Join our zoo community

Rare Tree Kangaroo 'sighted'

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by CDavies98, 19 Aug 2018.

1. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. SpinyLiving

SpinyLiving Well-Known Member

Hooray!!!!
    Let's Celebrate!!!!!
    Wildlife Community Rejoice!!!!!

TheGerenuk likes this.
  3. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm normally extremely skeptical of this sort of thing, but if even Tim Flannery thinks it's a Wondiwoi, it sounds like it might be the real deal. I hope they're able to find fecal samples and can prove it without a doubt.

CDavies98 likes this.
  4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

5. Nate Brother

Nate Brother Well-Known Member 5+ year member

With this and the possible Zanzibar Leapord sighting, it has been a good summer for supposedly extinct wildlife.

6. SpinyLiving

What about the confirmed Newfoundland White wolf sightings?
    THAT WERE CAUGHT ON VIDEO
    No joke
    It was even featured on Animal Planet!!!!

7. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think you're mixing up two things - newfoundland wolves and white coyotes found in newfoundland. While there's been confirmed shootings of wolves, they aren't the subspecies; they likely came over from Labrador or were released pets. Sighting an animal in a range it used to inhabit, especially one near where it still lives and involving a species often kept as a pet, is very different from finding an individual species.

Animal Planet isn't a trusted source, either. Heck, it came from a show called "Extinct or Alive", the entire idea behind it is making the public think these species could be real, even if they have to manufacture things, distort or hide facts, etc., in a similar vein to the Megalodon shows. Most of what they air now is propaganda (when it's even animal related).

8. SpinyLiving

I never knew that
    Thanks for clearing that up Tinopup

9. CDavies98

I missed this bit of news - sounds incredible though, if true!!

10. CDavies98

My thoughts exactly!

TinoPup likes this.
  11. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

12. SpinyLiving

Just pointing this out but the Zanzabar Leopard caught on camera and the Newfoundland White Wolves caught on camera were taken by the same person so....

13. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Did they actually catch a Newfoundland Wolf on camera (or at least what they claim is a Newfoundland wolf)? I seem to remember that episode differently...

Edit: Okay after going and looking at the episode they got thermal footage of what they say "appear to be two canines".

Last edited: 21 Aug 2018
  14. SpinyLiving

Hey caught two canine shaped heat masses that were too big to be dogs or coyotes on thermal
    They than followed the heat masses by thermal drone for a while
    They also found evidence of wolf kills and even came across a recently killed moose that had canine bite marks on it

15. Nate Brother

Definitely true, but I think the leopard has more solid evidence than the wolf. I am very skeptical of Animal Planet discovering extinct species shows, as they can often exaggerate the evidence to engage audiences. With the Newfoundland Wolf, they found a large candid running by on a thermal camera attached to a drone. The Leopard was spotted on a trail camera that had been set up on a game trail, and the features do look like the Zanzibar leopard. However, not exactly much is known about Zanzibar wildlife, and it is possible that it was just an African Leopard that had been brought over and the camera just made it appear Zanzibarian. I do find it suspicious that the cameras were conveniently turned off when the discovery was made, as all other camera reviews had been filmed, but i think there is enough evidence there to have a serious debate.

TinoPup likes this.
  16. Nate Brother

I think the best example of that show exaggerating events is when in an episode on Madagascar where they were searching for the pachylemur, they found some footage that, to anyone remotely familiar with Madagascar wildlife, was obviously a Fossa. However, when the show found it, they basically said, " OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT? IS THAT A PACHYLEMUR! THIS IS SUCH GOOD EVIDENCE! " And that continued for 12 minutes until they found more footage of the Fossa and said, " Ooooooh, its a Fossa, who could have guessed?" o_O

Joker1706 and TinoPup like this.
  17. SpinyLiving