Join our zoo community

Research Enquiry

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Bagpuss, 23 Aug 2008.

1. Bagpuss

Bagpuss New Member

Hi,

Do you have any old photos of the following four sites? Or any old guidebooks or site maps? Did you visit the sites in their early years?

1.) The old Cromer Zoo, located on Howards Hill, Cromer, and open from 1962 - 1981. It was run by Olga and Alex Kerr.

2.) Banham Zoo - I believe it opened in 1968.

3.) The Norfolk Country and Wildlife Park, Great Witchingham. It opened in 1961 and was run by the prominent natural historian Philip Wayre. It has recently been bought and turned into a new venture called the Animal Ark.

4.) Kilverstone Wildlife Park, Thetford. I believe this was run by a Lord and Lady Fisher, closing in 1991 after 18 years.

It would be fascinating to talk to anyone who has memories of these sites when they first opened.

My enquiry forms part of my research for my cultural geography dissertation. I am looking to reconstruct the past and present animal geography landscapes of small-scale zoos and wildlife parks in Norfolk and Suffolk from the 1950s to today.

Any help or information, however big or small, would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Ruth
    Geography BA
    University of Nottingham

2. reptile1517

reptile1517 Well-Known Member

The old cromer zoo

This may not be of any use now as I have only just seen your post.

CROMER ZOO. As you say, this was run by the Kerrs until Alex's death and then it ws run by Olga his widow. Alex Kerr was a "lion tamer" with Bertram Mills and that is probably where he met Olga who is Coco the Clown's daughter. Their daughter, Tamara Coco had her own circus and her husband is one of the Hassani Troupe of acrobats.

I went to Cromer on one occasion. A baboon was nearly out of his cage (no exaggeration) having picked all the chain-link fencing away from the support. I am uploading a view of the lions which you may find interesting. I have more photos but can't find them at present.

Attached Files:

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cromer Zoo

I went there once about 1970. I remember lions, one or more Pumas in very basic runs, a young Asian Elephant ditto, also an Eyptian Vulture sharing a small round aviary with two Griffon [I think] Vultures, Skunks & other small mammals under cover, one or more Pelicans, a few ornamental ducks & cloudes of white pigeons all over the place. Just up the road was Birdland, run by the Porritt family, while not far away was Kelling Park Aviaries. More info on all these collections if you want...