Join our zoo community

Oakland Zoo Review of Oakland's California Trail

Discussion in 'United States' started by Arizona Docent, 29 Jun 2018.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As reported in this thread Oakland Zoo - $70 Million California Trails - 2015 Completion? the new California Trail expansion opens to the public on the revised date of July 12, 2018. Since my visit had been set for late June to coincide with the original opening date, a staff member from zoo marketing agreed to give me a tour (thanks Daniel) and said I could post photos.

The new expansion is set on the top of a hill above the existing zoo and is reached via a custom-built Swiss gondola. The upper station includes a restaurant, which sadly I did not have time to use as I had to leave early to go to the airport. The expansion is a large loop that begins and ends at the station/restaurant. Going counterclockswise, as we did, the first exhibit is a children's education center and classroom that also has large glass panels for viewing the grizzly bear exhibit, home to four orphaned bears (two litters of two). Outside across the way is an overlook with an impressive view of the entire Bay Area and the large bison yard below. (The downward viewing is a bit awkward IMO).
    Walking on we encounter the first of two black bear exhibits, also home to four orphaned bears (a mother and three adolescent cubs). It has a couple mature oak trees and an artificial pond (mostly drained currently) right near the front glass. Next is the second and nicer exhibit, though at the time of my tour the front overhang fence was not yet in place so the bears did not have access. The second exhibit has quite a few mature oak trees giving it a very natural feel.

Mountain lions consist of three unrelated adolescent orphans and also have mature oak trees (three or four). They were laying in a hammock at the base of a tree, but seeing them up in one of the trees would be a treat. To prevent escape the entire exhibit is covered with a huge mesh and looks at first glance like a giant aviary. Next is the outdoor glass viewing for grizzly bears which has a pool with underwater viewing, but again this pool was drained today.
    We now enter a raised boardwalk for what looks like another huge mesh aviary but is in fact one of the best jaguar exhibits I have seen. Regulars know I am a cat fanatic so this is saying quite a bit. It contains two or three very large and dense oak trees and seeing a cat in here would be a thrill. Sadly the one jaguar they have now (from Los Angeles Zoo) just arrived and is still getting used to the area so he was sitting on the platform by the holding area and we were told not to stop in the area. The zoo is hoping to bring in a second jaguar from Guatemala as a breeding partner. Eventually a large lower slope behind the boardwalk will be a second exhibit.

The inside building where the jaguar was seated has displays on California condors, which are in a large aviary of similar design next to the jaguar. Two condors are on display and there was also a wild raven that surprisingly was able to squeeze through the mesh. The zoo may add a red-tailed hawk from their education program.

This is followed by three very dense yards for gray wolves. We did not see them which is not surprising. I like giving animals places to hide but I have a hunch the lack of visibility will be a source of complaint by the general public. Finally is a large aviary for bald eagles, a group of four (I think) that were due to arrive today and not yet on display.

There is a lot for me to like here. All of the exhibits use the existing terrain and trees giving it both a natural and a consistent feel. The focus on native wildlife is important and I think something all zoos should commit part of their grounds to. The view from the top and the fun gondola ride adds to the feeling that this is something special. Considering how lackluster the older part of the zoo is (based on my very hurried run through), this is a huge accomplishment for Oakland.

I only have one complaint and it is this: the animal representation is lopsided. There is a focus on large mammalian carnivores, with one mega-herbivore and two large raptors/vultures. Where are the small mammals? Where are the songbirds? Where are the reptiles of any kind? Where are the ocean or marsh exhibits representing an important part of California? I am a fan of cats first and other carnivores second, so this exhibit certainly appeals to me. But I am also enough of a conservationist to know that the zoo has an obligation to represent biological diversity. My hope is that small exhibits will be added in the future to augment this otherwise stellar expansion.

2. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the really nice review and photo journal.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  3. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Dang I wanted to be the first one :p. They did have plans for a wetland aviary with beavers and waterfowl. Tule elk were also supposed to be in this plan. What species should have been added to show what California has to offer in your opinion?

4. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Looks good. I would hope they would exhibit Mule Deer, Bighorn Sheep, or Tule Elk. Feral Hogs, Burros, or even a couple of adopted California Mustangs would be nice as well.

StoppableSan and Arizona Docent like this.
  5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

A great review my friend...thanks! Looking at the map on the link below, I do have a few comments:

- what is the California Conservation Habitarium? Could there possibly be some vivariums in that building?

- the zoo's map lists only one American Black Bear exhibit but you mention that there are actually two enclosures. Is the map not entirely accurate?

- there is a Wolf exhibit (with an extension) and a Jaguar exhibit (with an extension) but you mention a single Jaguar enclosure and 3 Wolf enclosures. Maybe the zoo's map is a bit off?

- did you not go through the rest of the zoo? Highlights include African Elephants, Spotted Hyenas, a huge African Lion exhibit, Sun Bears, Vervet Monkeys and surely the largest bat exhibit I've ever seen in what is a very good Children's Zoo.

Oakland Zoo | Map

6. Arizona Docent

The afternoon prior I was at Point Reyes National Seashore photographing wild Tule elk (for those who don't know it is the subspecies of American elk or wapiti that is native to California). My zoo tour guide and I did discuss them as he informed me they used to have Tule elk mixed with bison in their old bison exhibit. As far as we both know, there are currently no Tule elk in captivity, so getting them would be a challenge.

The Habitarium is the children's education center that I discussed and there are no live animals there.

The jaguar extension is opposite (downhill) side of the boardwalk and has not been built yet. It will be added in the near future (but well after opening date). There are indeed three wolf yards, one on uphill side of boardwalk (at eye level) and two on downhill side. One of these two is so densely planted they are not allowing the wolves in yet since they want them to get used to being seen by people. The two black bear exhibits connect so maybe they just show it as one large area on the map?

What exhibits would I add? Just about anything. Rattlesnakes for sure, an aviary with songbirds, a shorebird aviary with a beach and bay, bobcat and/or gray fox, some kind of turtle or tortoise, maybe mule deer.

I only had about half an hour to run through the older part of the zoo which I would generously describe as outdated. The sun bear exhibit was nice and perhaps the lushest and largest I have seen, though the downward angle viewing is not ideal. Downward look on tigers is equally troubling. I did not have time to see elephants or lions (other than a distant view of elephants from gondola).

7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

If you think that the exhibits at Oakland Zoo are outdated then you would be horrified at some of the enclosures at San Francisco Zoo just 45 minutes away. :eek: Oakland has a top-notch Children's Zoo that is a 3-acre zone and it opened in 2005. Within this area is a small yet excellent Reptile & Amphibian Discovery Room with around 25 species, a well-designed House of Bugs, a Wildlife Theater, North American River Otters, Aldabra Tortoises, American Alligators, various lemurs, many domestic animals and easily the largest Malayan Fruit Bat exhibit of any zoo in the nation.

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

Nice review! The new exhibit sounds promising, but I agree that adding more smaller species as well as some more hoofstock would better reflect the diversity of the region and make for a better exhibit.

I commend you for taking a day to view wildlife in the actual wild at the beautiful Point Reyes National Seashore.

I would say that I think the rest of the Oakland Zoo is better than you're giving it credit for, but I understand you were rushed so it's all good. An expansion is certainly welcome though as it wasn't the largest zoo by any means.

9. TheEthiopianWolf03

I wouldn’t say Oakland zoo doesn’t have outdated exhibits (Chimpanzees) but many of their exhibits are very nice. They have one of the largest African elephant exhibits in the US (Not the largest by any means but top 10). The sun bear exhibit is one of the best exhibits I’ve seen for the species (In comparison to other pictures I’ve seen of other exhibits). Lions have a nice large exhibit as well as the baboons. The zoo has a handful of nice exhibits but I would say that if the zoo DOES come up with an actual master plan that they need to completely reimagine the zoo (Maybe not the children section as much). Let’s just hope the future gets more bright for this newly large zoo.

Abou what they should have added, I would have focused more on Northern California than anywhere else. Grey fox, Bighorn sheep , and an aviary with multiple biomes for sandhill cranes, black necked stilts, yellow-billed magpie, Californian quails, and other natives. I would also extend an exhibit going towards the camp site for a sea lion/seal exhibit as Californian sea lions are an animal that represents Californian sea life.

I’ll also add to my old Oakland zoo review when I go to Californian trail on July 15th. I’m excited to see what it has to offer when it’s fully done.

10. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Great Review of what looks to be a very nice area! I agree with you on the lack of smaller animals, perhaps they could've built a small house for herps and small mammals?

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. TheEthiopianWolf03

I wish but at least they almost finished their long awaited exhibit. Maybe now they can start doing new things.

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. DevinL

DevinL Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Were the interpretive materials installed yet Arizona Docent?

I hope that the interpretive materials will draw attention to the status of the California Floristic Province as an international biodiversity hotspot. There is a lot more than just large mammals and birds worth protecting in California!

StoppableSan likes this.
  13. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Plzen has Tule Elk, and they must have sourced them from somewhere. I think Berlin Tierpark does as well?

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, they do.

Apparently, also still at Wildpark - Leipzig.

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. Arizona Docent

I think you are wishful thinking on that one. Not that I disagree with you, I do agree, I just don't think it's going to happen.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.