Join our zoo community

Przewalski Horse's at Mulgoa

Discussion in 'Australia' started by elephantsmind, 5 Oct 2015.

1. elephantsmind

elephantsmind New Member

Hello,

I've observed on numerous occasions the presence of Przewalski Horses on the privately owned Fern Hill Estate at Mulgoa, near Penrith NSW.

Does anyone know the history or reasons as to why these horses are there? I've also noted a foal which means they're also breeding to some extent.

Thank you in advance.

2. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

According to this development proposal thingy from 2012 that I found (http://www.mulgoaprogress.com.au/OwnersPresentationNovember2012.pdf), "previous owners include the Darling family and renowned property developer, Warren Anderson, who established a licensed private zoo housing unusual animals including approximately 20 rare Przewalski horses that remain on the property today". Warren Anderson of course used to own Tipperary Station in the Northern Territory.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

one male and eight females were imported to the Pearl Coast Zoo (in Broome) from Marwell Zoo (in the UK) in 1987 and 1988. The zoo closed in 1992 or so, and the horses then were sold to the owners of Tipperary Station (a private cattle ranch) and from there they went to Mulgoa.

4. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So how related are these horses to the rest of the Aust population (are they part of the management program) and does the estate house any other species?

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

well, all Przewalski's Horses are related but specifically all the individuals in Australia descend from UK imports (mostly Marwell stock). The estate doesn't have any other exotics. They aren't part of the overall zoo population (but there may have been some swaps - I'm not sure). My impression was that most of the ones at Mulgoa are older animals, and (I think!) most of the males are castrated.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member