Join our zoo community

Pygmy Hippo Enclosures

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by TNT, 14 Apr 2017.

1. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The closest hippos to me are at Bristol Zoo, and dispite it being one of my favourite zoos, it's enclosure is really disappointing.

What pygmy hippo enclosures would you say are the most impressive in terms of both the visitor and animal?

2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Plzen for outdoor viewing, and Berlin for indoor. Dvur Kralove for night-time viewing (!).
    I can't really think of a single exceptional one in the UK.

TNT likes this.
  3. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd agree with Berlin! Never seen Plezen. Id say London zoos is okay, far better than Bristols at least.

4. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

London's is ok, they've got a good land area, some water and a decent indoor house. Whipsnade's outdoor area is good, although I rarely see them outside (think they often hide in the little shelter boxes, maybe it is a little exposed for them?), but the indoor house isn't great, although it does provide relatively more space for the pygmy hippos than it does for the common hippos at also live there

TNT likes this.
  5. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

The Problem with that speices is-in most zoos, the indoor exhibts are defintely too small with a too hard ground ( rain forest animals do need a soft floor substarte!) so Berlin, Marwell ( I like their outdoor exhibit-its huge, but without a Pool-it seems, nobody at Marwell know how to keep Hippos) Plzen, Bristol to name just a few. We have a long Winter time in Europe, so PH have to spend six or seven month a year inside in this tiny indoor quarters.... Leipzig Zoo has good indoor exhibt , but no outdoor exhibit, so Thumbs down for that point. Zoos still have to learn so much about the welfare of both Hippo species.

Arizona Docent, Crowthorne and TNT like this.
  6. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's gotta be either San Diego or Singapore Louisville also has a decent one, and Pittsburgh is opening one in two weeks and it looks like it's going to be fantastic

7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I only recall seeing a couple here in the States - San Diego and Gladys Porter (also Reid Park years ago, that one is long gone). None are great, but SD is ok (aesthetically pleasing and well shaded, but a bit small).

8. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think Louisville is the best that I've seen (I've seen a few here and there). Hopefully Pittsburgh's will turn out nicely.

natel12 likes this.
  9. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've never seen a good one in the USA. Hogle Zoo had a concrete pool years ago, Brookfield Zoo had them in a concrete exhibit in what some Zoochatters call Tragic World (Tropic World, not sure if they still do) and Omaha has them in a concrete box in the Lied Jungle exhibit. I've never seen one with natural substrate.

10. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

I thought Tanganyika had a pretty decent one. It's nothing crazy in design like San Diego's but I only had positive feelings towards it.

11. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I can understand why you find Bristol Zoo's pygmy hippo exhibit somewhat disappointing.

However, if you think it is small for the pygmy hippos, bear in mind that it used to house black rhinos and they really did look cramped in there. Nevertheless the black rhinos bred successfully there several times (including the first UK breeding of the species).

12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

13. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

14. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

The pygmy hippos at Brookfield now live exclusively at the Pachyderm House, with outdoor enclosures that have large pools for them to submerge in.

In the US, pygmy hippos are still held indoors year-round at Lincoln Park, Franklin Park, and Henry Doorly.

San Diego is the best that I've seen, but I've only seen them there and at the two Chicago zoos, so it's not much competition.

TNT likes this.
  15. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am confident that pittsburgh's will become one of the best in the us

TNT likes this.