Join our zoo community

Aquarium of Quebec quebec aquarium

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Cat-Man, 24 Jul 2011.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A new walrus calf is due this summer from Arnaliaq. Unfortunately last summer the second female Samka died of an infection so it will just be a single baby this time around.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. TZFan

Polar bears Taiga and Eddy have gone to Cochrane for the year while their exhibit is renovated.

3. TZFan

Aquarium Du Quebec announced that they know Arnaliaq's pregnancy will not be successful. There is a post on their facebook page explaining things more but I don't speak French so I have no idea what has happened. The google translate version of their post says Arnaliaq is doing well.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Be nice if more details transpire. Unfortunate this since walrus breeding is few and far between.

5. Pier-Luc Chouinard

Pier-Luc Chouinard Active Member

For those who understand French, there is a video where the Aquarium's vet explains the situation, but here's some explanations. However, not much to say. :-/

After monitoring her condition, the team concluded the pregnancy was not successfull because (1) Arnaliaq did not take as much weight as she should have, (2) was not presenting any lactation and (3) was overdue.

The vet goes on stating the birth of two walrus 3 years ago was exceptionnal as these animals do not breed often in captivity. She also comments on the fact they are rare in zoos, so their husbandry is still a subject of research.

Otherwise, Arnie's health is perfect so far and she doesn't have any side effect from the failed pregnancy.

I am sorry I could not provide you with more info. I apologie for the mistakes in my post, English is not my first language. ;)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. TZFan

@Pier-Luc Chouinard, thank you for telling us English speakers what happened. I was hoping someone would be able to translate for us. Google translate can only get us so far. And your English is very good from what I can tell.

Sounds like she just reabsorbed the fetus for some reason, since a stillbirth wasn't mention or miscarriage. Just means they will try again next breeding season.

Again your help is very much appreciated!

7. Pier-Luc Chouinard

Pier-Luc Chouinard Active Member

Youre welcome, if similar translation is needed, msg me and I will be happy to do in my spare time. :)

Stillbirth and miscarriage were definitely not mentionned, so your hypothesis seems to most plausible.

8. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited the aquarium over the long weekend. Pictures will come soon.

9. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

2 owls have arrived April 1st,they are named Stewart and Gizmo.

10. drill

drill Well-Known Member

species?

11. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

I don't really know,in the Facebook post it said that one was European and the other was American but they didn't said anything about the specie.

12. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm thinking Eurasian eagle and great horned owls: the two species I saw on my visit last year.

13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Yes, the Facebook post says that is what they are, and they have photos of both birds on the post.

14. TZFan

Female grey seal, Chinook, passed away at 31 years old.

15. TZFan

The aquarium has closed again due to Covid 19. Refunds for any tickets bought are being offered.

16. TZFan

Female Atlantic walrus, Arnaliaq, has passed away. She was put under to do testing after she went off her feed and was exhibiting other signs of illness. Unfortunately while the tests seemed ok they could not wake her. More testing will be done to find out what happened. The other three walruses seem fine at the moment.

17. TZFan

Polar bear, Kinuk, has arrived from Zoo Sauvage and the aquarium's Eddy has returned from Cochrane. They are both settling into the new habitat and will slowly be introduced to each other in hopes that they can live together.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2020
  18. TZFan

Polar bear, Shouka, has arrived from Zoo Sauvage to join his brother and Eddy. The brothers have already been introduced and are loving being together.

I think this effectively signals the death blow to the deal with Toronto of polar bears for walruses. Im not sure they could handle 5 adult males.

19. TZFan

Polar bear, Eddy, was put down in June after the aquarium found issues with his kidneys was causing a rapid decline in his health. He was 21. Guess its a good thing they were able to secure Shouka and Kinuk.

The article I'm posting below is in French but google will translate it for you.

Aquarium du Québec: l'ours blanc Eddy est décédé

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. Aelita

Aelita Well-Known Member