Join our zoo community

Toledo Zoo Rhino with Crooked Horn, 2009?

Discussion in 'United States' started by cloudedleopard, 29 Nov 2014.

1. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

I visited Toledo Zoo in 2009 and found it kind of weird then- a big crocodile pond with signs about "DON'T GIVE COINS TO THE CROCODILES", an aquarium with big, creepy fish in dark tank, and a white rhino with a crooked horn. Do you remember this rhino at all?

2. Malayan Tiger

Malayan Tiger Well-Known Member

I do! I visited in 2010. I asked a keeper about this rhinos strange looks and found out this: It is a female rhino ( I forgot her name ) who rubs her horn on a tree ( apparently all rhinos do ) in a different way than most and this causes it to grow foreword instead of back . As far as I know she is still there.

3. SamMetz

SamMetz Well-Known Member

Thats Lulu. Her and the other Rhino, Sam, are still there today. :) There use to be video on the zoos youtube channel about her and why her horn looks the way it does but I can't find it now. Heres an old article about her though,

Taking good care of Lulu at the Toledo Zoo - Toledo Blade

4. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

In 2009, was there an outdoor crocodile pond with signs reading "Do Not Throw Coins to Crocodiles" and a lot of crocodiles? I vaguely remember a tuatara in a big netted exhibit, too.

5. CleZooMan

CleZooMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

RIP Lulu:(. She died today at the age of 47.