Join our zoo community

United Kingdom Ramsgate Zoo / Merrie England Zoo / Monkey Jungle & Zoo (approx 1926- approx 1965) , Ramsgate, Ken

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by zoowhosewho, 17 Dec 2019.

1. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

No, I'm not at all sure...! Has to be the same enclosure, surely, so yes must be Asiatics. I recall them being referred to as 'Blacks', so I assumed they were NA, but as you say Asiatics were usually called 'Himalayans' in those days. The 'moon bear' had yet to be discovered, was it by the same explorer who named the 'painted dog' and the 'red-crowned crane'..?! Anyway, we were taken into the indoor house where I can remember high ceilings and 'nesting baskets', and saw where the work was starting on a steep outdoor, wooded enclosure. All looked very good, by any standards. Presumably the bears were still at LL..? It was a big project and they were proud of it, but our interest was really out of politeness(!) and was a bit false, I'm afraid - I think we were there to collect a Geoffroy's Cat.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2019
  2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Yes Glasgow received Asiatic black bears from Loch Lomond; see the link below for details.
    Glasgow Zoo - Now Closed

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Certainly elevated nesting baskets were mentioned in the contex of the award winning enclosure. I imagine they're pretty standard for modern bears -- certainly Jersey's Spectacled (whoops I mean Andean!) have them.
    'Red-crowned' Crane gets me every time. It's not a Balearica sp., so let's not have any confusion. Despite any political stuff, I'll stick with 'Manchurian' or at a pinch, 'Japanese'.