Join our zoo community

Zoológico Guadalajara RIP Chato

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Titus, 3 Dec 2009.

1. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Acabo de oír que Chato que los 23 años Silverback en Guadalajara muerto el 28 de noviembre. mis condolencias a los que le conocían especialmente sus encargados. Él deja a sus dos hijas Faustina e Iyari con su madre Chencha, ninguno cuyo genético se representan en la población parque zoológico total, en sus los propios en un parque zoológico que no sea parte del EEP o del SSP. ¿Me pregunto qué pasará con ellos? Resto en la paz Chato

I just heard that Chato the 23 year old Silverback at Guadalajara passed away on the 28th of November. My condolences to everyone who knew him especially those who worked with him.
    He leaves his two daughters Faustina and Iyari with their mother Chencha, none of which are genetically represented in the overall captive population, alone at a zoo which is not part of the EEP or SSP. I wonder what will become of them?
    Really sorry about my bad Spanish translation
    Rest in peace Chato

Last edited: 4 Dec 2009
  2. zoogeek

zoogeek Well-Known Member

I studied Spanish in high school and college and was enjoying reading this in Spanish! Well, not enjoying it, but you know what I mean. I am very sorry to hear about Chato's death.

Have the results of the necropsy come back yet?

Last edited: 4 Dec 2009
  3. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

I don't know but I heard that he had quite a few health problems for some time before his death.

4. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

I saw him about a year and a half ago at Guadalajara zoo , a great shame , he will be missed

5. joshgrossglaza

joshgrossglaza Well-Known Member

Have they found a replacement yet?

6. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Acabo de oír que Chato el gorila de espalda plateada del zoo de Guadalajara a muerto a los 23 años, el 28 de Noviembre. mis condolencias a los que le conocían especialmente a sus cuidadores. Él deja a sus dos hijas Faustina e Iyari con su madre Chencha, sus genes no están representados en la población cautiva total, en ningún zoológico, sea o np parte del EEP o del SSP. ¿Me pregunto qué pasará con ellos? Descansa en Paz Chato.

Thanks to 'Keeper' for a better translation !

As far as I know they have not got another Male. A shame as it would be much better for their well-being to be part of a full social group with a Silverback.
    As they are genetically valuable I wonder if somewhere could Loan them a Male and come to some kind of arrangement where they can take one of any future offspring when they mature?

7. joshgrossglaza

joshgrossglaza Well-Known Member

I checked the studbook; Chencha and Chato are wild born, and Faustina and Iyari are their offspring. So yes, they ARE genetically valuable. I hope they get a male soon.
    PS: There is a male in Mexico, born at the Chapultepec Zoo in Mexico City, 18 years old, and is one of two only living offspring of his wild born parents (the other is a female living at the fort worth zoo in texas). I say they should bring him over to the zoo as the replacement.

8. Adam Khor

Adam Khor Active Member

Chato died?? Wow... thats a shame, and I can´t believe I didn´t notice last time I went to the zoo (a couple months ago!).
    He was truly an impressive guy... I talked to zookeepers in the Guadalajara zoo once and they told me Chato attempted to escape his enclosure twice. The first time he was succesful, and he terrorized visitors until he was returned to the enclosure; no one was hurt, fortunately. The second time, they say, he was about to escape, but then he saw some armed guards nearby and very wisely decided to return to the enclosure by himself...

Im sure his keepers must miss him a lot. And his family, of course.

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Can anyone enquire what is happening with acquiring another gorilla silverback from the SSP?

Can we have some movement into Mexico please Gorilla SSP?

10. carlos77

carlos77 Well-Known Member

Perhaps the problem is that the mexican zoos with gorillas, Chapultepec, Guadalajara and zacango are not AZA accredited. Only Africam and leon Zoo are accredited by AZA, they do not have gorillas. Chencha, at guadalajara has 2 daughters. As i mentioned under the chapultepec gallery, Bantu, the silverback male did not get along with Arila the female from zacango.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2011
  11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@carlos77
    It is something of "J'accuse" on my part.

In this respect the AZA certainly lacks vision down south wher Mexican zoos would stand to profit. Zoos without borders ..., mind!