Join our zoo community

Regarding "Shoebill in an unspecified location - 2012"

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by dillotest0, 16 Jan 2022.

1. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I see that a recent picture of a shoebill I uploaded has since been deleted, on the account that it was not myself who took this picture of this shoebill, albeit a family member of mine.
    I assumed that since this family member had lent this picture, and other pictures, to my ownership, it would be fine for me to upload to ZooChat. To add, this family member essentially has nothing to do with this shoebill.
    But in any case, I guess I will upload pictures that are only explicitly part of my collection in future. I meant no harm in uploading this shoebill to ZooChat.

Kakapo likes this.
  2. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

If such a rule is in place, and their is no alternative, would any moderator reading this have the kindness of deleting all of my photos from the ‘Mysore Zoo’, ‘Animal and Zoo ID’ and ‘India - Wildlife’ categories, as they were taken by my parents or other relatives and not by myself. I would have reported them, but that would take an inordinate amount of time.

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I believe the issue is that the description you left on the image gave the impression you had zero connection to the photograph, and implied it was a random photo found online:

"The creator of the folder's photographs specified the locations of only a few of them, such as the San Diego Zoo, where this shoebill probably not was. However, looking at pictures of zoo shoebill exhibits, I am led to think that this shoebill probably lived in the Zurich Zoo."

So this explanation changes matters somewhat; we are in active discussion as to how best to proceed :)

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Yes, looking at the description you gave of the photos - I also got the impression that these photos were from some unrelated 3rd party.

I don't have a problem with you uploading photos that were taken by a family member - but it would be best in future to mention that in the description. This is on the assumption that they don't actually have a problem with you uploading the photos to ZooChat!

I have myself uploaded photos taken by my father when I was a child.

To be clear:
    • photos from distant cousins who happen to be professional photographers would not be acceptable - copyright really does become an issue then
    • photos from friends is also generally not acceptable, regardless of whether they give you permission or not
    • I will accept immediate / close family members where they are okay with you uploading the images.

Your photos have been reinstated - thanks for clarifying!

5. Simon Hampel

You're all good - as mentioned in my previous message - provided that your family are okay with you uploading their photos to ZooChat, it's fine.

Junklekitteb likes this.
  6. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was given some Bristol Zoo photos from the 90's by a friend for the purpose of scanning them in to be posted onto ZooChat. With what you've said in mind, I wouldn't be allowed to post them, despite their historical significance and having permission to do so?

Shirokuma likes this.
  7. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I have concerns about this. I have close relatives with whom I have no contact whatsoever. We are completely estranged. On the other hand I have friends who are close enough to be family members. I don’t understand why this distinction is made.

On this subject, all these photos which I uploaded of takins in Bhutan should probably be deleted as they don’t meet these apparently arbitrary standards.

TNT likes this.
  8. Simon Hampel

It's simply about copyright.

The family factor is indeed arbitrary and is based on the assumption that there will be implicit agreement due to your close family relationship and no documentary evidence required. Of course, I'm assuming you've asked that family member if it is okay that you upload the photos to ZooChat. If you have estranged family members then the assumption is that there would be no agreement - implicit or otherwise - and thus you should not upload photos taken by that person.

If this is still confusing to you - then simply don't upload any photos that you have not personally taken and own the copyright to.

TinoPup likes this.
  9. Shirokuma

Frankly bizarre. Why should you deem a family relationship a valid one but not a friendship relationship? Do please delete the Bhutan takin photos as quickly as possible given the serious copyright issues which could take down the whole site.

TNT likes this.
  10. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Copyright is a serious issue. As a website owned and run by one person as a hobby, Sim does his best to keep any potential legal issue from happening, to protect himself and the website as a whole. Even if you are estranged from your family, you still have a connection to them; the same can't be said for friendships that end.

Last edited by a moderator: 10 Jun 2022
  11. Shirokuma

My point is that saying a family member is a valid connection but a friend is not is exclusionary. What about LGBTQ people, a community who are disproportionately impacted by family rejection? In many cases friends are their de facto family.

I can assure you have zero connection to people with whom I share DNA but incredibly strong ties to friends who have supported me in life.

These assumptions about what constitutes a valid connection have a toxic past. Friends and partners of gay men dying of AIDS in hospital were denied access but homophobic family members could waltz in and take over. Funerals could take place without life partners being present, even knowing about the arrangements.

I maintain that this is an arbitrary rule based on assumptions which are exclusionary and heteronormative. I feel incredibly strongly about this.

WalkingAgnatha likes this.
  12. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Your paragraph about AIDS is exactly the point. Family, legally, is considered different from those who are friends, no matter what your emotional ties are. If Sim were to be sued by someone, it would make a difference in how the situation is viewed and what the potential outcome could be. This isn't an emotional discussion and has nothing to do with various situations, or your assumptions of me. This is purely from a legal perspective.

13. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@Simon Hampel would you be able to address my post from the 19th January please?

TinoPup likes this.
  14. dillotest0

oh dear, it looks this shoebill has caused some complex discussion on copyright law!
    I look forward to adding more shoebill to the photographic collection of mine in future, as so he is not too lonely..

TinoPup likes this.
  15. Simon Hampel

Was there any part of my previous posts which didn't answer the question you posed?

I'll restate it here:

It is unfortunate that there may be some content that gets missed because of this rule - but I have to draw the line somewhere and this is where I've chosen to draw it.

To be clear - as the publisher of a website, I am personally responsible for the content that gets published here - even if posted by other people. I choose to take a cautious approach to dealing with these issues - and I have had to deal with legal issues over copyright in the past, so these things do come up.

Zooplantman likes this.
  16. Simon Hampel

I think my rules are pretty clear and simple - again, this is where I've chosen to draw the line because it has to be drawn somewhere.

It has nothing to do with your personal situation and as I said - if you have photos which don't meet the criteria I've specified, don't upload them to ZooChat.

TinoPup likes this.
  17. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I support Sim's decision to protect himself legally as he sees fit.
    I do marvel at his assertion that
    Apparently Sims doesn't know families as many of us do :D

Mr Wrinkly likes this.
  18. dillotest0

I am rather sorry for any troubles my shoebill may have caused.. :(

19. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Oh shoebills can be troublemakers. You can't take personal responsibility for everything a large bird does. :D

TinoPup likes this.
  20. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There is a good chance that the bird in that picture is the one on my profile picture, if you would take personal responsibility for all my bad behaviour too, that would be nice @dillotest0 ;)

amur leopard and TNT like this.