Join our zoo community

Retrospective: A Year on Zoochat

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by pendraig_milnerae, 30 Aug 2021.

1. pendraig_milnerae

pendraig_milnerae Well-Known Member

To this day it has been exactly one year since I first joined zoochat, and it is safe to say that a lot has happened in that time frame. As an autistic person with a hyperfocus on natural history this site seemed a perfect place to talk about my interests, especially given the inability to talk about it much in real life, especially with those I live with, having already bored them to death about this subject. In real life the past year has been very difficult, as it has for many of us, and I have experienced a great deal of situations I did not expect, some good of course, but also a lot of them not so much. So how does this relate to zoochat? Well, I’m some ways it is a form of escapism. Following a hard day or something major happening in life, it’s nice to come into hear and just talk about the things I’m interested in (the other aspies on here will know how consuming a ‘special interest’ can be), and the people on here have never been pretentious or judgemental for my lack of knowledge, and as a result I have learned a great deal, but most importantly they have been incredibly kind. A year on it’s interesting to look back at what has happened, but I think joining this site may have been more important than many would guess. So thank you all.

Neil chace, Zoofan15, Strix and 6 others like this.
  2. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Nice thoughtful post. I am sure many on this site share your feelings.