Join our zoo community

Rainforest halls

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Jurek7, 25 Dec 2007.

1. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hello,

Which zoos have indoor rainforests halls. Something more than free-flight rooms for birds, which exist in many zoos.

I know these halls:

Europe:
    Zurich - Masoala
    Arnhem - Burgers Bush
    Prague - Indonesian rainforest
    Cologne - Rainforest

United States:
    Bronx Zoo - Jungle World
    Brookfield, Chicago - Tropic World
    Omaha - Lied Jungle

I seen Masoala in Zurich and Arnhem, and both are very interesting. What do you think about them?

2. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

We have a Rainforest in Copenhagen Zoo. It's a little smaller than the Rainforest in Cologne, so it should be on the list.

Burgers Bush in Arnhem is just fantastic! :D

3. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Chester zoo has the Tropical realm.

Does Walsrode and Avifauna?

4. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

i don't think the Tropical Realm at Chester can really count...

I only really know of Arnhem and Zurich's indoor rainforests

5. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Cotswold wildlife park also has a small rainforest exhibit, Bristol zoos bird house was redeveloped a few years back into a walk through rainforest exhibit, if i remember there were free flying crowned pigeons and an aviary for tarictic hornbill, and was joined to a large free flight aviary, but my abiding memory of the house was the smell, it was horrendous and undescribable.

6. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Walsrodes large "Regenwald" (rainforest) is (however cool) more of a free flight birdhall

7. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Topeka-the first of its kind.

8. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

9. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

How could I forget Randers!? That's just embarrassing... :eek:

Their Rainforest Domes has to be some of the best i have seen :cool:

10. Rookeyper

Rookeyper Well-Known Member

Cleveland Metropark Zoo in Ohio has a large rainforest building, lots of neat exhibits.

11. Trebaruna

Trebaruna Well-Known Member

Avifauna doesn´t have a rainforest hall. thats just a free flight aviary that happend to be in some sort of a greenhouse ;) It's not very big.

In planckendael (belgium) a new asian hall was opend last year. Some free flying birds, but also some enclosures for gibbons, python, birds etc.
    The plants will still have to grow before you get a rainforest feeling though...

12. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

In France, Montpellier zoo (Zoo du Lunaret) just opened a huge rainforest exhibit based on South-america.
    I think the big Tropenwald in Walsrode can be counted as a tropical rainforest exhibit too!
    Concerning those I know, there are the African, American and Asian pavillons in Toronto zoo.

13. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

I know it's big, and I like it too, but isn't it more of a free flight hall for tropical birds? I mean, the only free ranging animals in there are birds. No reptiles or mammals, so can it really count as one of the big rainforest halls?

14. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I read somewhere about tree kangaroos, Marmosets, Mongooses and mouse deer in the house at Walsrode?

15. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They are not all in the same house but 3 separate ones

16. roynie

roynie New Member

Last time I was there (admittedly some time ago) the mouse deer were free in the main rainforest exhibit, but the tree kangaroos were in a smaller cage within the large rainforest. Same with the hornbills which I'm sure would 'enjoy' the smaller birds of the main rainforest if they were let out.

In addition to the zoos already mentioned there are quite a few more with rainforest exhibits. Even the relatively small Odense Zoo in Denmark got one, albeit rather small, a few years ago. Two others that perhaps are more noteworthy are Biodôme de Montréal (Canada) and Dallas World Aquarium (USA). These indoor rainforests seem to be one of the big trends in recent years.

17. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

You poor people in cold climates, having to keep your birds inside in Halls.

Here in sunny Australia we have large walk-in aviaries! :D

Now, if only we had some spectacular exotic birds to put in them! :(

18. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

There are (or were... at least I saw them) free ranging mouse-deers in the rainforest hall of Walsrode.
    The tree kangaroos (two subspecies of Goodfellow's) are hold in separate aviaries, like most big hornbills.
    The ring-tailed mongooses from Madagascar are held in a small cage in the Paradieshalle building which is located just behind the pheasantry. The marmoosets, which in fact are cotton-topped tamarins are in an aviary inside the big parrots house.

19. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

@Ara: At least we don't have to put Polar bears into freezers...;) Another bonus: the snow leopards, snow hares and snow monkeys here can actually play in the snow;or the popular outdoor king penguin marches in Edinborough, Munich or Zurich ...
    And additionally, we have large walk-in aviaries WITH some spectacular birds inside! ;)

Last edited: 27 Dec 2007
  20. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Yes, their tropical hall is not very big, but pretty cool. The biggest attraction in there are the manatees in their large pool. Free ranging, you can finde goldenheaded lion tamarins, pygmy marmosets, two-toed sloths, green iguanas, sunbitternes, grey-backed trumpeters and other birds. So i guess it counts as a rainforest hall.

@Sun Wukong: Good comeback! ;)