Join our zoo community

Reid Park Zoo Reid Park Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'United States' started by BeardsleyZooFan, 12 Feb 2013.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No. They used to years ago, but there has been a huge turnover in zoological society staff and for whatever reason they are no longer interested in my images.

2. Arizona Docent

The zoo administrator (what most zoos call director) retired in April. Applicants for the position have been narrowed down to four or five people (I forget which). They are supposedly all on the grounds today for tours and final interviews. We should have a new leader shortly. (I have no idea who they are or where they come from, except that all but one are from out of state).

3. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo's Facebook says that the male Black-Necked Swan is on exhibit.
    Amelia the Guanaco will be on exhibit in the next coming weeks.
    AD, what about the other swan in the pair?

4. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Obviously a new leader may result in a new direction in terms of new exhibits, but what does Reid Park currently have planned for the future besides converting the old ele exhibit into a hippo exhibit? Is there a master plan with potential new exhibits?

5. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo is busy converting the polar bear exhibit to house 3 Alaskan brown bears. The mandrill habitat is being converted for lemurs. And the Golden Lion Tamarin's are getting some minor improvements. To compensate for the closures the zoo is offering a free kids pass with a paying adult.

Up to 3 Alaska brown bears will call Reid Park Zoo home

6. BeardsleyZooFan

It says nothing about Golden Lion Tamarins. The zoo doesn't even have them. The article says Lion-Tailed Macaques.

7. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Geeze thats twice in two days I've misread something and posted it. Im sorry. I need to read more carefully clearly.

8. Arizona Docent

There was a new ten year master plan adopted late last year, but surprisingly the zoo is not publishing it. The docents saw it one time, and since I was seated on the opposite end of the room (and did not have my distance glasses), I could not make out any of it. But here is what I know.

The two major construction projects that are being given priority (and will require a lot of fundraising) are a hippo exhibit with underwater viewing (at old elephant) and a zoo hospital, possibly with some visitor viewing. A potential long term idea that was thrown in (and I personally doubt will happen) is for the city to reroute the drive through the park that goes along the west end of the zoo (right next to the South America exhibits) to the other side of the main lake in the park (e.g. further west). Then the zoo would take over the lake for a South America expansion. This would be completely awesome, but do not hold your breath. It will likely be several years before they even break ground on the hippo or health center.

The other black neck swan has not been procured yet, but we are actively looking for one.

9. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

- For a smaller sized zoo thats an amazing amount of projects being planned.

10. Arizona Docent

Yes, but being planned and being implemented are two different things. Only time will tell...

11. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

12. Arizona Docent

I guess that explains why the master plan has not been made public yet. I did not realize the city council still needed to approve it.

13. BeardsleyZooFan

14. Arizona Docent

Nice find on the video! What it does not show is that it is over 100 degrees farenheit every day for those poor construction workers who are out in the sun.

15. Arizona Docent

new zoo director

Our longtime zoo administrator (eg director) retired in April. After a nationwide search and on-site interviews with five finalists, we have chosen a new leader. Jason Jacobs has accepted the position. He comes to us from the Los Angeles Zoo, where he was marketing director (I think). I have briefly (very briefly) met him on the grounds of L.A. Zoo on two different occasions. He is young (from my perspective) and is from a much larger institution, so I think he will bring some exciting changes to the zoo. According to the zoo's Facebook page, he starts in mid August.

Now, I just need to find out how he feels about small cats...

16. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

17. Arizona Docent

It does sound like he says "Yellowstone National Park in Alaska," but what he actually says is "Yellowstone National Park AND Alaska." Both areas have bears to offer and it is unclear yet which place we will source them from. (What we are hoping is there will be cubs available when the exhibit is ready, in which case we would choose whicever one has cubs).

18. BeardsleyZooFan

The male Black-Necked Swan was named Sullivan.

19. BeardsleyZooFan

According to the zoo's Facebook, Amalia the Guanaco seems to be on exhibit, and the Roseate Spoonbill hatchlings have fledged.

20. Arizona Docent

The grizzly bears have arrived and are currently off show while work on their exhibit continues. They are a brother sister pair, 18 months old, from a reservation in Montana.

Rescued Grizzly Bears Arrive - Reid Park Zoo