Join our zoo community

Questions about Toledo Zoo & Detroit Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by TriHornedRhino, 5 Mar 2023.

1. TriHornedRhino

TriHornedRhino Member

Hey all, I have been following these forums for a couple years now and have finally made an account. I've been a zoo keeper for about 4 years and worked in a zoo setting for almost 10.

I've visited about 29 zoos and aquariums in the US and will be traveling with several other zoo keeper friends of mine to the Toledo Zoo and Detroit Zoo 2 weeks from now.

I've never been and I'm curious about which species and exhibits at these places are a "must see". I will also be bringing my camera and was curious if any areas are especially good for photography?

JVM and Platypusboy like this.
  2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

At Toledo, you absolutely must see all of the indoor exhibits (especially the ProMedica Museum of Natural History) as well as Pheasantry.

At Detroit, I would prioritize the Amphibian Conservation Center, the Polk Penguin Center, and some of the large outdoor yards.

3. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@TriHornedRhino In addition to birdsandbats’ suggestions, Detroit’s polar bear complex is generally pretty highly thought of.

@birdsandbats I know you personally don’t like Arctic Ring of Life, but I’m still surprised you didn’t even mention it considering how widely praised it is throughout much of the rest of the zoochat community.

4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

"some of the large outdoor yards"

5. sleemon

sleemon Member 5+ year member

I have been a docent at the Detroit Zoo since 2005, and I know that we have arranged private tours for groups of zookeepers in the past, either with docents or keeper staff. Don't be afraid to ask! you can reach the volunteer office by email at [email protected]. Be persistent. If the volunteer office doesn't want to help, see if they can put you in touch with Elizabeth Arbaugh, curator of mammals. If you give them some advance notice they may be able to arrange for you to go behind the scenes.

Because the habitats mostly use moats for containment, you can get some excellent pictures at all of the outdoor habitats. Some of the docents who are the most active photographers are Roy and Patti. If I've done the links right, you'll be able to click on their names and get an idea of what you might see at the Detroit zoo. World class exhibits include the 4-acre polar bear exhibit, the $30 million penguin conservation center (with 5 species of penguins), and the National Amphibian conservation center. I spend a lot of time volunteering at the free-flight aviary, which is a bit like a tropical vacation in winter. The Toledo Zoo is most famous for its Hippoquarium, and it offers some behind the scenes tours of some of its exhibits.

StoppableSan and SwampDonkey like this.
  6. TriHornedRhino

TriHornedRhino Member

Thanks to you all so much!
    We are getting set to go there next week so this information is super helpful, will definitely be posting some images of these zoos to their forums.

ZooElephantMan likes this.
  7. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Toledo zoo. Reptile house is a must. Don't be fooled cause it's old. They have some wonderful species there to surprise you, and one very large salt water crocodile too.

8. phraps

phraps Member

Toledo is also one of very, very few places you can see a tuatara outside of New Zealand

junglejim likes this.
  9. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Also last time there they the flying snake, and also a taipan too.

10. TriHornedRhino

TriHornedRhino Member

I knew about the tuatara, but the taipan and flying snake would be a fun addition!

11. phraps

phraps Member

I don't believe the taipan or sea snake are there anymore, sadly, but the flying snake still is iirc.

12. Lucas Lang

Lucas Lang Well-Known Member

For Toledo Zoo, I recommend to visit the Reptile house and museum, they have many wonderful species!
    For Detroit Zoo, I recommend the amphibian conservation center part, and don't miss the Wolverine, they are the symbol of Michigan State.

SwampDonkey likes this.