Join our zoo community

Closed renewal request

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by MRJ, 5 Jan 2017.

1. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I keep getting a request to renew with a two step verification about once a month. Bloody annoying. What can I do about this?

2. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

what do you mean by "renew" ?

Do you mean validate your two-step authentication every month? That's normal for security purposes. Happens to me every month too.

Kind of pointless having additional security if you just bypass it by arbitrarily long login periods. I think 1 month is a good balance between being nagged too much and making two-step authentication pointless.

4. Simon Hampel

I get alerted to posts in the help and feedback forum, so posting here is a good approach too - especially if it's something that potentially affects other users.

5. MRJ

Yes that is what I meant. Sorry seems like complete overkill for a chat group, especially as we went through how many years on the old site without it. To add to the frustration I have to hunt our a Gmail email account I had to establish just to get onto it the first time every time this comes up.

6. Simon Hampel

So just turn it off?

2-step authentication is completely optional. It's there for people who want some extra security on their accounts.

Naturally, I use it on my admin accounts - but on many other forums where I'm just a regular user, I don't bother. I use randomly generated passwords that are unique to every site I register on so even in the worst case scenario that someone was able to hack the site, access all the user credentials and then brute-force guess the password - they could only ever access that site and couldn't use the same password on any other site I use.

At the end of the day, most people won't care too much if their forum account got hacked ... just so long as you don't use the same password for your internet banking or other important sites. If you follow reports about some well publicised hacks, in 90%+ of cases that's exactly how they got in - compromise one "unimportant" account and then use it to access another "more secure" account where the same password had been used.

7. MRJ

That was sort of the point of my request - how to do that. It seemed that it was not possible but I went looking and found it now, thanks.

Agree entirely on the password and indeed my Zoochat password is unique to Zoochat.