Join our zoo community

Ipswich Nature Centre Proposed Redevelopment of Ipswich Nature Centre

Discussion in 'Australia' started by WhistlingKite24, 24 May 2019.

1. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The Ipswich City Council has proposed a massive redevelopment for Ipswich Nature Centre. The masterplan involves dividing the centre into habitat precincts (eucalypt forest habitat, life at night, dry vine forest and riverine wetland habitat).
    The plan also includes a substantial increase in species for the centre (lists are provided in the masterplan). Some of the proposed species include platypus, koalas, microbats, phascogales, water and swamp rat, glossy black cockatoo and free-ranging bandicoots
    Pretty ambitious list of species.
    I’m not sure how much of this plan will eventuate, but it looks absolutely fantastic!

Masterplan/ Details (from approximately page 28 onwards):
    https://www.ipswich.qld.gov.au/__da...04.-Enviro-Agenda-19022019-redacted_Part1.pdf

Last edited: 24 May 2019
  2. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

This is the one in queens park which was once really good. They had an excellent walk through aviary with a large number of species
    Last time I went there, over 5 years ago, it wad really run down.

3. WhistlingKite24

I have visited the place a few times (first time in 2010, most recently in 2018 - photos below).
    Ipswich Nature Centre - ZooChat
    It’s a small place with a lot of potential, hopefully it receives a good renovation.
    I agree, the walk-through aviary is definitely the highlight.

Zorro and Jambo like this.
  4. WhistlingKite24

A recent media statement released by the Ipswich City Council discusses the proposed $10 million dollar masterplan that will hopefully occur over the next decade. The plan is broken up into stages and key species mentioned include Platypus, Rakali (Australian Water Rat) and Koala.

Full statement: Ipswich Nature Centre plan: Eagle, platypus and koalas : Ipswich City Council

5. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are phascogales still apart of the plan?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. WhistlingKite24

It’s probably too early to tell at this stage. The masterplan mentions Brush-tailed Phascogales but considering this species isn’t currently in zoos it seems unlikely.

Kifaru Bwana and animal_expert01 like this.
  7. WhistlingKite24

Visited today. Stage one of Ipswich Nature Centre's masterplan has been completed with the construction of an eagle aviary [New Eagle Aviary - ZooChat]. Whilst this new exhibit isn't very tall, I thought it was a very nice addition for the centre and it is great to have the Wedge-tailed Eagle on display. Their eagle is a wild-born animal that was shot in 2017 permanently injuring her left wing. Despite undergoing extensive surgery, she was deemed unreleasable due to her inability to soar properly. I am glad the centre were able to give her a good home.

Other bits and pieces from today's visit:

*both species of quoll [Eastern and Tiger] are still at the centre which is excellent. As they are exhibited side by side it's always very interesting to compare both species Ipswich Nature Centre seems to be the only place in south-east Queensland that has quolls on display currently.

*there was a Spectacled Monarch (Symposiachrus trivirgatus) in the walkthrough aviary which was a bit of a surprise. I think it must have been a wild bird that had managed to get into the aviary but there is the possibility that it could be a captive/rescue bird. I will have to find out. I'd forgotten how good the walkthrough aviary actually is; a nice variety of pigeons, parrots, chestnut teals, yellow figbirds (S. v. flaviventris), blue-faced honeyeaters, buff-banded rails, bush-stone curlews and a white-faced heron.

More photos of my visit today can be seen here: Ipswich Nature Centre - ZooChat

Kifaru Bwana and animal_expert01 like this.
  8. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Ipswich nature centre seem to be improving all the time, they are putting a nice collection together. I am a little surprised they are the only holder of Quolls in SE Queensland, I seem to remember that Alma park/Queensland zoo use to breed them often!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. WhistlingKite24

Ipswich Nature Centre was recently awarded $320 000 from the council budget to put towards some short-term projects (pathway shelters) as well as their masterplan: "including design and construction on program of works identified in the masterplan, pathway shelters". Division 3 highlights: Works to reinvigorate unique attractions and suburbs : Ipswich City Council

I just realised I didn’t actually flesh out the masterplan like I thought I did. Often links stop working so I usually do a big write-up for that reason. To summarise some of the main points - five ‘icon’ species will be highlighted at the centre which are brush-tailed rock wallaby (at the centre currently), wombat (at the centre currently), koala (not at the centre), quoll (at the centre) and phascogale (not at the centre). Interesting that the strategic plan selected phascogales and I hope they will be definitely be showcased in some manner. Also, each habitat zone would have a habitat centre for smaller species and would act as a gateway into each habitat zone. Each of these habitat centres would be for the ectotherms.

The masterplan discusses the extensive species selection criteria involving whether species were relevant to the south-east Queensland bioregion, their thematic potential, availability, husbandry requirements, visitor appeal and conservation status. They also mentioned that some species may be collected from the wild under permit from state agencies and overall evaluated the percentage of the species range in Ipswich which was the main influential factor. There are some interesting choices like jacanas, microbats and the Brush-tailed Phascogales which are virtually non-existent currently among Australian zoos. Other new species like the kingfishers and fruit-doves should be easier to acquire.

The three planned habitat zones are:

*Eucalypt Forest Habitat:
    The koala would be the icon species of this habitat which is a species that hasn’t been at the centre for many years. The city’s faunal emblem, the Brush-tailed Rock-wallaby would be highlighted prominently alongside the koala as well. A new proposed aviary would be constructed along with exhibits for koala and dingo (to replace the old one). A strength of this area is the plan to maintain existing exhibits which are all the best ones of the centre – the enclosures for the monitor, rock-wallaby and kangaroo/emu are all excellent and currently fit for purpose. The proposed enclosure for Wedge-tailed Eagle has already been completed. A habitat centre with 4-6 invertebrate species is also proposed with a walled reptile exhibit.

Mammals: Koala, Common Wombat, Eastern Grey Kangaroo, Brush-tailed Phascogale, Brush-tailed Rock Wallaby, Tiger Quoll, Squirrel Glider, Northern Brown Bandicoot, Rufous Bettong, Dingo

Birds: Bush Stone-Curlew, Laughing Kookaburra, Tawny Frogmouth, Red-tailed Black Cockatoo, Australian King Parrot, Turquoise Parrot, Pale-headed Rosella, Rainbow Lorikeet, Scaly-breasted Lorikeet

Reptiles: Frilled Dragon, Eastern Bearded Dragon, Eastern Bluetongue, Lace Monitor

*Riverine Wetland Habitat:
    The platypus would be the icon species of this area with a dedicated building for them, Rakali and aquaria for their prey species including amphibians. Other exhibits planned include a riverine walkthrough aviary and a swamp wallaby enclosure. There would be habitat centre at the entrance of aviary for 4 to 6 species of amphibians, invertebrates and fish. A magnifier for microscopic aquatic life is also being considered. They also hope to make the waterway that runs through the centre more visible and highlight the wild species that live there. There would also be an entry orientation plaza for group gatherings/keeper introductions.

Mammals: Platypus, Swamp Wallaby, Swamp Rat, Rakali/Australian Water Rat

Birds: Bar-shouldered Dove, Comb-crested Jacana, swans, ducks, herons, ibis, kingfishers.

Reptiles: Eastern Long-necked Turtle, Brisbane River Turtle, Saw-shelled Turtle, Eastern Water Dragon

Additional amphibian, fish and invertebrate species.

*Dry Vine Forest Habitat:
    The habitat centre would have a signature 2 x 3 metre aviary for the threatened Black-breasted Button-quail along with carpet python, skink, tree frog and invert displays. The main aviary for this zone would be the currently walkthrough aviary which would definitely fit in perfectly with this habitat zone. A new pademelon exhibit would be located seemingly where the dingoes are currently located.

Mammals: Eastern Long-eared Bat, Little Pied Bat [microbats really seem unlikely personally but they discussed the potential to establish wild bat roost instead], Black-striped Wallaby, Short-eared Brushtail Possum, Red-legged Pademelon

Birds: Glossy Black Cockatoo, Australian Brush-turkey, Eastern Whipbird, Black-breasted Button-quail, Pied Currawong, bowerbirds, pigeons and fruit-doves, scrubwrens

Reptiles: Coastal Carpet Python, skinks

Tree frogs and invertebrates.

10. JM01

JM01 Active Member

Is this all still planned?

11. RafikiKnowsTheWay

RafikiKnowsTheWay Member

I'd really hope it is although news or any form of updates are scarce.

My thoughts with the upcoming local government elections on March 16th is that councils focus is elsewhere at present.

I know one of the new mayoral candidates (David Martin) has advocated for the centre on his Facebook at times & is very keen to see Koala's returned so should he be successful I would again hope he pushes for progress with the masterplan!

12. JM01

JM01 Active Member

I'd really like to see Rakali

Osedax likes this.