Join our zoo community

Prospect Park Zoo Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by tigertiger, 28 Jan 2009.

1. tigertiger

tigertiger Well-Known Member

I realized that I uploaded photos of this zoo but never gave any sort of review from my last visit.

I've never personally liked the Prospect Zoo because it's a glorified children's zoo in a lot of senses. This--of course--isn't necessarily a bad thing but...let's call it what it is.

There are three entrances to the zoo but two of them are seasonal. Walking in from the Children's Corner entrance, the "Discovery Trail" is on your side. Gorgeous metal wire architecture pieces of animals line the path to the trail. The trail is similar to other children zoos in the area: a prairie dog area where children can 'pop' out (closed in the winter), a marsh with mallards and the like, a 'nest' and 'web' that children can climb and take photos in, a kangaroo walkabout, seasonally emus and hawks, a red panda (one of the better NYC panda exhibit, however), porcupine, and otters. The Aviary at the end doesn't deserve the term as there are four species of birds in the really small area.

The sea lion pool in the middle is your basic pool but with active lions. There's a barn to the side but...your basic barn.

The In Living Color exhibit is cute. All of the exhibits are themed to animals that are 'colored' for protection or the like. The exhibits all have platforms in front of them for children.

Animals in the arts is a really small exhibit. Poison dart frogs, a handful of birds, owl, meerkats, and two other displays.

Animal lifestyles is home to a great baboon exhibit, a pallas cat and two monkey displays. The baboon portion is actually a great exhibit, IMO although it may be a little but small for all of the baboons in there.

All in all the children is a great way to kill an hour with a small family.