Join our zoo community

Request for an obscure document

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Ituri, 31 Dec 2007.

1. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A few years ago, when the San Diego Zoo was trying to sell voters on their Park Boulevard concept plan (building a parking garage and turning the parking lot into more exhibit space) there was several documents of interest posted on their website. One of these was a collection plan of sorts that layed out the different bioclimatic zones they wished to create and a sampling of what animals might be in such a zone. I believe it was in jpeg format which is kind of strange. Anyway, I used to have this document and sure enough I didn't keep it when I switched computers and now it is lost and gone forever. I figured I'd post here on the extremely slight chance one of you has any idea what I'm talking about. Thanks.

2. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

I've heard mention of this plan on these boards...

Do you know is it still theoretical or in the works..?

I'd love to see these plans..!

3. Ituri

The 1984 bioclimatic plan is now defunct, at least in its details. The plan to expand into the carpark however I'm not sure of the status of. The only other bit of information I have is that the zoo is currently developing a new master plan. I'm not sure who is doing this, although Falcon's Treehouse is doing the Wild Animal Park's master plan. Anyone know more?

4. NZ Jeremy

The 1984 bioclimatic plan, what was the details of that..?

That is the plan I've heard mentioned on this site, I can't remember which thread unfortunately but the poster seemed to think it was a go, I know their big development at the moment is Elephant Odyssey...

Yes please does anyone know of the details of either..?

As an aside, have you tried contacting the zoo directly..? Surely they must have it somewhere and can e-mail it..?

From what I've seen on the web the Zoo/Park are both still very much arranged by animal type rather than biome or geography (e.g. Cat Canyon, Heart of the zoo/primates)...

5. Ituri

The details of the 1984 plan are what is contained in the document I'm trying to obtain.

I have tried emailing them, they are most unhelpful.

The zoo largely is still taxonomically arranged however if you start in the new Heart of the Zoo "Monkey Trails" You can follow one path that links all of the African tropical forests or a second path that links all of the Asian tropical forest exhibits.

The new elephant exhibit will not be a bioclimatic habitat per se, but I guess it essentially will be a North American grassland biome exhibit, just 20000 years ago or so.

6. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

What species are going into elephant odyssey? I've heard elephants (obviously!) and also lions.

7. NZ Jeremy

All I know is whats on their website, as Ituri said California in the Ice Age (or the current species most like the ones of that time)...

8. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

The Lion exhibit at San diego is the worst I have ever seen. It's shocking! Concrete pits and a moat and it's only about as big as the old bush dog enclosure at Chester, the circular one.

9. Ituri

From the drawing I've seen I wouldn't expect the new one to be much bigger :(