Join our zoo community

Recent addings to former holdings (Zootierliste)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Animallover1998, 28 Apr 2020.

1. Animallover1998

Animallover1998 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi people of ZooChat, hope you're all keeping yourselves nice and safe at home during these quarantine times.... I've recently been spending some time off this website to focus on some other things and hopefully wait until things start to get back to normal (Which probably won't be up until June or even September depending on how things turn out).

Now I know Zootierliste can be a bit of a funny site at times.... sometimes you might find a species that isn't listed on the current holding may still be at the collection despite being placed instead to the former holdings.

Speaking of which I have noticed recently that there have been some major changes to the former holdings of some collections (most notably Dudley & Paignton Zoos). A lot of past species have lately been added onto the former listings for both of these collections, majority of them have been bird species.

For example, among some of the birds that have been added to Paignton's list are:

-Scarlet macaw
    -White-naped crane
    -Western crowned pigeon
    -Sclater's crowned pigeon
    -Pied crow
    -Southern ground hornbill
    -Straw-necked ibis
    -Himalayan monal
    -Northern white-faced owl
    -Australian raven
    -Common crane
    -King vulture
    -Laughing kookaburra
    -Vulturine guineafowl
    -Mindanao bleeding-heart

Now, although a lot more species have been added to the list I don't really want to go on too long with Paignton's list as I don't really go there much (in fact I've only actually been there once and it was very long ago, about 13 years from now).

And as for Dudley's listing we have:

-Emu (I actually wondered for ages if they actually had these in their collection at some point, so it's not as surprising for me to see this listed in their past holding)
    -Luzon bleeding-heart
    -Red-and-green macaw
    -Canada goose
    -Egyptian goose
    -Mute swan
    -Blue-winged goose
    -Grey-crowned crane
    -Scarlet ibis
    -Golden eagle
    -Blue-eared pheasant
    -Northern gannet
    -Superb starling
    -Edwards's pheasant
    -Bateleur eagle
    -Congo grey parrot
    -Ruddy shelduck
    -Rose-breasted cockatoo (or Galah)
    -Secretary bird

Again, won't go too deep into listing ALL of the bird species that have been added on there.... I don't really have a problem with these recent addings at all, especially considering how old both of these zoos really are, so of course they must have had a dozen species that just haven't been added to the ZTL listing yet.

I wonder if whoever's modifying the lists might also focus on adding mammals, reptiles, fish or amphibians to some of these former holdings for other zoos across the UK.....

Of course, if you remember seeing a species at either of these collections that haven't made it to the ZTL inventories then please let me know below. I think I do recall someone mentioning they had a photo of King penguin at Dudley from a very long time ago....

2. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As regards ZTL, there is a privacy warning urging me to avoid using the site, as hackers may try to steal my information. Does anyone know what has happened and whether ZTL will soon be safe to use again?

3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Probably a security certificate issue - in which case it's no more safe or unsafe to visit than normal - just a glitch in the digital paperwork to confirm it. Sure it'll be sorted soon.

pipaluk and Dassie rat like this.
  4. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I've run into the same issue before; it is indeed an issue with their SSL certificate, and one that I've been told happens with some frequency because it expires when nobody is around working on the site to renew it. Hopefully it should be up within a couple days.