Join our zoo community

Pairi Daiza Questions (again!)

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Writhedhornbill, 20 Sep 2008.

1. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I know that I have asked many many questions about paradisio, but as there is a chance of me going within the next month, I'd love to know more!

Is the Tropicana house open again?
    Is Aceros cassidix still kept?
    Is merops Bullocki still kept?
    Are the baby shoebills on display?
    Is Grus monacha still kept?
    Is Ciconia boycina still kept?

Also, is there much new at the park?

2. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

Q1 yeps, it was closed because the trumpeterbirds were nesting and defensive about it, but it's opened again. with any luck you can spot them with their chick.
    Q2 If I'm not mistaking, you can find a pair of those in the tropicalia greenhouse.
    Q3 oh yeah, a whole flock of them
    Q4 they were last time I checked. allthough they're not so baby anymore
    Q5 yes a single female but she's off display.
    Q6 yes, a pair of them, at the end of the crane walk (you'll have to look through the windows to view their enclosure.

and as to your last question: define new. when was the last time you visited? and I'll tell you what new to expect.

3. Gorilla Gust

Gorilla Gust Well-Known Member

Next month? Then there is no problem, but keep in mind that it is the last month of the year. At 2 november they close for the winter again... ;)

4. Writhedhornbill

I last went in 2003.

I'll be there on around the 20-25th of October

5. forumbully

some things you probably haven't seen yet then:

[​IMG]
    the raptorvillage with various eagles, bearded vultures, king vultures, owls and a walkthrough aviary with several african and asian vulture species

[​IMG] the chinese garden. the biggest one in Europe, next to the authentic buildings yourll find red panda, muntjak and the crane islands here.

[​IMG] "shivering in the dark" an exhibit under the big tower. first you walk through the bat display but if go down the stairs you'll find several vivaria with venomous snakes, lizards, scorpions, frogs and a touchpool with anemones, sea-urchins, ...

[​IMG]
    The Mersus Emergo: I'm not sure if this opened in 2003 or 2004. but it's a replica of the famous whalehunter. on the islands around you'll find the shoebills, tapir, Hippo and siamang. Inside there is an big reptilehouse.

and a little preview of the 2009 project (should have been 2008, but well, zoos and deadlines ... )
    [​IMG]

a big Indonesian space with authentic temples, a small hut village, tropical plants. The main feature will be a herd of elephants. other animals include king cobra, asian porcupine, hornbill, mongoose and various bird species.

6. Writhedhornbill

Thanks Forum Bully and Gorilla gust

7. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you have any pictures or a description from the actual elephant enclosure? I have seen a number of pics but most of them show only the terraces in the middle - and give no idea what the elephant enclosure will actually look like. Same for the barn.

Thanks!

8. forumbully

I just took a quick look on our site, but I have no pics of the actual enclosure online. My girlfriend probably has a few on her pc somewhere, but being the good man that I am, I'm not going to browse around in that.

if we get a chance today, we'll look them up and post them. but as we are leaving for holidays tonight, I can't guarantee it.

9. Writhedhornbill

Forum-bully, does the park still keep wattled brush turkey and Bare throated bellbird?

10. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

I would like to help you but I realy can't answer your questions. We need other experts for that... But when I look at ISIS there are 2 female Wattled Brush Turkey at Paradisio and the other once I can't find :).

11. forumbully

they used to have 5 brush turkeys. most of them have gone to other parks.
    they still have 2 very old birds off exhibit.

the bellbirds I have absolutely no idea. can't remember having seen them, but that's no guarantee of course