Join our zoo community

Reviewing YouTubers Who Build Zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Smaggledagle, 27 Nov 2020.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jay's Prehistoric Pets has been very popular as of late so I'm surprised to not see him come up yet. What's everyones thoughts on him? https://www.youtube.com/user/prehistoricpetstv
    I've seen this guy before. He definitely seems a bit like your typical "bro" youtuber who goes for wild and outrageous titles and his collection of animals feel like an afterthought. Also not a fan of his setups as they often seem very haphazard and thrown together. However, I do enjoy Primitive Predators as they actually seem to know what they're doing and actually have quite nice enclosures.

LowlandGorilla4 likes this.
  2. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

His reptile breeding facility is terrible yes, I fully agree. I don't like it much either. I purely speak of his zoo. Which imo, doesn't seem too bad.

3. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

4. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

that guy is bad

he uploads like "I FOUND THIS BIRD IN THE BACK OF PETSMART" or some dumb **** like that

5. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Would 2cantv count? He "rescues" rare birds and dreams on building a toucan "rescue" using Patreon money.

6. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oh no, another one that I dislike... "Pet-tubers" are mostly pretty awful... bar a few such as Kenan (Kamp Kenan) or Crocodile Kyle..

7. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

not to mention that Brock's Toucan care isn't even that great.

I agree. Maybe you and I dislike them for different reasons but something about most pet tubers feels too haughty (or maybe I am still sad about the fact that I still can't own a pet).

Westcoastperson likes this.
  8. Strix

Strix Well-Known Member

Surely you are reviewing them all whether you think they are good or not though? It defeats the point if you only review the ones you like.

9. Smaggledagle

No of course, but I will just going to be rip into them

Strix likes this.
  10. Ursus

I got to say.
    It sure would be easy to criticise looks of enclosure based on them being DIY if you for example look at Blakes Exotic Animal Ranch, but are they immediately bad then?

I kind of feel like comparing these exotic pet owners to zoological facility standards is hard, if not, kinda not fair. Given that these people may not have the financial possibilities that zoos can offer their animals.
    Surely they give the animals the best they can offer.

I would say in your reviews to perhaps find criteria that are more suited for these backyard collections.

11. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Last edited: 2 Jun 2021
  12. LowlandGorilla4

LowlandGorilla4 Well-Known Member

13. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

If you cannot afford to hold wild animals and give them the propper care they deserve you should not keep them. Some people are capable of building good environments for their animals but some can't and just because they aren't large zoos doesn't mean we can be more lenient if they abuse their animals
    also here are some more people

14. Smaggledagle

1. The channels you guys have recommended me I already have pinned so don't worry

2. Obviously I'm not going to hold them to the same standard but if it's just like keeping animals in plastic containers or their living conditions are poor or something like that, yeah I'll criticize them

The whole point of this thread would be a who's who of YouTubers that people on Zoochat should be aware of.

15. Ursus

I personally do think that each channel so far linked in this thread holds their animals in decent care. Besides, let's face it, a LOT of hobbyist keepers keep their animals ''wrong'' if they all were to film it like these people do. This goes from exotic fishes to pet rabbits. Critising private kept animals is too easy to just ''down'' them. There's a dozen ways to keep animals and as long as the animals are being loved and taken care for I think that counts.

16. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just no. He overfeeds his snakes to the point of morbidity, he has poor breeding set ups, he hypes up his animals as "monsters", he has very poor feeding techniques with his alligators and they play it off like it's nothing. Not well respected in the reptile community.

17. LowlandGorilla4

LowlandGorilla4 Well-Known Member

That's what I most dislike about some of these channels. They hype up their animals as monsters and these dangerous "beasts" that they have formed a special bond with. Its one thing to talk about how dangerous an animal is, its another to make your entire personality around one animals reputation. This bugs me especially with reptiles as they have a bad enough reputation as it is so Jay bugs me to say the least. He's good about getting people interested in reptiles but his methods are pretty bad imo

Bisonblake likes this.
  18. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Is this thread idea still active? I know absolutely nothing about each of these channels people are mentioning but I think I would enjoy reading your reviews, @Smaggledagle.

19. Smaggledagle

TBF I kinda forgot I think i might do some reviews in the wintertime don't hold me to that since you know for the past year you haven't gotten a single review

20. Fanfin anglerfish

Fanfin anglerfish Well-Known Member

Somebody already said this but Antscanada is a great channel, recently (he has been on youtube for a very long time) bought a forest and wants to make a park to protect ants and other wildlife, discovered not a new ant species but a new type of ant in the area. He also owns some other invertebrates, reptiles and amphibians and a few fish (only in aquatic like tanks and ants are usually in there). Also has a cool rhinoceros beetle olympics.