Join our zoo community

Reid Park Zoo Reid Park Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United States' started by TZFan, 18 Jan 2017.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Interestingly enough, the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium in Tacoma, Washington, has had several "bond issues" over the years that have passed with approximately 65% of the public vote on each occasion. What is the difference between Tacoma residents supporting their local zoological park and the Tucson, Arizona, residents not supporting their local zoo? Do folks in Tucson not see the excellent Reid Park Zoo as deserving of new exhibits?

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Another article on the tax proposal.
    Uncertain future for Reid Park Zoo after Tuesday election

In happier news, here is a clip on the red panda, which goes on exhibit this weekend and throughout the winter. The footage is shot inside the exhibit so it is hard to tell where in the zoo it is, but I think it is the king vulture aviary which is a closed off section of the larger walk-through aviary in South America. (If so, the zoo is clearly not concerned with geographic continuity).
    Zoo 4 You: Preparing for the red panda

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It would be interesting to know the underlying reasons and issues why a Tucson electorate would vote in favour of vote 1 and deny vote 2 by a small margin.

It is such a contradiction that it is more than a tad mind boggling to put it diplomatically ...!

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Votes are still being counted (10,000 uncounted as of the following article eight hours ago). The proposal can still potentially go ahead even without a pass on 203. The difference between the vote counts may be "the fact that thousands of voters left the Prop. 202 measure blank on their ballots."
    Tucson zoo tax proposal remains unsettled with 10,000 votes uncounted

5. snowleopard

The propositions passed and Reid Park Zoo is going to undergo a transformation with new animals and exhibits. Yes!!!! Director Jason Jacobs has already been featured in a video talking about a new tiger habitat, a playground and even a building that can possibly house small mammals, reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates and fish. Another American zoo has greatly benefited from individuals willing to support their cultural attractions.

6. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Huzza! This is bloody fantastic! I must admit to having my doubts that the tax would pass. I sense a bright future for what's already Arizona's (arguably) best zoo.

On another note; Red pandas will make their debut this weekend

Red pandas to make debut at Reid Park Zoo

7. Arizona Docent

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. Arizona Docent

Here is a local news clip on the red panda. Viewing it confirms my suspicion it is in the king vulture aviary in South America.

9. Kifaru Bwana

I am equally glad your fellow denizens got it past.

10. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

That is good to hear! I didn't even realize there was a problem with this as I live up in the Phoenix area and we don't get much news about Reid Park. Well, we don't get ANY. I'm not sure we even had news about the arrival of the 5 elephants from San Diego, but I do believe we were told about the 2 grizzlies, but that was because they were wild-born.

11. Arizona Docent

A few updates from my visit November 15, 2017.

Red panda is the big news (one there now and another on the way). It is in the king vulture aviary in South America (which has been renamed the Tropics Trail). Signs on the exhibit ask visitors to be quiet. There will eventually be viewing from both inside the walk-thru aviary and outside, but currently the walk-thru is locked so viewing is from the outside. Huge crowds turned out over the weekend and when a guest in the gift shop today asked if they had any stuffed red pandas the worker said they sold out on Saturday.

The one remaining lar gibbon has moved from its new exhibit to its old exhibit following the death of its two companions. The new exhibit is currently empty but the new zoo map shows it with ruffed lemurs. Today the ruffed lemurs were in their old exhibit and the ring tailed lemurs were off exhibit (the new map shows ring tails here). I presume they will be moved shortly.

The former warty pig exhibit (next to the empty new exhibit mentioned above) now houses crowned cranes.

A new American alligator exhibit is almost complete across from the tiger and unoccupied gibbon (in the former sarus crane exhibit). The gift shop has a display rack devoted to alligator souvenirs and a large sign saying "coming soon to Tucson."

The capybaras have moved to the former guanaco and llama yard. The signs for guanaco and llama have been removed so I have no idea if they are still at the zoo or not.

The perches on macaw island as well as the signs have been removed and there are no macaws on exhibit.

The dwarf caiman are gone (not sure if they died or were transferred) and the exhibit is left with pacu and yellow spotted turtles.

12. snowleopard

Since there has now been a press release, I can post some information on ZooChat that I was made aware of earlier. Reid Park Zoo Director Jason Jacobs has resigned from his position in order to become the Director of the Sacramento Zoo in California. Jason was chosen from a field of 38 candidates and 5 finalists, and he has family members in nearby Walnut Creek. That means he will now be an hour away from close family rather than an entire state away in the desert of Arizona. Congratulations Jason! :)

Sacramento Zoo names new director as it continues $75 million transformation

13. Arizona Docent

14. Kifaru Bwana

Congrats to the esteemed Park Director.

I do hope though he has thought of and assists in finding a suitable replacement at Reid Park Zoo just as they succeeded in getting the funding gap bridged locally for their Masterplan.

15. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Arizona Docent likes this.
  16. Arizona Docent

With any medium or large nonprofit zoo (including Reid Park), there is a committee that interviews qualified applicants to chose a new director. I do not think an outgoing director has any say in the matter, nor should they necessarily IMO.

17. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

StoppableSan and Arizona Docent like this.
  18. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Arizona Docent likes this.
  19. Arizona Docent

The new animal care center (eg animal hospital) has just been completed. A new American alligator exhibit is nearing completion across from tigers (former sarus crane exhibit).

Last edited: 26 Dec 2017
    StoppableSan likes this.