Join our zoo community

reptile keepers

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by jackyboy, 21 Jun 2008.

1. Pacarana

Pacarana Well-Known Member

Agamas sp. in general are a skittish species. There are a few exceptions, like some painted agamas, but for the most part very flighty. The codylids that I have owned have always been very scared of movement and run at almost everything. I'm training one of my male smaug mossambicus by handling him more. It still freaks him out though and I've got bitten many times.

2. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've never been bitten, but sudden movements will make them bound up the nearest plant or under the nearest cave. It's possible to touch them, but when you actually try to pick them up they freak out.

3. Pacarana

Interesting. Do the agamas come out often though, or do they hide most of the time? My smaugs are always hiding in there rocks and only come out when I spray water. I noticed with the Kenyan or Red-headed agama that there colors aren't as pronounced as some of the pictures on the internet of them. Does your male have good coloring?

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/imgs/512x768/0000_0000/0108/0879.jpeg

Update

Smaug Mossambicus - 2.2

The shipment came in a couple hours ago with two female smaugs. So far they are looking good. I'm looking for a vet close to my area or a cheap place to send some fecal samples. Maybe I'll try some Panacure on them but I haven't decided If I want to risk it.

I'm currently researching the idea of one of my males being a smaug regius. If there isn't another revision placing them into one sp. than I'm sure I have a regius or hybrid. If I do have a regius than my project will have to go on hold until I find another male.

Lygodactylus Williamsi - 0.1

Thought it was a male, found out it was a very beautiful female.

4. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My male does have good colouring, but it's variable and when he does my camera doesn't pick it up brilliantly. As for whether they hide alot, my male is quite bold and will bask relatively peacefully. My female stays in the cave alot, but can sometimes be seen basking, so long as I don't startle her in which case she'll either try and scramble up the wall or under the nearest cave.

Edit: Attached a pic showing his colours better.

Attached Files:

5. Shouganai

Shouganai Member

I have a few lizards, but nothing breeding right now worth mentioning.

My snake collection is as follows:
    1.1 Antaresia childreni
    1.1 Boa dumerili
    1.2 Boa constrictor imperator (specifically the 'hog island' insular locale)
    1.1 Charina bottae
    2.1 Elaphe gutatta (specifically the 'Okeetee' type)
    1.1 Eryx johnii
    1.0 Gongylophis muelleri
    5.8 Gongylophis colubrinus
    1.2.15 Gongylophis conicus (newly born litters, don't recall the sex ratios atm)
    2.3 Lampropeltis triangulum (both Honduran and Sinaloan subspecies)
    1.2 Lichanura trivirgata (coastal and Mid-baja licales currently, looking to expand)
    0.1 Orthriophis taeniurus friesi
    2.2 Python regius

I think that is it! :)

6. Pacarana

Small update on my collection -

0.1 Lygodactylus williamsi (soon will be 1.1)
    0.0.3 Loveridge's Limbless Skink

7. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have a male thick tailed gecko, a male spotted Python and a breeding group of 4 Asian house geckos (there genders are unknown). I also use to have a male snake necked turtle but he sadly passed away from an unknown disease. I know this is quite an old thread but I figured I would resurrect it.

8. animal_expert01

What does all this 2.0 and 3.2 mean? How many animals is it referring to?

9. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's a shorthand way of describing numbers and genders. 1.0 is a male, 0.1 is a female. A group of three males, five females and 24 unsexed young animals would be 3.5.24

10. animal_expert01

Thanks heaps!

11. Teddy Dalton

Teddy Dalton Well-Known Member

i know this is an old thread but seeing as it's recently bumped i figured i'd add to it. i have burmese pythons, reticulated pythons, a macklott's python, a blue tegu, a kingsnake and boa constrictors. i'm hoping to add another maklott's, olive pythons, more burms, more retics, more boas, an anaconda, a water monitor, another tegu, other monitor species, other python species, some ratsnakes, a few vipers and a crocodilian species.

12. animal_expert01

That's a lot of big reptiles!