18. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

monkeyarmy was taking about your own review Devi. However he presumably doesn't know what a prairie dog is.

19. Devi

Oh dear. No, prairie dogs are small rodents.

20. monkeyarmy

Yep my mistake but still not great for the lemurs.

I have never said the owners are bad people, they probably had/have very good intentions but this is what happens when zoos are run by just one or in this case two owners, people get old and want to retire or get ill. They'd be better off turning it into charity/ community interest company and have the zoo run by comity get paid a percent of the income