Join our zoo community

All Things Wild Review of All Things Wild 23 August 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Crowthorne, 24 Aug 2019.

1. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

2. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I have done said experience and hand fed the Silver's - you're right, they are leaner, a bit taller and the snout more elongated. They are not a great deal bigger over all though and they seemed to coexist quite happily. One is black / silver and the other silver all over - assuming they still have the same animals as at the time we went.

Pertinax likes this.
  3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited today in the company of @cliffxdavis and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. Stars of the show were obviously the jackals, which aren't so shy any more and were quite obliging when it came to photography and just viewing in general. I was also suitably impressed with the size of their reptile exhibits; I don't think I've ever seen a corn snake, leopard gecko, or bearded dragon displayed with such inventiveness and with such space. Managed to see all the special species even if they were asleep in some cases.

Well worth a visit if you're in the area, maybe not so much if it involves a lot of travelling. But yeah, a good collection with some interesting species. Only minor criticisms are it has a homemade feel to some enclosures and the Dino Safari takes up valuable exhibit space. :)

4. Brum

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crowthorne and pipaluk like this.
  5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think I've seen footage of fur farmed Arctic Foxes in metre square cages.

Pertinax likes this.
  6. Brum

One other thing I forgot to mention is they've recently received two male red kangaroos to mix with their greys. Not mentioned on ztl so if anyone wants to add them...? :)l

cliffxdavis likes this.
  7. Brum

Amazingly I had the fortune to revisit this place yesterday, this time with @devilfish and @FunkyGibbon for company. Again, an enjoyable visit, even if the weather wasn't quite as friendly as before...

In the three weeks since my last visit there have been some changes, with the major one being the raccoons and coati have moved over to the enclosure between the macaws and jackals. This is a significant upgrade in accommodation, whilst also leaving the former enclosure empty. In other more personal news the Virginia opossum was off-show because the barn it's housed in was shut off for veterinary treatment, therefore I've still only seen one as a sleeping ball of fur. I imagine that's all I'd have seen this time as well, but it may have been in a different position... ;) Also seems there has been a fair bit of grounds maintenance with the fixing of wobbly posts and things of that nature, which is good to see.

Another enjoyable visit, again nothing to complain about. :)

Crowthorne and devilfish like this.
  8. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Just one male red and two male greys I think?

Another rarity on show is American Robin, in the Zebra Finch aviary.

I am quite torn about how to feel about ATW. On the one hand they have some nice species, and friendly staff. Enclosure quality and presentation was highly variable, but there was nothing really awful or fantastic (although the genet cage is at the low end of the scale and the jackal exhibit quite the opposite). I think at the end of the day it is just a place totally focused on families; I shouldn't expect to enjoy the aesthetic or the atmosphere and the fact that the collection is so juicy will have to remain a welcome mystery.

9. Brum

There was definitely 2.0 red a few weeks ago, I didn't bother counting this time.

Which I didn't see... :(

devilfish likes this.
  10. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

It was the other way around - one grey and two reds. :)

Brum and FunkyGibbon like this.
  11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Very interesting!

12. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw that American Robin before it left Prinknash Bird Park, and wish someone more thrush-knowledgeable than me, would look at it. I just wasn't convinced it was an Ametican Robin, but was more likely to be one of the Asiatic thrush species, which are being bred over here, but about which I know almost nothing.

13. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Having just googled American robin I think you are right, the orange breast is much smaller on the ATW bird.

FBBird likes this.
  14. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

Have they reduced their entry prices for adults? I am sure the last time I went it was around £15, because I felt it was pretty expensive, considering I could get into the Cotswold Wildlife Park for the same price. Just checking on their website now, and it is now £12.99 at the desk or one pound cheaper online.

15. Brum

I don't know about reduced price but it is definitely £12.99 currently. Cotswold costs £16 in comparison.

16. BeakerUK

BeakerUK Well-Known Member

Yes. I know, as you can see. Does anyone know if they have reduced their price?

17. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I agree - I initially thought it looked like an olive thrush but wasn't sure if that was because I saw several in South Africa earlier this year, or because I'm not familiar with variations of American robins. Having looked it up I think this is more likely to be an Abyssinian thrush but have asked an expert friend to confirm.

18. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Whatever it is, it would be nice if someone could upload a photograph of it to the gallery :p

19. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Could some please confirm if this is the species at the collection -

Orange headed ground thrush

20. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Or is this the species at the collection
    American Robin or is it something completely different?

Attached Files: